BLHFG 4 days a wk

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
moe

BLHFG 4 days a wk

Post by moe » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:06 am

Has anybody done BLHFG 4 days a wk? What did you week look like?

Thank you
Monique

krains

Re: BLHFG 4 days a wk

Post by krains » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:35 am

We do four days a week. We started Unit 1 Day 1 on Mon, Unit 1 Day 2 Tue, Unit 1 day 3 Wed, Unit 1 day 4 Thu, then did Unit 1 day 5 the next Mon, Unit 2 Day 1 Tue etc....

So for us to do the 34 units, it will take us almost 43 weeks. My children didn't have a hard adjusting to this, and they are doing well.

Hope that helps.

Kellie

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:44 am

We need to do four-day week some weeks (which is one reason we school year around), so on those weeks I just do one day each day and continue where I left off the next week. I am never on a Mon-Fri schedule and it works out fine. I just mainly try not to split a unit between a vacation. I may even give my son a couple of extra days off rather than do two days of a unit and then go on vacation.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

Larissa

Post by Larissa » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:51 am

I haven't done it yet, but plan to do it this coming year with my 2nd son. I will be doing Preparing with my older son - and since that is a 4 day week, I want my 2nd son on a 4 day week as well. I haven't decided yet how I want to do that, though. I was thinking that I would figure out a way to work it out to get all 5 days done in 4 days. I am just not sure yet how it will look. Just for my own sanity, I need the boys to stay in the same unit week.
Larissa
Wife to Rich (14 years)
Mommy to Martin(9)(Preparing), Aaron(7)(Beyond), Jonathan(5), and Rosalie(3)

moe

Post by moe » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:52 pm

Thank you for your responses.

I have an older dd who will be doing RtR and we have been doing a Coop for 3 yrs and my kids love it.

I will be doing 3 guides next yr so I was trying to fit the younger 2 into a 4 day wk.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:06 am

We did 4 days a week of school instead of 5 with both Beyond and Bigger Hearts. We just took longer to finish them. This adds 9 weeks to each guide, but it was worth it for us. We just took our summer break wherever we were, and finished up the next year. I liked this as I was starting my oldest ds in a new guide, and it was nice to come back to a guide we'd already been doing with my middle ds (and my youngest ds). However, some families to 5 days in 4 days of school and make that work well for them, so somewhere within all of these ideas is the right one for your family! :D HOD is very flexible, so many options are possible. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

moe

Post by moe » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:41 pm

Thank you Julie.

This will be our first year using HOD and my kids and I are so very excited for next yr. This will be our 4th yr homeschooling and I have never seen them this excited to start school!!

I think I have decided to start our school year early this yr and end and little latter next summer.

Thank you again for the responses.

Monique

totallyblessed

Post by totallyblessed » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:00 pm

I only have 4 days in a week to school my children because I work a part time job, I tried to do Bigger each day as written and then pick up where I left off the next week but I did not like it. I like to start a unit and finish a unit in the same week, it's just my preference. It was pretty easy for me to get all 5 days into 4 without adding more then 20-30 minutes to our day. They way I do it is to double up on one or two of the boxes each day. It works well for us and I am very happy that there is flexibility with HOD.
Casey
married to Shane 16yrs
dd Danielle 14yrs, hodgepodge for High School
dd Abby 9yrs, BHFHG