Do the Guides have Lesson Plans for R&S & DITHOR?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
flydena

Do the Guides have Lesson Plans for R&S & DITHOR?

Post by flydena » Sun May 15, 2011 4:23 pm

I plan to purchase Resurrection to Reformation for this fall, but we are NEW to HOD, so I am wondering if Lesson Plans are included for R&S English...I will be using R&S 4 at half speed for my daughter (is there plans for this, or will I need to divide the book in half and plan the weeks?) and I will be using R&S 5 at full speed with my son (will this be included in the plans?) I know that RtR is written with 4 day plans, but R&S is a 5 day curriculum (I think), so I'm wondering if this is all figured out already or if I need to plan this out. I know in the younger levels, when you choose a PHONICS program, you just follow the plans already in the PHONICS program, so wasn't sure if that was the same for the ENGLISH and DITHOR, or if these were somehow written in.

I'm also wondering if there are Lesson plans for DITHOR in the RtR Guide, or if I just plan this separately and add it in? I'm saving to order, and want to be planning as much as possible if it's not already planned! I already have the R&S and DITHOR so could be figuring these subjects into plans (unless I just don't need to because the guide will have these).

Thanks!
Dena
Dena
Completed LHTH w/ DD3 & taking a yr off to grow into LHFHG
Completed PHFHG w/ DD2 & taking a yr off to save CtC for Jr High
and Completed RtR w/DS1 & moving on to Rev2Rev for High School
and I FEEL BLESSED TO HAVE FOUND HOD!

Kathleen

Re: Do the Guides have Lesson Plans for R&S & DITHOR?

Post by Kathleen » Sun May 15, 2011 5:14 pm

Dena,

I don't actually have RtR yet, but I do have CtC and can tell you how it's scheduled in there. DITHOR is scheduled 3 times per week. Your guide will say "Guide students to complete one reading lesson with Drawn Into the Heart of Reading." That's all it will say as all the plans for what you as a teacher and your student do are in the DITHOR teacher manual. You are free to choose your genre and book. You'll want to plan it so that the student is making it through all 9 genres every 2 years. And you should have time for an "extra" of a favorite genre with this plan.

R&S is scheduled twice per week in CtC (and I'm assuming in RtR as well). It tells you the actual lesson that you are to complete, like Building with Diligence: Lesson 63 (half). (Sometimes on the reviews or longer lessons, only half is scheduled.) Now, the 1st half of both Building with Diligence (4) and Following the Plan (5) are scheduled in CtC. There is not a "full speed" plan in the appendix. I'm not sure if there will be a 1st half schedule available for you in RtR for level 4? I'm assuming the 2nd half of both of those books will be what's scheduled. So, you may want to work on planning that.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

flydena

Post by flydena » Mon May 16, 2011 10:57 pm

Wow! I thought you covered all 9 genres in DITHOR in one year! This makes sense to split it into two, since it does cover more than one level, but I thought you covered all 9 genres at one level, then got different books at a higher level for the next year! I just didn't realize it was meant to be split! :?

And, I definitely didn't expect R&S to be scheduled only 2 days! Could you tell me if the entire book is covered (over the two year period), or does Carrie pick and choose the lessons? I'm just thinking, even at half pace, stuff has to be skipped or else the entire book wouldn't be getting done! I thought R&S was originally written for a 5 day week, so even splitting a book over two years, it wouldn't be getting finished, would it? Oh, I can't wait to have the money I need (I've been saving :) ) to place my order, I'm sure looking through the Guide will clear up alot of my confusion! :oops: And, if Carrie doesn't do the whole R&S Book, I have no idea how I'd plan it! Eek! :shock:

Thanks!
And, any other info would be appreciated!
Dena
Dena
Completed LHTH w/ DD3 & taking a yr off to grow into LHFHG
Completed PHFHG w/ DD2 & taking a yr off to save CtC for Jr High
and Completed RtR w/DS1 & moving on to Rev2Rev for High School
and I FEEL BLESSED TO HAVE FOUND HOD!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon May 16, 2011 11:09 pm

I'm pretty sure the entire R&S book will be scheduled. We're exactly half way through Building with Diligence having finished CtC. :D I don't know what the ages of your kids are, but HOD slows down the grammar during CtC and RtR reccommending that students finish level 6 by 8th grade. So, based on your kids' ages you may or may not want to go half-speed. It has been perfect for us. :wink:

Carrie does a GREAT job of keeping the days so balanced for us. We're spending long enough, but not too long, on each subject area. I know that language arts could so easily gobble up a day otherwise. :lol: So, the dictation, R&S grammar, creative writing, and reading/lit instruction are covered within the LA box and spread out appropriately. Written and oral narrations, copywork, and notebooking are spread throughout the other content areas.

DITHOR is scheduled to be done daily in the guides before Preparing (whenever your child is ready to begin following the Emerging Readers). But, from Preparing on it is scheduled 3 times weekly for the BALANCE. :D Make sense?

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH