HOD and Science Philosophy

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tracee

HOD and Science Philosophy

Post by Tracee » Wed May 04, 2011 7:29 am

Can someone please point me in the right direction? I know there is a thread about HOD's philosophy regarding science in the elementary years, but I can't find it. I have the Apologia book Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day, and would like to use it with Beyond, because I think it would be fun and not because I think HOD is lacking in science in any way. My eyes are always bigger than my schedule though. Next year I will officially be using 2 guides, one for my 2 kindergartners and one for my second grader. I'm sure this in itself is going to be a huge adjustment for us.

I would love to read the thread about HOD's philosophy on science and maybe some personal experiences. I really would just like to use the guides as they are written, but I sometimes feel like a kid in a candy store when it comes curriculum choices. I love HOD, and it was actually a bitter sweet moment for me when we started using it, because I love to research different curricula. :?

Thanks,
Tracy
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

holyhart

Re: HOD and Science Philosophy

Post by holyhart » Wed May 04, 2011 7:40 am

These might help.

viewtopic.php?p=18435#p18435
viewtopic.php?p=57452#p57452
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

Tracee

Post by Tracee » Wed May 04, 2011 8:45 am

Thanks Kelly! That was exactly what I was looking for. I get crazy and want to do all these different things. I'm so thankful Carrie takes the time to respond and explain why they have chosen certain things for HOD. It truly helps when you hear the philosophy behind it all. Thank you for taking the time to find those threads for me. :D

Tracy
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Wed May 04, 2011 9:43 am

Your welcome! :D Actually it didn't take any time at all. There is a sticky thread at the top of the main page that is titles "the reason's behind HOD's choices". It has links to all the (or at least many of) the threads in which Carrie has explained her choices for different books/resourses/methods. It is very helpful. :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10