Opinions on cursive

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Michelle

Opinions on cursive

Post by Michelle » Sun May 01, 2011 3:37 pm

Hi,
My dd will be doing Bigger next year and I'm trying to decide between Cheerful Cursive and the Italic - Book D.

She learned to write using Handwriting Without Tears and still has issues with pencil grasp. She's used a special grippy to prevent crossover, but as soon as it's not on the pencil she goes right back to crossing over her thumb and this is after 2 years of usage! :? Any ideas on correcting this?

Also, I would like people's opinions on each handwriting book.

Thank you so very much!! :D

God bless,
Michelle
12 yo ds using R to R for 6th grade!
8 yo dd using BHFHG for 3rd grade!

pjdobro

Re: Opinions on cursive

Post by pjdobro » Sun May 01, 2011 4:18 pm

We've been using Cheerful Cursive and love it! I really like that it teaches how to read cursive not just how to write it. The lessons are fun (it uses cute characters to introduce the strokes), short, and have produced great results in both of my dc, a lefty and a right-hander. I have no experience with the other program though so I am definitely biased. :wink: :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Mon May 02, 2011 12:20 pm

My DS LOVED Cheerful Cursive!!! It also works on a little bit of grammar/alphabetizing within it too! :D My DS still holds his pencil weird and I did everything I could to correct it, but he doesn't complain about it hurting except when he has been writing a lot that day and his handwriting is really clear and legible, so I gave up on trying to fix it. Sorry I can't help more with it! :wink:
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Mon May 02, 2011 2:56 pm

I started cursive this year with my dd using A Reason For Handwritting C . It was ok, but I haven't loved it. So I decided to switch over to Cheerful Cursive while at the confrence this weekend. :D Looking at the book, I am so wishing I had started with it in the begining but I had been given the ARFH-C so I thought I would use that and save some money. I should have gone with Carries suggestion in the first place...live and learn! :roll: :lol: I love the sweet characters to help teach the strokes and I LOVE that it also teaches how to READ cursive! :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 03, 2011 3:52 pm

We've loved "Cheerful Cursive" with both our sons! :D Here's a sample in case you'd like an inside peek of it...
Cheerful Cursive sample:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4180&p=30768#p30768

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie