Doing all spelling lessons orally? Is this effective?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
striving2Bprov31

Doing all spelling lessons orally? Is this effective?

Post by striving2Bprov31 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:59 pm

We are certain my ds9 has dysgraphia. We will be finding an occupational therapist soon and have been told this is very treatable. I will also be doing therapy excercises with him here at home.

I want to keep doing spelling with him, but I am eliminating all handwriting even on the whiteboard until we get him to a certain point. Do any of you know....is it still effective to do spelling lessons with no handwriting involved at all? I have hime look at the word on the card, we use it in the sentence, he watches me write it on the whiteboard, he spells it orally from memory. Is this good??

Thanks!!

spidermansmum

Re: Doing all spelling lessons orally? Is this effective?

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:22 pm

We have done spellings orally,we have also done them with magnetic letters on the fridge .Now DS prefers to write them because that is less work.The only thing we had a problem with is sometimes we had a grey area with what was actually said-but if he can answer at the end of the week "pain -P-A-I-N " then he has learnt his spelling
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

elizawill

Post by elizawill » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:50 pm

yes, imho it would still be effective. i actually think it is more difficult to spell something from memory and not write it down. most people tend to spell better as they write (because they can "see" it) - but to spell orally from memory tends to take more skill.

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:11 am

I would make sure he's seeing it, perhaps you writing on the whiteboard as he spells. We also use letter tiles early in the week to help him "see" the pattern.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

striving2Bprov31

Post by striving2Bprov31 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:10 am

Thanks, ladies.

I suspected that he can still learn to spell without involving handwriting. You're right, I think the key is for him to see the word several times so that is will "stick" in his mind. :)

Hopefully in the coming months we can see some improvements in the handwriting department!!

Thanks! :)

Another day of choosing joy, Liz

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:06 pm

I make my sons write the word down once, then later in the day I quiz them on it orally. They really like not having to write it twice! This is what they do in spelling bees, so I thought, "why not here?" It is working for us!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

KTLM6

Post by KTLM6 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:36 pm

"Seeing" the word is very effective for many in spelling. I don't think it necessarily has to be written by the student. I picked up a technique off of a website that has been very effective. I put the word on a flashcard (usually just an index card). I use two or three colors of markers. I put consonants as one color and vowels as another. If there is a spelling in the word that is tricky, like silent letters or blends, I make them a third color. I've played around with this a bit, and overall, this has made a HUGE difference with spelling. We have slowly moved to only dictation over the last few months. However, with HOD, the new words in a dictation passage are in bold. I take those words and make the flashcards. It only takes a few moments. I had my daughter make the cards a couple times, but it made no difference in her learning the words. This is a great way for kids to "see" the word and visualize it in their minds without writing.
Cathy

Is using CTC and is enjoying LHTH

http://homemissionfield.blogspot.com/

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:19 am

KTLM6 wrote:"Seeing" the word is very effective for many in spelling. I don't think it necessarily has to be written by the student. I picked up a technique off of a website that has been very effective. I put the word on a flashcard (usually just an index card). I use two or three colors of markers. I put consonants as one color and vowels as another. If there is a spelling in the word that is tricky, like silent letters or blends, I make them a third color. I've played around with this a bit, and overall, this has made a HUGE difference with spelling. We have slowly moved to only dictation over the last few months. However, with HOD, the new words in a dictation passage are in bold. I take those words and make the flashcards. It only takes a few moments. I had my daughter make the cards a couple times, but it made no difference in her learning the words. This is a great way for kids to "see" the word and visualize it in their minds without writing.
I really like this. I also make flash cards, but never thought to try them using different colors to emphise the consanents/vowels/tricky or silent letters. What a great idea! :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10