I'm laughing at myself....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Busymomma1

I'm laughing at myself....

Post by Busymomma1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:45 pm

...because I actually thought I wanted to do "my own thing" for history next year instead of Preparing. I went through the process of going to the Cinci HS convention, analyzing curriculum, deciding to do "my own thing", etc. Then, I jumped into planning... and quickly realized that, for one, it was taking a LOT of work to put the materials together. Two, I was wanting to use the books from the Preparing list anyway, even buying several of the books at the convention. And three, I then realized that after all that work (I had planned about 2-3 weeks worth), I still didn't have Poetry, narration/dictation, etc. I was also worrying about how to get all the language arts worked in, with narration, dictation, etc. So long story short, DUH! Use Preparing! :lol: I mean, I was trying to "re-invent" it! ha!

Also, I was really wanting to work in a "missionary/countries/cultures" focus , along with an overview of World History. I've come to realize I can still do that AND follow Preparing. I'm thinking of just doing those other things over the summer in a fun way, and then do Preparing for the school year. My kids REALLY want to do a science program focusing on marine biology, so we'll just switch that out. But otherwise, I'm going to follow the guide.

Anyway, this would be my 2nd time in drifting away from HOD and then coming back! :oops: I think once I started to try to put it together myself, I realized just how beautifully Carrie puts it all together. She must've made it look easy, if I thought I was going to be able to do it!

We only have 4 weeks of Bigger left, and my kids are REALLY enjoying the stories about the Wright Brothers. I am, too! :-) Also, I'd be interested to hear how others are enjoying Preparing, because now I'm very excited about it!

So... I thought I was going off on my own, but am glad to say I'm not! I prayed for wisdom, and I'm glad the Lord guided me this direction. (BTW, I haven't posted in ages, so I may seem like a newbie to the board, but I'm not... just away for a while! )
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

pjdobro

Re: I'm laughing at myself....

Post by pjdobro » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:34 pm

I'll laugh along with you. :lol: Carrie does make it look easy and one can be so tempted to stray at times. I know I've looked at some of those other booths at convention. :oops: I'm always drawn back to HOD. Everything is there that is needed. If you find there is an additional thing you want to add, you can because your bases are already covered in a reasonable amount of time with the program. It's a win-win situation. I'm glad that you found out so quickly that you are better off using Preparing. Just think if you had gone through all that planning and started the year before you had found out. :shock: We're really looking forward to Preparing here. I have most of my materials and it all looks so wonderful! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:35 pm

About missions-Preparing covers some stories of missionaries and other heroes of the faith in Hero Tales...and the importance of God's plan of salvation through history (an of sharing that good news) is beautifully covered in Grandpa's Box. The Young Christian's Introduction to the Bible is a great little resource too... :D You are in for a great year :mrgreen:
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

KTLM6

Post by KTLM6 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:51 pm

LOL. :D I'll laugh with ya too, cause I've tried the same thing! Carrie does make it all look easy. Putting it together myself was never half as good or complete. I looked at so much other curriculum, and none of them had all that HOD contains!!
Cathy

Is using CTC and is enjoying LHTH

http://homemissionfield.blogspot.com/

Bramble

Post by Bramble » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:07 pm

I can so relate! Every winter I start to get the grass is greener syndrome and start looking elsewhere and planning other things. This year (my first with HOD!) it didn't take me nearly as long to snap back to reality. HOD is just so easy on me!!!

KimS

Post by KimS » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:51 am

I have two in high school and one that has graduated already. I spent too many years trying to pull it together and it never worked just right.
I LOVE HOD and pray I can always use it.

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:35 pm

KimS wrote:I have two in high school and one that has graduated already. I spent too many years trying to pull it together and it never worked just right.
I LOVE HOD and pray I can always use it.
This is me except I only have one older, he graduates this year. I think of all the hours I spent planning, trying to find books, etc. So thankful to have HOD for our youngest!
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi Tricia :D - I remember helping you at the book fair - such a smiley, vivacious lady with a heart full of love. I honestly felt sad when you walked away with just a few books and a plan to do your own thing. :( I was so glad to read here you are going to do PHFHG this year after all! :D How wonderful you will get to enjoy PHFHG and all of its well-laid out plans that Carrie worked so hard to put together. :D I too could plan my year, but it wouldn't be nearly as effective as the incremental year to year planning of HOD. Literally about 1000 hours are spent writing each HOD guide - the research and time Carrie puts into each guide is truly phenomenal. I believe the Lord has given her a talent and a dedication to this for that purpose because what she is able to accomplish really seems nearly impossible - it really is just the Lord at work using her in this way I believe. Most of us just don't/won't take that amount of time to put together 1 year of learning for our dc, and why would we when it's already been done for us through HOD? The truth is, I want time to teach my dc, really teach them well, and time to minister to both their hearts and minds. HOD gives us that gift. I'm so glad you are partaking of it, and that you can enjoy your year with your dc to its fullest now! I've laughed at myself too - many, many times - that sure is a good thing to be able to do. What a good cheerful attitude you have, and now I hope you have a terrific year with PHFHG! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:51 pm

my3sons wrote:The truth is, I want time to teach my dc, really teach them well, and time to minister to both their hearts and minds. HOD gives us that gift.
Before I came to HOD, I used unit studies exclusively and would pick what to learn when, print lapbooks, cut out lapbooks, put 100's of books on hold at the library, scan through them, decide exactly what part of the unit I was going to teach when and the list seemed to go on and on. After doing all of the above, I didn't have much energy left to teach my dc. My dh said it had to be easier and thankfully we found HOD. We've never been happier and haven't felt that grass is greener since starting HOD. Thank the Lord. Now I have the energy to teach my dc and do it well. Oh, and now too I don't have to miss out on things that family is doing because I had to plan or cut things out. Even better. :D

So glad to hear that you're staying with HOD and I'm excited for you.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks, everyone! Glad I'm not alone! :-)

Julie, you are so sweet! I'm surprised you remember me and knew who I was! ha! :oops: Yeah, it didn't take me long to come to my senses! It WAS hard for me to say that to you, because I do feel a sense of "loyalty" to you ladies at HOD. But at the time, I really was thinking I was going to focus on the missionaries/geography/cultures "thing" and try to give a general overview in the history area. I was also wanting some "freedom" that I thought I would get by making my own schedule/plan. Then I realized that I would be spending so much time planning that I would lose many an evening!

And Bramble, I think there may have been some "grass is greener" thinking going on. I know what you mean!

So, I'm happy and relieved to be "back on board" with HOD. Glad it was a short detour... actually, one that never really happened! I mean, we are finishing up Bigger as we speak, and we'll just go right into Preparing next fall. I do like my summer breaks! :-)

I haven't been on the board in a while... just busy... and on FaceBook! ha! But really, it's heartwarming for you all to respond and it helps me to feel part of a wonderful HOD community.
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:50 pm

Tricia,

I'm so glad that you will get a chance to use Preparing Hearts! :D We pray you will enjoy it as much as we did with our own son! :D I know I am always relieved to have the HOD guides for my younger kiddos to use. I'll often remark to my husband that my oldest son, who is our poor "test child", doesn't get half as rich of an education as my kiddos who use the completed HOD guides.

At this point in my life (on year 23 of my teaching career), I can honestly say were it not for the HOD guides being done for our younger kiddos, I would truly be unable to write plans for multiple kids each year and still keep on homeschooling. :D I'd end up planning all year and doing more planning than schooling! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie