DITHOR question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
grandsophy

DITHOR question

Post by grandsophy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:26 pm

I hope I'm putting this in the right place. I've never seen a forum with a "main board" so I'm a little confused! :D

DITHOR has several options for scheduling books: one book, two books, three books.
If I want my child to read two books in a particular genre, I see that I spread it out over the time period.

My question is, does she just fill out the workbook pages for whichever book she happens to be reading on that day?
Or does she do all the workbook pages for one particular book and use the other as another example of that genre?
3 Daughters
4th grader: Teaching Textbooks, Portraits of American Girlhood, Queen Language & CLE Science
Kindergarten & 1st Grader: Little Hearts for His Glory, CLE Math, CLE Language

my3sons

Re: DITHOR question

Post by my3sons » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:01 pm

grandsophy wrote:...My question is, does she just fill out the workbook pages for whichever book she happens to be reading on that day?...
Yes, that's right! :D Just fill out the reading calendar in her student book (which for 2 books suggests a pacing of 10 days on one book, and 5 days on the other book). Then, follow the plans in order. Whichever day of plans the workbook falls on, just do it with whatever book she is reading. We have enjoyed DITHOR so much here - it is a favorite time of the day. Oh, and all posts start on the Main Board. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

kiloyd

Post by kiloyd » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:08 pm

We just started DITHOR here Thanks for the helpful question.

:)
Katherine
ds 9, Preparing
dd just turned 6, LHFHG
dd 3
and 15 mo old 3 days a week

grandsophy

Post by grandsophy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:23 am

my3sons wrote:
grandsophy wrote:...My question is, does she just fill out the workbook pages for whichever book she happens to be reading on that day?...
Yes, that's right! :D Just fill out the reading calendar in her student book (which for 2 books suggests a pacing of 10 days on one book, and 5 days on the other book). Then, follow the plans in order. Whichever day of plans the workbook falls on, just do it with whatever book she is reading. We have enjoyed DITHOR so much here - it is a favorite time of the day. Oh, and all posts start on the Main Board. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Thanks. I don't know if I can slow dd down to that pace, but I'll try. :D

This Main Board thing is unique, isn't it? Perhaps if I learned the acronymns it wouldn't seem so cumbersome.
3 Daughters
4th grader: Teaching Textbooks, Portraits of American Girlhood, Queen Language & CLE Science

grandsophy

Post by grandsophy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:27 am

That sounded really critical on my part. I apologize. My only complaint about HOD is how difficult the names of the books are to remember (because in the younger grades they don't describe the grade level or the subject matter), and when they're abbreviated it makes it even more difficult to figure out which post is referring to what. Searching through the main board trying to remember which letters refer to the book we're studying seems complicated.

But my kids love the books and I love the convenience of having everything scheduled. :D :lol: :D :)
3 Daughters

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:17 pm

Oh no worries there! Just ask what the acronyms stand for - everyone has been in that boat before. I remember wondering for the longest time what "dc" stood for - I was so relieved when I figured out it stood for "dear children". As far as the names of the guides, we picked them out together (Mike, Carrie, and I - we just had to have "hearts" and "glory" in the title - Glory be to the Lord - I know they're long, but we do love them. :D Anyway, here are a few to get you going:
LHTH: Little Hands to Heaven
LHFHG: Little Hearts for His Glory
BLHFHG: Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory
BHFHG: Bigger Hearts for His Glory
PHFHG: Preparing Hearts for His Glory
CTC: Creation to Christ
RTR: Resurrection to Reformation
DITHOR or DITHR: Drawn into the Heart of Reading
ERS: Emerging Reader's Set
R & S English: Rod and Staff English
ds: dear son
dd: dear daughter
dc: dear children
dh: dear husband

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

grandsophy

Post by grandsophy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:01 pm

my3sons wrote:Oh no worries there! Just ask what the acronyms stand for - everyone has been in that boat before. I remember wondering for the longest time what "dc" stood for - I was so relieved when I figured out it stood for "dear children". As far as the names of the guides, we picked them out together (Mike, Carrie, and I - we just had to have "hearts" and "glory" in the title - Glory be to the Lord - I know they're long, but we do love them. :D Anyway, here are a few to get you going:
LHTH: Little Hands to Heaven
LHFHG: Little Hearts for His Glory
BLHFHG: Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory
BHFHG: Bigger Hearts for His Glory
PHFHG: Preparing Hearts for His Glory
CTC: Creation to Christ
RTR: Resurrection to Reformation
DITHOR or DITHR: Drawn into the Heart of Reading
ERS: Emerging Reader's Set
R & S English: Rod and Staff English
ds: dear son
dd: dear daughter
dc: dear children
dh: dear husband

In Christ,
Julie
I used Beyond for a whole year without ever learning its name. :) I appreciate the goal that is reflected in the names, I just find them too similar to remember specific titles. I recommend the curriculum all the time, just referring people to the website.
I know dd and ds and that sort of thing because I've been active on various forums for years. I just haven't seen a main board before. :)
I often ask my HOD questions at thehomeschoollibrary.com but I'm trying to come directly to the source once in awhile. :)
3 Daughters

grandsophy

Post by grandsophy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:36 pm

Please understand, I am not trying to be picky or negative. I love this curriculum and I think we'll be using it for years. If my only difficulties are the titles and the unusual format of the forum.....I can definitely live with that. :D
3 Daughters

grandsophy

Post by grandsophy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:03 pm

I am looking forward to using DITHOR. I had been looking for a Christian character program and this looks like it will cover that very very well. :D
3 Daughters

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:42 pm

Sounds good! :D We pray you will enjoy DITHR as well! :D It has resulted in some wonderful discussions at our house and the pacing helps a child live with a book more CM-style over time. It was tough to get my kiddos to slow down when reading too but that is truly when the wonderful insights and reflections have a chance to flow. We hope you will find the same to be true with your family! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

grandsophy

Post by grandsophy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:51 am

I am definitely going to buy the book package for next year's DITHOR. We like the curriculum, we just keep forgetting to get the books from the library.
3 Daughters