DITHOR: Why 5 and 10 instead of 7 and 8?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
rgrindle

DITHOR: Why 5 and 10 instead of 7 and 8?

Post by rgrindle » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:21 pm

This may be a stupid question, but here goes! :oops: I'm looking at my books for DITHOR 2, and some (most) are not long enough to cover the full 15 days. If I have two books that are both 80 pages, do I really need to divide them into 5 and 10 days, or can I be more equitable and go 7 and 8 days? Why the multiples of five?
DS(13.5) - Rev2Rev, R&S Grammar 6, Principles of Math 1
DS(12) - Res2Ref, R&S Grammar 5, Singapore Math 6

beverett

Re: DITHOR: Why 5 and 10 instead of 7 and 8?

Post by beverett » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:05 pm

I am doing 7 and 8 days myself and it seems to be working just fine. I think I am doing it that way because in my HOD catalog under DITHOR pkgs it says next to some of the book titles in perenthesis the number of days (some say 7 and 8) to do each (if there are two books listed for a genre). Hope this makes since, I am sure someone much more experienced will come along though! :D
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

3ringcircus

Post by 3ringcircus » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:56 pm

I think it's because days 6 and 11 include prereading activities for starting a new book, but can be used with a current book. It usually involves studying the cover, illustrations, synopsis, or table of contents and answering questions. These are 'all levels together' days. You could just move the order and do day 6 on day 8 instead. The program is very flexible.
KL - Rev2Rev, DITHOR
E - PHFHG, DITHOR
MG - BHFHG
L - making messes and smiles

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:25 pm

3ringcircus wrote:I think it's because days 6 and 11 include prereading activities for starting a new book, but can be used with a current book...
This is correct! Due to the prereading activities, beginning books on days 6 and 11 works well. However, if a student is reading 1 book for 15 days, then the plans say just to do the prereading activity with the portion of the book yet to come. We have found this works just fine. 5 days would be the minimum amount of time to spend on a book, as character and plot development, etc. really cannot be studied well in less time. Adhering to CM's style of "savoring" a book - the slowing down pace of DITHOR is intentional, and it helps dc better develop reading comprehension skills. It also helps them better remember what they've read - when I ask my dc what their all-time favorite books are - they always say books they've read within DITHOR. This is quite telling, as they've read a kazillion other books at breakneck pace on their own time. :wink: This "savoring business" works! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie