CARRIE IS DOING HIGH SCHOOL!!!!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
patekake

Re: CARRIE IS DOING HIGH SCHOOL!!!!

Post by patekake » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:39 pm

I am so excited! It was hard to get through school today, because I kept wanting to go back to read every little detail about the new guide and high school plans. It just doesn't get any better than this! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Patti
Wife of 27 years to Gene
25 year old dd (hs, ps, cs), working on Master's
23 year old dd (hs, ps, cs), Dental Assistant
13 year old dd, homeschooled, CTC (2009) and beginning RTR Aug, 2010

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:56 pm

i can see how the high school is 4years. but i started my kids in LHFHG for Kindergarten and when doing a guide a year it comes out that the last guide would be for "11th grade". Now i know lots of homeschoolers have finished a year early or so from school, but are we missing something b/c we won't have "13 yrs or guides". Hard to wrap my brain around when i went to public school and went for grades K- 12.

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:04 pm

Wow! That is awesome news! I am so happy about this. Thank you, Carrie, for your diligence and hard work in doing this. You are an amazing woman.

I do have a question though: what does it mean for something to be "credit worthy" for high school? Do all the colleges require a transcript of high school classes? How do we do these credits?

Thanks for any info on this.
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

KristinBeth

Post by KristinBeth » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:07 pm

Good news! But I'm confused (what else is new? :roll:
It looks like it only goes to 11th grade. What am I not getting here?

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:09 pm

Jenn (and others :D ),

One option would be to take one of the guides at half pace. We've decided to take Bigger Hearts at half pace and add in the extension package as well. I know this won't work for some people, but it's an option anyway! My thoughts on this were so that we'd space out the guides appropriately so my kids weren't getting to Preparing and CTC too soon. So my kiddos will do Bigger Hearts for second and third grades (with ext. pack, of course :D ), and then move on to Preparing for fourth grade. There are a lot of great skills that take shape within Bigger Hearts, so I thought that would be a great year to do at half-speed and really spend some good time developing those skills. Then they'll be really ready for the level of independence in Preparing and later guides. Again, this is just an option. You will know what is best to do, as you are the best teacher for them! :wink:

Blessings! :D

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:21 pm

KristinBeth wrote:Good news! But I'm confused (what else is new? :roll:
It looks like it only goes to 11th grade. What am I not getting here?
There are four guides in the high school slot, meaning they are worthy of high school credit as written. The guides go by skill level and age. I have two that will hit the end of HOD at different levels. One will hit the cycle perfect to finish her last year, and one will hit it a year early but that will get her credits done. I will more than likely add an extra year allowing her to work on college or explore other interests. But as far as her requirements and education HOD takes care of that for us. A year to explore interests and learn the Word at a deeper level is a blessing for us. Wish all my kids could have hit the guides that way. :D
Last edited by water2wine on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

psreit

Post by psreit » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:34 pm

WOW!! Starting in LHFHG for 1st grade, we have the potential to use them all! Looking forward to all those years with HOD as the Lord wills. :D :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:24 pm

We have the opposite problem...we actually have to skip the geog guide (hopefully we can and this won't cause the issues it could have caused in the earlier guides as far as needing the skills to go on!) for my older son so that he can get in what he needs in the high school guides.

My younger son started Little Hearts in 1st grade, so we are set - he will finish the last guide as a Senior in highschool. :mrgreen:
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:37 pm

AHHHHHHH!!!! :D :shock: :D Shouts of joy here at my computer - literally!! My kids are all wondering what's so exciting. :lol: Going to check out that announcement now!

Praise the Lord for this HUGE answer to prayer! Carrie - you & your family are still being continually uplifted on this journey of faith. Thank you for being willing to be used by the Lord to bless our family daily!

:D Kathleen :D
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

tjswaine

Post by tjswaine » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:55 pm

A huge thank you to the Austins! Prayers for your beautiful family!
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}

acts29stl

Post by acts29stl » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:34 pm

YEAH!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Psalm 27:4 "One thing I desire of the Lord, that will I seek; that I may behold the beauty of the Lord and meditate in His temple."
ds(13)& dd(12) MTMM, DITHOR
ds(10) CTC, DITHOR
ds(9) PHFHG, DITHOR
ds(7) LHFHG
dd(5) LHTH
dd(4) LHTH
dd(2)
dd(10-3-15)

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:06 pm

That is SO awesome!! I don't know if any of the high school guides will be ready for us in time, but I still plan to use HOD all the way through, even if we need to use the current guides ("beefed up"). I'm SO excited for everyone who gets to use the high school guides! I'm sure they will be wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:22 pm

YAY!!! I know God will continue to use you and your gifts for His Purposes greatly, Carrie!!! :D
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:29 pm

So exciting!!!! My oldest will get to use LHFHG all the way through, and my youngest 3 will all get to use LHTH all the way through!!
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Ladies,

We are rejoicing with you on this very big decision for our family and our company. :D We pray that we will be in the Lord's will and that we will follow His leading in this endeavor. We are glad to be able to share this decision with you, as it has been awhile in coming! :D We pray it will encourage all of us to stay the course and travel the path through high school together. :D We love the support and community of this board, but even more are awed by the Christian spirit of encouragement. We pray we will be able to encourage one another for many years to come! :D

Blessings,
Carrie