spelling list in Beyond

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jacynamommy

spelling list in Beyond

Post by jacynamommy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:43 am

We just finished our second week of Beyond. My son is 7 and would be in 1st grade if in public school. We're using "list 1" of the spelling lists. I'm assuming (or think I read somewhere on here) that "list 2" is used in Bigger for 2nd grade spelling...is that correct? He is flying through the spelling each day (which is awesome), but he's not missed a single word on any day yet. Does that mean these words are too easy for him or should I just be glad that he's a smart little guy and mastering the level 1 words?! I have a fear of not challenging him enough, but I also don't want him to be over-challenged and frustrated. Advice? Thanks!
Meredith

Trusting in Him to supply all my needs! Phil. 4:19
Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond

raceNzanesmom

Re: spelling list in Beyond

Post by raceNzanesmom » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:27 pm

We're also using list 1 for 1st grade. They are easy for him, but I feel like he's learning the skill of spelling. For me, that's most important right now.

That said, we're using LHFHG this year with list 1 from Beyond. We'll be using Beyond in the fall with list 2. What are your plans for fall? If you'll be moving out of Beyond then it may be fine to move to list 2 now. Hopefully, someone with more experience can answer better.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:56 pm

When my ds began Beyond in the fall, we started with List 1 of the spelling words. It was too easy for him, too. We moved to List 2 and it was a much better fit for him. When we use Bigger this coming fall, my ds will do the dictation instead of the spelling words. (The spelling words in Bigger are the same words as List 2 in Beyond.) I just re-read that portion of the Bigger guide and it is intended for you to use either the spelling words or the dictation, but not both when your dc are using Bigger. :)
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

BrooklynsMom03

Post by BrooklynsMom03 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:11 pm

We are using List 2 in Beyond and my daughter is in 2nd grade...List 1 are too easy for her...I didnt know List 2 was for Bigger! Not sure what I will do when I get there! Beth in Idaho
Married 25 yrs on June 14
Two sons Chad and Jared both have graduated from college
Blessed with daughter
Now...8 ....starting BHFHG Oct 1...
2nd year of home schooling...

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:22 pm

My son is 7 also and would be in 1st grade. He is a very good reader and speller. I didn't want to jump ahead and have the words be too hard too soon and i don't know that he would be ready for dictation next year if i were to use list 2 this year. I figure it is good to practice the spelling and coming up with sentences, etc. We are skipping the "review"spelling though. We are currently on Unit 18 and it is review week. It is boring for he and I when he does know how to spell all the words.
I think i read in a post somewhere once that it was good for them to go through the list even if easy. The words to get harder as you go. My son also does a Phonics Builder 2 book and Thinking Skills 2 book so he is getting challenged in those areas.

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:33 am

BrooklynsMom03 wrote:We are using List 2 in Beyond and my daughter is in 2nd grade...List 1 are too easy for her...I didnt know List 2 was for Bigger! Not sure what I will do when I get there! Beth in Idaho
List 2 is for either Beyond or Bigger. Some ladies skip List 1 and do List 2 in Beyond. Then, in BHFHG, they do Level 2 dictation, which is also an option scheduled in BIgger. HOD offers several options for spelling every year, and you just choose the one that fits your kids best. My oldest ds did List 1 and then List 2 the next year. My middle ds never did List 1, and just did List 2 and then Level 2 dictation. You can adjust it for each child - that's the beauty of the flexibility HOD offers! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:36 am

jacynamommy wrote:We just finished our second week of Beyond. My son is 7 and would be in 1st grade if in public school. We're using "list 1" of the spelling lists. I'm assuming (or think I read somewhere on here) that "list 2" is used in Bigger for 2nd grade spelling...is that correct? He is flying through the spelling each day (which is awesome), but he's not missed a single word on any day yet. Does that mean these words are too easy for him or should I just be glad that he's a smart little guy and mastering the level 1 words?! I have a fear of not challenging him enough, but I also don't want him to be over-challenged and frustrated. Advice? Thanks!
The lists do begin with easier words. However, if your ds is able to do all of the rest of the LA box things scheduled along with his words well and is a good speller naturally, you can certainly try List 2 and do Level 2 dictation next year with BHFHG. Just keep in mind he'll need to be writing several sentences a day to do Level 2 dictation, and it's not copywork. It's him studying it, you taking it away and reading it phrase by phrase to him as he writes it from memory. If there's no way he's headed toward being ready for that, I'd stick with list 1 and then do list 2 in BHFHG. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie