R&S Phonics and reading program

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
susie in ms

R&S Phonics and reading program

Post by susie in ms » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:04 am

I am sorry for one more phonics question. :oops:

Does anyone here use R&S for phonics and reading. I hate to admit it, but I am just horrible when it comes to liking phonics programs. :oops: I have heard the arguments about sight words, but the way I see it they exist and will have to be covered at some point anyway. Would this program be too much if I used it in place of Reading Lessons or RME?

And just incase you are wondering....no I am not about to begin a program like this anytime soon. Hehe :lol:
Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.
Loving Little Hands to Heaven!

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:15 pm

Hi Susie [wave],
I can't answer your question.. so I'm bumping you to the top of the board.
I must admit I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, can you clarify? Sorry I'm a bit dense these days sleeping in a tent outside does that to me :P
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:32 pm

Thanks Tansy! (waving back at cha! :D )
R&S phonics and reading program has been dubbed by some as toooooo rigorous. And the same folks don't like the introduction of site words so soon in the program. Personally, I don't see that it really matters when site words are introduced, but I could be missing something. I was basically looking for opinions of whether or not folks that have used R&S for phonics and reading (or attempted it) feel it may be overwhelming. I have been looking at near every phonics program known to man! I am just so terribly picky. I did find a couple that I like the looks of, but I hate to draw any conclusions without having the book in my hand. My lo is still too young for a phonics program, I am just doing my homework now as I get into a panic if I wait till the last minute to do things.
Thanks for the bump!!
Susie ~
Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.

kerby

Post by kerby » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:24 pm

Hi, Susie~

I have R+S because I wasn't sure I was going to use it or not. I might still but we will see. I was very nervous about teaching dd to read this yr. I have NO problems going through Calculus or Chemistry/Physics in HS but this foundational step was throwing me into all kinds of loops! :oops:

I had purchased several programs to have on hand. One just seemed to be too much for us at this time, one was good and solid but too monotonous, and one has gone well for the phonics work but dd was just still not quite grasping the blending. I purchased TRL and she is reading!!!

One thing I have found w/ TRL is that they combine the phonics reading w/ sight words. For example, dd started lesson 3 today and it introduces 'th'. She did not have any problem w/ this at all. She simply saw it as another 'letter'.

I am finally at peace w/ this important part of teaching. Knowing that I have a tool that I can see will work and that I know I can implement has been such a relief.

Now, even w/ this, I will probably continue to use the other program for the phonics work because dd is enjoying the work and it will solidify what she is "seeing" by the "doing".

K

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:47 am

Thanks Kerby!

You sound like me!

What is funny is that my older kiddos learned how to read with an inexpensive program that is much like HOP VERY quickly. Well, that program is not available anymore and HOP requires the payment of my right arm. But then Hannah Grace is so unlike her siblings. I had calm cool collective children. Really I did. Folks would come over to my house and ask me if I was sure I had kids!!! :lol: Hannah Grace is soooo all over the place!! So much so that there are places I will NOT go....church being one. :( I don't do nurseries and no one would have peace in church with her jumping, talking, etc. She is my wild child and I don't know how to calm her down. We are working on some physical issues that I feel play a part, but it takes time. Anyway..........she learns differently too. So my search for what will work with her is underway.

Thank you for your testimony of TRL!! It helps when I can here what works for some and why. I actually own all of the teachers books and readers of R&S reading and phonics, but I am unsure of just how time consuming it will be. Or if it will grow old too quickly, etc. This program would be expensive if one was to buy all of the wbs, flash cards, etc. So I keep rethinking.

Thanks again!

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:26 am

Hi Susie!
It does sound like something short, sweet and to the point (much like Hannah :wink: ) would be best for you and the Reading Lesson fits that description.

Help me remember....is Hannah your 3yo or your older dd?? If she's your youngest, you'll cover some phonics in Little Hands is a way that sounds like just her style (good wiggly activities). If she is older (5 or 6) and you're doing LIttle Hearts, then I would do the Reading Lesson. (Sorry about my memory and I couldn't see you siggy line while typing this!)

I think R&S is a good program for kiddos who like to sit and do workbooks for a lengthy period of time. I have some of the readers by themselves, and they are very easy to add into any program. I love their little Jewel books and the God is Good series!

I was supposed to get to go to MS next week....all my kiddos are sick and I had some unexpected discoveries at the dr last week requiring some tests (thyroid issues) so needless to say....my trip was postponed. :(
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:37 am

OK...now I can see your siggy. She's 2.....almost 3. Girl, you win the prize for stressing out way ahead of time!!!! :D :D :D :D

You know, I never used the nursery at church either....unless it was for punishment for not being still on the pew. It's been awhile but my kids loved those little magna-doodles, small books, a small container of cereal, a small stuffed animal, those timy magnet boards with scenes that you add the magnets to (I have no idea what these were called, but they were quiet). I'll try to think of some other ideas for you. It's so important to teach our little ones to love worship, and I know you miss it to if you're not going. (I know this is off topic, but when mine were little, I would rack my brain for ideas on how to keep them occupied and quiet! I feel your pain!)
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:14 am

Hi Melanie,

You are right I do win the prize for stressing out early!! :lol: I have always been that way. I have tried to change it but to no avail.
I went back and looked at TRL and tried to figure out what it was about it that I didn't like. This is what I discovered. That first page that is all cluttered with teachers notes was a huge turn off for me. It was late and I don't think I gave the sample enough of a chance. The other thing that bugged me was that it doesn't have a student book. But I can live with that as I would use readers anyway. After looking over it again it does look like a great fit. I don't think I would have to make my own flash cards like with RME unless I missed that part. I love the uncluttered pages and the easy to use method.

I have thyroid issues (have all of my life) and it can be a pill for sure. At times it gets really bad for me. That is another thing that makes me want very easy lessons. Your thyroid can (and does for me) affect how clear you think. When mine was at its peak of being soo high everytime I went to the bank I would hear the dreaded words...."Um ma'am I don't think your figures are right." Sigh. I started having my oldest dd check my math everytime before I went to the bank. It was sooo humiliating. :(

I have tried the activity cloth books, baby dolls, etc and it all worked for about 3 minutes. I need to try again soon as she is getting older. I have that cool Bible activity book you can buy from CBD (different than the others she has) that I was gonna give her for her 3rd b-day. Maybe that will work. It has lots of activities.

Thanks for your post! You ladies are the best!

shera

Post by shera » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:19 am

Susie this is a bit ot but I thought it might help calm Hannah down a bit. My dear friend had a child like that. Literally the only time she would be still was when she was getting sick or was sick. I suggested she try taking her off of sugar completely. Well one day when they were on vacation, she went the whole day with no sugar and they thought she was getting sick. Then she had a bite of birthday cake and became the wild child that they all know and love. Since then she has been off of all sugar and is now in the second grade in the gifted program. Not sure if this helps at all but it doesn't hurt to try.

Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:52 am

I do believe sugar is part of the problem. I also believe candida is a huge part and also play a role in her extream severe constipation. We are working with it. It is near impossible to get her off of sugar with all of the other mouthes in this house that can't hide what they are eating. One night my ds had some cocoa cripsies (we use as a snack NOT nutrition) and gave her a few bites. This girl went crazy! It was impossible to get to sleep for a good while. I do believe that chocolate plays a part too. Thanks much for your post!!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:15 am

Well this is one I almost did not want to answer because you all will think I am a slave driver. I have used both and I use both together. They are different. For my kids that are young and learning to read I only use The reading lesson for the most part except for my six year old who likes to do both. She is a workbook queen. And for my dd that has special needs she is mostly doing the emerging readers and now finishing up R&S phonics and reading. She needs the drill and written practice to make it stay in her head.

So having confessed all that. :lol: I will just say I guess that they really are different. The reading lesson is about leaning the application by site to me and the other is sort of learning it by written more. I think the R&S helps with spelling a bit. For initial reading and moving fast though The Reading Lesson is it. I think it is the best place to start. 8)
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:56 am

A confessed slave driver! :wink: Actually I have been known to do stuff like that ,over the years, myself!! It will certainly give me something to consider when approaching the different stages. Thanks for sharing how you do your phonics!!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:04 am

susie in ms wrote:A confessed slave driver! :wink:
YES! It's true! Thanks that feels better. :lol:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:11 am

Hey Susie...just from reading your post, I'm pretty sure you have The Reading Lesson and Reading Made Easy confused by name. Reading Made Easy does have kinda a "cluttered" page feeling and you do have to make flashcards. The Reading Lesson in the very open, uncluttered book where they just read a small bit each day....no flashcards.

HTH clear it up a bit!

Hey...I do a combo of Phonics Pathways and LLATL, only they're both so simple it's not really that much. So you are not alone in doing 2 programs!! :lol:
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:37 am

That is what I meant, but I didn't word myself right. As you get to know me you will find that I am terrible at explaining myself well. It was only the first page of TRL that looked cluttered. The rest looked wonderfully simple and lots of white. I love that!! I can sit and read almost any book as long as the print is not tiny or blured, and be just fine. But if you give me a program where I have to teach it and there is lots of reading I have a tendency to forget where I am going before I have read it all. RL does look very good and easy to teach. When I mention flash cards I meant that it didn't appear that they use cards (or worse MAKE cards) like you do with RME. That would be a thorn for me. I really don't mind using cards, but making them.... and all that gray. I am weird!! :lol: And just think I have hsed 3 full grown kids!!! Hahaha :lol: