Any tips for "beefing up" Beyond?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Heart_Mom

Any tips for "beefing up" Beyond?

Post by Heart_Mom » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:33 pm

Hello, Ladies! :D

This is my first year with HOD and we're doing Beyond this year with my older two, since they both placed squarely in that program based on the placement charts. (My son has some vision issues that are nearly resolved, but he is a little behind in LA and Math.) We are in Unit 17, and loving it! My only concern is that my son is wanting more in the areas of History and Science. I think this problem will be easily taken care of once we start Bigger this fall, but I'm looking for some ways to give my son some more "meat" now (without using any of the resources that are used in Bigger, since I'm planning on using it next! :wink: ).

Do you have any ideas for me? Maybe it would be fine for me to just give him other reading to do that is unrelated to what we are doing in Beyond?

My son is a good independent reader and can read books like "21 Balloons" and "The Story of Thomas Alva Edison" (My great-grandfather actually worked for him, by the way, so that was fun for my son to read :D - he read that book before I knew it was a part of Bigger - oh, well... he can read it again next year. :roll: )

I considered moving him to Bigger now, but I'm honestly not sure that I'm ready to add in another program at this point. (But I'd be happy to hear your opinions on that too!)

Feel free to ask me any info about my son that would be helpful! :D

Thanks in advance!!!!
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

twoxcell

Re: Any tips for "beefing up" Beyond?

Post by twoxcell » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:33 pm

Is your son using DITHOR? That would be a good way to add extra reading. Other than that I would just get books from the library to go along with what ever topic you are studying. The If You lived series is good and he could read them on his own. For science my DH does Apologia Elementary science with my ds in the evenings. My son loves science.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:29 pm

If it were my ds, and you were already doing everything in Beyond and also adding in DITHOR, I would probably add in CLP's nature readers. The levels that aren't scheduled in the ERS. Then I'd probably go with The Childhood of Famous Americans Series for history. Just a thought.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:33 pm

I have just started to add in CL reader 2 with my son. We are on unit 16 in Beyond this week. i figured he could read 7 pages a week and be done with it by the time we finish the Beyond guide.
We also do DITHOR at our pace.

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:36 pm

What about doing a timeline for more history stuff? I forget, but I don't think there was a time line in Beyond. You could just mark the dates you discuss during the week.
7 awesome kids!

3 graduated
4 at home this fall
DD6 Beyond
DS10 Preparing
DS13 MTMM
DS16 online high school

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:05 pm

Ladies,

Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement! :D I really appreciate all of your ideas for my son.

I will start DITHOR with him soon!
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:54 pm

Will you be using the extensions with him when you get to Bigger? If not, you might look at those since the history time period of Beyond and Bigger are similar. You might be able to find some good books there that might correlate as long as the reading level wouldn't be too much for him. We've read several of those books this year and have really enjoyed them. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:15 pm

pjdobro wrote:Will you be using the extensions with him when you get to Bigger? If not, you might look at those since the history time period of Beyond and Bigger are similar. You might be able to find some good books there that might correlate as long as the reading level wouldn't be too much for him. We've read several of those books this year and have really enjoyed them. :D
Thanks, Patty, for the idea! :D

I am actually hoping to use the extensions, so that might not work for us. I think to some extent I just have to be willing to have things be a little light until August when we start Bigger.
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:04 pm

Heart_Mom,

I'm so glad that you and I got a chance to correspond by email. I'll just share on the board here too that adding DITHR Level 2/3 and Rod and Staff English 2 daily were my recc's for your son, as both will address needed language arts areas for his age. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Carrie wrote:Heart_Mom,

I'm so glad that you and I got a chance to correspond by email. I'll just share on the board here too that adding DITHR Level 2/3 and Rod and Staff English 2 daily were my recc's for your son, as both will address needed language arts areas for his age. :D

Blessings,
Carrie
Thanks again, Carrie! :D

I went ahead and ordered those resources early this morning, and they've already shipped out! I really appreciate HOD's fast shipping! :D
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9