Preparing: Deluxe package, Extension package, or neither?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
threeboysmama

Preparing: Deluxe package, Extension package, or neither?

Post by threeboysmama » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:03 pm

I always enjoy this time of year, as it marks the beginning of my preparation for next year! :lol: I'm looking over the packages for Preparing Hearts that I'm going to be using with my ds for his 4th grade year. I'm hoping that "talking out" my internal debate here will both clarify things in my mind and net me some words of wisdom from those of you who have already done Preparing! 8)

As I look at the deluxe package, several things strike me. He's read several of the books in that package in 1st and 2nd grade, and I'm thinking they would be too easy for him overall. A couple of the books would be very interesting to him, though - is it possible to just select a few of the books to give him to read at his own pace during the appropriate place in our lessons? Not necessarily as part of school, but rather just part of his free reading time. Would I be missing a lot if I didn't follow the plans and use all of the books?

His reading level is probably closer to the extension package books, but he's not working on a 5th or 6th grade level otherwise. Would that make the extension package too difficult overall?

Or, as a third alternative, would I be missing a lot of we did neither package? I have found that he reads and studies on his own time, topics of his own choosing, much more if I keep school simple. I think those are the things he's really going to retain anyway. This is actually the way I'm leaning right now. While my ds is a good student and school tends to come easily to him, he's not in love with it most days. But then, we've never used HOD before, and I guess I'm second-guessing myself ... if he loves school using HOD, am I going to wish I'd planned on using more of the plans?

pjdobro

Re: Preparing: Deluxe package, Extension package, or neither?

Post by pjdobro » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:22 pm

I'll be curious to hear what sort of ideas you get on this as well. We're in pretty much the same boat. Both of my dc are reading above the regular deluxe package and my dd is definitely reading at the extension level. It might be more of a stretch for my ds now, but come next year, he could probably do it. I know both of my dc will love the Draw and Write Through History which is part of the deluxe package. I have a lot of the books for both packages and they all look so good. I'm not for sure what we should do either. Looking forward to hearing what others say. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Both of those sets are optional. Pick what you like, if you like (from either package if you have a strong reader), skip the rest and keep it simple since he is 4th grade.
One sidenote, if you pick from both sets, there may be overlap when they are assigned.
Last edited by 8arrows on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:35 pm

My personal opinion is if you have no issue with cost, get the deluxe books. They are used in the independent history box of the Preparing Hearts plans. This goes a long way in training your child for the greater independence of the guides that follow. The history notebooking is also fun! It is so much more than just reading the books. Also, with the extensions, the appendix instructs you to have the child do a written narration twice a week, oral once a week, and a picture once a week with a paragraph, also more than just reading. That said, if you think your little guy would just love the books to read, you could just have the extension books around for extra reading on his free time, or maybe include some of them to use with Drawn into the Heart of Reading.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

doubleportion

Post by doubleportion » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:11 pm

My dd 9 (4th grade) is doing Preparing right now. I thought about getting the extensions but realized the note on them that says for 5th and 6th graders. My dd is reading on those reading levels but I know she is not a 5th grader yet. We bought the deluxe history package, science adder, economy and basic packages. The science adder and deluxe books allow your dc to do the independent history study and independent science explorations. Those are two of my dd's favorite things to do. I think in terms of academics they are right where she needs to be. So she is able to be successful and stretched but not so challenged that she gets frustrate KWIM. I have found that Preparing is thorough academically without being over burdening. If money is not an option, I think your ds would enjoy the extras. I think if I had added the extension package along with doing DITHOR it would have been too much for my dd. Just my experience.

Edie
dd 13 -Rev2Rev (enjoyed PHFHG, CTC, RTR)
ds 8 -Beyond
ds 6 LHFHG & ds 2 & ds 6 months
4 waiting for us with Jesus

arstephia

Post by arstephia » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:24 pm

Frankly, I would get both! We are doing Preparing and doing both the deluxe and the Extension books. DD just follows the extension reading schedule in addition to what she is doing with the Deluxe pkg. She is 10 and is loving all of the great reading. The extension books have just given us a little challenge since the other books are easy for her, and some she'd read before.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

threeboysmama

Post by threeboysmama » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:28 am

Well, cost is always a factor. :? Just one of the realities of life! :) But the extra insight is helpful. I already have the Draw Write Now book and the Usborne history text, so that would be enough to get us started with either package. I'm thinking maybe I'll just wait and see how it works and order later - if at all - once we actually start using it. Thank you, everyone!

doubleportion

Post by doubleportion » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:25 pm

If cost is a factor, you could get the manual, look through it, and then buy the books you need for the first quarter of the year. Then later when more funds are available buy the other books as needed. I considered doing that at first but things turned out so that I got about 90% of everything I needed after all. I plan on picking up the last few books I need at convention.

Edie
dd 13 -Rev2Rev (enjoyed PHFHG, CTC, RTR)
ds 8 -Beyond
ds 6 LHFHG & ds 2 & ds 6 months
4 waiting for us with Jesus

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:27 pm

threeboysmama,

One thing to consider as you're choosing the books for your child to read is what purpose that set of books is intended to fulfill. The Deluxe Package books were selected to be a bit on the easier side, because the focus of the Independent History Box in Preparing Hearts is to train your child to read and follow the directions in that particular box independently. :D It is truly meant to train a child in the independent skills of following written directions that will be so needed in CTC. The Extension Pack on the other hand is designed to extend the history content and to extend the follow-up written and oral work for an older student. So, kiddos who choose the Extension Pack option are reading the Extension Pack should also be doing the follow-up suggestions of written narrations/oral narrations/notebooking. :D

When my second son did Preparing Hearts, he was an outstanding reader who could have handled the Extension Pack books, but due to his age I still had him do the Deluxe Package in order to train him in the independent skills. This really worked well and paid big dividends the following year in CTC. :D It also kept him away from some of the more mature content in the Extension books. If finances allow, you could always do both, however if you need to choose just one set, as most of us do, I'd lean toward the Deluxe Package. :D

I wouldn't move toward mixing and matching, as at that point you'll lose the beauty of the open-and-go guide and leave your child dependent on you to show him/her which schedule to follow on any given day. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

threeboysmama

Post by threeboysmama » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:53 pm

Thank you Carrie (and everyone else!). Your insight has been helpful. I haven't made any decisions yet, but I understand the choices better now. Time to pray about it and talk it over with my hubby! :D

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:11 pm

Another great idea is to get just the deluxe, then for summer time get the extension for pleasure reading. :lol:

I got both, but I am not going to require the extension during the school year since my goal is to teach independence.
We just happen to have had the finances to purchase both. I love the idea of buying as you go along.

I have to say though...
On the topic of buying:
I spent HOURS trying to buy used and I also typed each one into amazon, cbd, etc...calculating costs until my head was spinning!! And, when it was all said and done - I just ordered from HOD! Not only was it much easier, but the savings was (no matter how I went about trying to buy, via amazon or private party) always around $100. I know a hundred dollars is a hundred dollars, BUT the hassle of buying used (wondering what kind of condition it was going to come in!), or buying from several different places (amazon didn't carry everything). I also took into consideration that I am in the middle of our school year and VERY anxious to get back to school again full time, so the shipping time was important to me too.

With all of that considered...plus the fact that you are supporting this wonderful family who has laid down their life to design a truly blessed curriculum...it was worth it!

Mercy
(who just ordered & is SOOOO anxious to receive our curriculum in the mail!!!)
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG