if you lived in...series for DITHOR

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jenntracy

if you lived in...series for DITHOR

Post by jenntracy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:11 am

I am going to use If you Lived In Colonial Times for the Non-fiction genre portion of DITHOR in the 2/3 level. This instead of the One Small Square books. Do you think this should be the only book for the genre like the One Small Square books, or should we plan to use for 10 days and read another for 5 days. I don't want to make it too easy.
My son is in Beyond, 1st grade and we are about to finish Lew Wallace (in same series with Amelia Earhart). It was about 108 pgs or so. Somewhere around 3.6 reading level. More words on page; Biography. IF you Live In series... has bigger print, less words on a page, but is nonfiction. about 80pgs and says RL3 .

What have any of you done when reading the IF you Lived In ..series

Thanks

JennD.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

jenntracy

Re: if you lived in...series for DITHOR

Post by jenntracy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:12 pm

bump
Mom to 4 Blessings
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:13 pm

I have used the "If You Lived..." books before and they vary so much in length. I know the "If You Lived 100 Years Ago" one was longer and would work fine for 15 days. Hmmm, I was just thinking also the content because it is not a fluid story but rather answers to individual questions can become overwhelming if too much is read. I am thinking 15 days would be fine to spend on it. Even though it has bigger print, there are often many names/places that can be trickier to read that make it harder. If you get going though, and start thinking it would be better to move more quickly, you could always speed up and choose a different book to finish out the last 5 days. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:02 pm

Thanks Julie. That confirms what i was thinking.

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger