Please help me understand DITHOR

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mamato6

Please help me understand DITHOR

Post by Mamato6 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:05 am

We are new to HOD and I'm looking at doing LHFHG with my 4 year old (should be here in a few days) Beyond with my almost 7 and 9 year olds for sure. My question is, what is DITHOR? Can I use with a second grader? Her reading hasr eally stepped up, but I"m not sure its at the reader level. Can I use it only for my going to be 4th grader?

Also, is it okay to use a different language arts program with beyond? I'm also pretty happy with our math program.
I'm sure I'll have a TON more questions :P

Chandi

jenntracy

Re: Please help me understand DITHOR

Post by jenntracy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:49 am

I am using Beyond with my 7yr old 1st grader. We used DIthor right after finishing the Emerging Readers set. We modify it at times so that it is done orally or I will do most of the writing as he dictates the answers to me. We also have been taking it slow. For instance we take 2 days to read what would normally be read in 1. This way he only reads one day and then the next day he reads and does DITHOR. So it takes us 2x as long to finish the genre as what is normally recommended in the DITHOR guide. When he is ready we will pick up pace. I was finding it was just too much for him to read in one sitting, so that is why i broke it up the way i did.
You could also easily only use DITHOR for your 4th grader and do something else with your 2nd grader. I'm assuming they are at different reading levels right now and would probably have different books they would be reading anyway, even if using DITHOR with both. There are 3 levels of instruction in DITHOR guide as well. Only have to buy one teacher guide for all levels.

You can definitely use your own math if it is working for you. We have used Math-U-See from the start.

You could use own Language arts if you wanted. We use Beyond guide as written for Language Arts b/c we are using it more as 1st grade. Next year we will use Rod and Staff for our 2nd grade as recommended in HOD.

Welcome to HOD.

JEnn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:49 pm

Look at the emergent reader set first and see if that is more her level. My ds had read many of the first ones in 1st grade before we started HOD, so I just added in the supplementary titles along with the ones he had not yet read for this year. He has loved all of the ones we've read this year.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:12 pm

Hi Chandi, and welcome to the HOD Board! :D Reading instruction within HOD moves through phonics, Emerging Reader's Set (ERS), and Drawn into the Heart of Reading (DITHOR) 2/3, 4/5, 6/7/8.

Your fourth grader could do DITHOR either level 2/3 or 4/5, with books of your own choice or HOD's book packs. Some moms like to have their dc begin with 2/3 even if they are a fourth grader if it is their first time doing DITHOR.

Your second grader could do the ERS or DITHOR 2/3. The ERS is an excellent transition between phonics and DITHOR 2/3. The ERS begins with easier books and moves into books that are progressively harder. Comprehension questions move through Bloom's Taxonomy. They are specific to the books, and included the Appendix of Beyond and Bigger Hearts. I'd more than likely put your second grader there. You can start anywhere, at the beginning of the set or in the middle. Or, if she is a strong reader and writer, you could start her in DITHOR 2/3/

We have loved DITHOR for many years! It is a wonderful way to teach reading. :D Oh, and you can sub in LA and math, but you may want to take a serious look at HOD's - it's time conscious, academically sound, easy to teach, CM-based, and in the guide you'll already own. HTH! :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mamato6

Post by Mamato6 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:12 pm

Thank you
I guess I didn't understand that LA was already in the guide!! See I learn something new everyday. We are using Christian Light LA this year.
Chandi

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:29 pm

Mamato6 wrote:Thank you
I guess I didn't understand that LA was already in the guide!! See I learn something new everyday. We are using Christian Light LA this year.
Chandi
Well, come on over - I'll give ya the LA Beyond Tour Guide! :D :D :D In Beyond Little Hearts, there are spelling activities that lead well into the dictation the following year in Bigger Hearts for His Glory. Beyond has 2 spelling lists, with the first set being harder, and the second set being harder. It also has once a week grammar that provides an introduction to basic parts of speech. Copywork of classical poetry is included as well, and it is the poetry that is being studied in the guide that is linked to the history. It has narration, Storytime genre studies, guided literature discussions, and story element lessons as well as offering some different reading choices. Our kiddos are strong in their LA skills, and I know it is due to the years of balanced, solid LA HOD has to offer. I do realize that people may want to sub for them, which is a-o-k, but just so you know what there is already to be offered in Beyond. HTH! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie