I am free of curriculum hopping!!!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
striving2Bprov31

I am free of curriculum hopping!!!

Post by striving2Bprov31 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:26 am

To All,

For many reasons, we are a family that is now FULLY committed to HOD, and using it as written. Before God brought us to this point, our homeschool was collapsing--and quickly. As I have mentioned on another thread, we will begin again in January. My children are placed in the perfect guide for their level and that decision alone is sometimes half of the battle!! :) I cannot describe the peace that has come to my heart, our checking account:), our children, our homeschool because of FINALLY reaching this point. It really has been "in the nick of time" as my husband and I were making plans to enroll our dc in school and walk away from homeschooling forever. My heart grieved at the idea of the dream of homeschooling coming to an end. God moved on our hearts, revived us to this calling, directed our steps to HOD (which makes our homeschool tick as it should). Our endevors to homeschool would have failed if not for the Lord moving in this way.

Here is how He brought us to a point of showing us that we are to use HOD:

1. Enabling us to FINALLY reconcile our philosophy of education, causing us to clearly see that HOD reflects that philosophy.

2. Enabling me to clearly see that while I want to give my children what is fitting for their education, I MUST think of myself in this journey. I MUST have a homeschool plan that I can execute, not just on my "best" days, but also my "worst" days, my busiest weeks, and all of the surprises that come along. The plan must be a "can-do" in all aspects, preserving my capacity to fulfill the other needs in my life, our home, and the needs of those around me. I must have a homeschool plan that does not sabotage success in the other areas of life!! HOD fills this need beyond what I can describe.

3. Showing us that our primary goal in homeschooling is to raise up our children to be warriors for Him. The Lord laid it heavily upon my heart two years ago that our children will be fighting a greater war than what I can imagine in the latter days of their little lives. I MUST arm them and prepare them with, not only a working knowledge of God's word, but a passion for His ways. HOD helps me effectively do this because I don't ALWAYS have all of the answers (shocking, I know :) ).

This list just touches on a few things...

So no more searching, asking, wondering, googling, buying books that get shelved, crying, and curriculum hopping...etc.!!

I know I am kind of "gushing" right now! I tend to be a very passionate and emotional person... and ....this "eureka" has been a LOOONG time coming. The waiting for this resolution in our home has come with much tears and exhaustion at times, so I am pretty ecstatic--in case you can't tell.

Hope this blesses someone today. :) :)

Merry Christmas!!

psreit

Re: I am free of curriculum hopping!!!

Post by psreit » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:44 pm

I had a similar experience with our dd, but we DID enroll her in our Christian school last year for K, because we didn't accomplish a lot the year before. I believe, at the time, we made the right decision. It gave me time to really evaluate dd's learning style and abilities. As the year progressed, the situation came to a point where i knew I had to bring her back home. I couldn't imagine not homeschooling again, but most importantly, I had learned that dd needed a different approach. While browsing on the internet, I can only say that it was the Lord Who allowed me to come across HOD. I had never heard of it before. Up to that point, I didn't know how I would be able to make homeschooling work for dd. I didn't know what curriculum to use. Needless to say, when I found HOD, I was hooked. I found HOD in February, but I had to let dd finish K in school. It was a long wait. I have not been disappointed in the least. Like you, I have had such peace since I found HOD. I don't have any desire to try other curriculum. The Bible teaching couldn't be better. This has been a fun and relaxing year. You won't be disappointed. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:33 pm

I am happy for you. I can tell you are at peace.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

lovetobehome

Post by lovetobehome » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:47 am

I can relate so much, and appreciate your post! I, too, am happily settled in with HOD and my life is running more smoothly. Your comment about needing a plan to work on ALL days, not just the best days, was especially appreciated. I agree!
DS 11 Finished CtoC! Moving on to RtoR!
DD 9 Preparing- Hoping to give her the best year possible, and sticking to the guide as written!
DS 4 All About Reading, R&S preschool workbooks, maybe some Little Hands

HappyMama

Post by HappyMama » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:19 am

I am so happy for you! I also have found much peace with HOD. It is truly a wonderful blessing! :)

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:02 pm

I share your feelings! HOD has been a huge blessing. I plan to use it with my 12 year old either this spring or next fall. She also joins her younger sister for storytime, though she tries to look like she isn't :wink: It is the Christ-centered focus and ease of use that makes me know I would not want to use anything else. Rejoicing with you in your sense of peace :D
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:13 am

So happy for you. I feel the same!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

Kim S

Post by Kim S » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:28 pm

This is almost exactly where I was although enrolling them in school was never an option. I do feel like I have failed my two middle children in homeschooling. I wish I had HOD when they were younger. :(
I too need something I can execute every day no matter what that day brings. I love how it is laid out for me and I too am following it as written (although I am not as good with the hands on stuff :( )

I feel such a peace with my choice. My son who is in K seems to love it. I have already planned out his school years putting HOD as what I will be using until we have done all the HOD there is.
Kim S in Northeast Tennessee
Mom to 5 blessings Jamie 19, Sloane 16, Savannah 15, Collin 6, and Judah 3
"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon."

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:52 pm

It is a huge blessing to feel the Lord's peace with a decision. We pray He will be near you on your homeschool journey with HOD. We will enjoy sharing the journey with you as we travel a similar path with our own kiddos! :D

Blessings,
Carrie