I am confused about beyond

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kim S

I am confused about beyond

Post by Kim S » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:27 am

I was looking at the packages and it looks like the Thinking Skills book that is recommended for LHFHG if you start in 1st grade is not recommended with the BLHFHG. Why is that? Do you just do nothing in the way of workbook or those skills with beyond?

My son will be doing beyond next year and he will be first grade.
Kim S in Northeast Tennessee
Mom to 5 blessings Jamie 19, Sloane 16, Savannah 15, Collin 6, and Judah 3
"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon."

jenntracy

Re: I am confused about beyond

Post by jenntracy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:08 am

I got a book for my son who is in 1st grade this year, using Beyond. We actually got the Thinking Skills 2 book. the 1st one looked like it wouldn't be challenging enough for him. There may be a few pages i rearrange for him to do later in the year, but otherwise we are following along 3x a week and he seems to enjoy it. I would say, it is probably good if your child is at least half-way thru Emerging Readers. if not, then maybe the 1st thinking skills would be challenging enough. I think someone else on this loop did the same as I.

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:50 pm

Not having used either, I'm guessing it is because Beyond has more writing, such as copywork, and an introduction to grammar, and longer read-a-louds than Little Hearts, basically that all the skills are already covered in the Beyond guide and a Thinking Skills book would not be necessary. But I'm sure you could add one if desired.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:19 pm

Hi Kim! :D The Thinking Skills book is intended to be used during the LHFHG year, but of course it could be used with Beyond if you wanted. As blessedmomof4 said - the reason the Thinking Skills book is not scheduled in Beyond is because students are ready to be challenged by doing more Charlotte Mason style LA skills - such as copywork, introduction to the basic parts of speech, and daily spelling with accompanying LA skills that prepare dc for dictation in the following guide. Likewise, higher level reading in the form of the Emerging Reader's Set or DITHOR 2/3 is scheduled (unless dc are finishing out phonics), as well as longer Storytime books along which a variety of skills are taught, including beginning oral narration skills, but here's a more detailed list:
*Day 1: introduce and study different types of literature
*Day 2: model narration to foster comprehension
*Day 3: identify and analyze a different story element for each genre
*Day 4: relate personally to one Godly character trait, compare
Biblical and book characters, and select one area to improve
*Day 5: practice narration by retelling the story in a variety of ways

So, all of this works together to give a much deeper LA focus than a workbook can, and while you certainly could add a workbook if you wanted to, I just wanted to encourage you that you by no means need to. Simply by doing Beyond, your child will have a very solid year of LA and many new and exciting skills to hone. Doing BHFHG right now, I'm thankful for all the good training Beyond provided. It's an exciting guide to teach - I hope you enjoy it as much as we did! HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:21 pm

Just to add. I never saw the thinking skills book (at least #2) as an LA focus. I just see it as giving my son a little extra challenge and have seen things in the wkbk that are not in Beyond.
We only do 1 page, 3x a week so it is not that much of a workload.

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:48 pm

jenntracy wrote:... I never saw the thinking skills book (at least #2) as an LA focus. I just see it as giving my son a little extra challenge...
Good point - I agree - not really an LA focus! :D It seems some dc love workbooks, and if a child is going to do one, the Thinking Skills line is very good. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie