Dictation for Spelling

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momofabcd

Dictation for Spelling

Post by momofabcd » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:50 pm

Please encourage me that dictation really works for spelling. I'm sooooo skeptical, but I've also pulled my final hair out with dd's horrendous spelling. I've given in and decided to go the dictation route because Carrie is so right on with everything else. Please tell me it works!
Deena
Mom of A Graduated 2017, B 12th, C 8th MTMM in 2018/2019, D 6th Res to Ref 2018/2019, E 3

Lindy S.

Re: Dictation for Spelling

Post by Lindy S. » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:03 pm

I understand you're wanting someone to say, "It will be okay." I just started it last week so I'm not the one to say, "Yes, we've had success." However, I can say it has caused less stress in our homeschool and therefore one less hair pulled out! I'm very thankful to give it a try and know that God is able to fill in gaps if indeed it's not exactly the BEST thing. Only God knows what is best. Okay, I'm preaching to myself now but truly all things really do work out for our good so we can relax.

Many blessings!

~Lindy

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:46 pm

I'll say it...it works! :lol:

My dd is using dictation instead of spelling lists. She has always been a struggling speller, and though she still misspells LOTS of words, she is improving. AND she enjoys the dictation exercises...I think it gives her confidence as opposed to seeing over half her spellings words marked wrong on a test, which she says "makes me feel stupid." Plus, it is helping with her listening skills, as well. We first tried dictation for the 2009/2010 school year...with some weeks skipped due to a move, the holidays, etc.. Her spelling score, though still behind grade level because that's just where she is in that area, jumped 1.3 years from her score the previous year (based on grade equivalence scores). I fully expect her score to improve, and by a larger margin, in the spring when we test her. So, there's my testimony. With a little time, I'm sure others will jump in and give their opinions as well. :wink: Give it some time...I think you'll see great success.

patekake

Post by patekake » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:07 pm

I will say that it really works, and it was proven to skeptical me by the results of my dd's achievement test scores. Last year I was right where you are with wondering if it really would really work. After a year of trying dictation, I can say that my dd's achievement test results improved dramatically. Although she has always been a good student, she would make a perfect score on a traditional spelling test, and then the following week, misspell the spelling words in written work. That was very frustrating to me, and it prompted me to try dictation. I am so glad I did. It literally takes 5 to 10 minutes a day and produces impressive results!

Patti
Wife of 27 years to Gene
25 year old dd (hs, ps, cs), working on Master's
23 year old dd (hs, ps, cs), Dental Assistant
13 year old dd, homeschooled, CTC (2009) and beginning RTR Aug, 2010

momofabcd

Post by momofabcd » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:59 pm

Thanks so much Patekake and InHisTiming. I will relax and let the dictation do its job. My dd really does enjoy it, so that's a huge plus.
Deena
Mom of A Graduated 2017, B 12th, C 8th MTMM in 2018/2019, D 6th Res to Ref 2018/2019, E 3

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:22 pm

Deena,
The ladies have done a great job of reassuring you in this area! I know it IS hard to give up a spelling program. I had the same struggle myself. I'll link you to a few threads that may be of encouragement to you too as you move forward with dictation. Just be aware that it is a slow burn, so you'll want to commit to it for a year before really weighing your success. :D

Link:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6895
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4877
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5558
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1241
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1246

Blessings,
Carrie

momofabcd

Post by momofabcd » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:33 pm

Carrie, thanks for those links. They were very encouraging. I'm especially encouraged that both you and Julie had the same reservations at the beginning of your journeys into dictation but have seen the fruit of sticking to it. Thank you for letting me know it's a "slow burn" I can't wait to see the progress she makes as time goes on. I now have hope that her spelling can and will improve.
Deena