CTC Science

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
annaz

CTC Science

Post by annaz » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:48 pm

Can anyone tell me how many weeks are devoted to the Human Body in CTC for Science? I know there's the 3 books; History of Medicine, Galen and Human Anatomy. Also what type of activities are there for this?
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

georgiamomof3

Re: CTC Science

Post by georgiamomof3 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:34 pm

Anna,

It looks like medicine/anatomy is studied from Units 23-35. There are approximately 3 weeks dedicated to the Galen book, approximately 5 weeks for History of Medicine, and then the final 5 weeks are dedicated to the anatomy book. When I skimmed the units, it looked as if the experiments and activities include: using geometry to test what the eye sees (optical illusions), how blood circulates (draw a diagram), draw a diagram of surgical tools, in what types of products is aloe vera used today (home remedies), what is the body's natural response to bleeding, how bacteria cells multiply, what prevents germs from spreading, how do diseases spread, what is the half-life of a radioactive element, how do different joints move, draw a sketch of muscles, how the lungs work, draw the digestive system, how the eye lens helps you see, and draw a diagram of an ear.

I just quickly skimmed over the topics and it looks like so much fun! My dd(10) is finishing up Preparing (using CTC's language) and then we'll move into CTC around Decemeber. I am ready to begin all of CTC now, though! :wink:

HTH,
JoAnna

dd (10)-Preparing/CTC, DITHOR, MUS (5th)
ds (6)- LHFHG, MUS (1st)
ds (4)- LHTH (pre-k)

annaz

Re: CTC Science

Post by annaz » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Very helpful!

We're doing Preparing now and I received an Apologia Human Anatomy book from a friend. I took it because we've never done any Human Body topics and I never thought to look beyond Preparing. :roll: Looks like I don't need it.
Thanks JoAnna!
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock: