Tempura Paint? Can other paint be used for LHTH?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
laurabelle1317

Tempura Paint? Can other paint be used for LHTH?

Post by laurabelle1317 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:33 pm

LHTH calls for tempura paint in more than one spot. Does it have to be "tempura" paint or can we use other paint and finger paints that we already have around?
JayBird, 4.5y/o using LHTH
JellyBean, 2y/o copying Big Brother doing LHTH

We're blogging! Check out my new (and first ever) blog as we share all that we are doing with Little Hands to Heaven, and more! http://www.IntoTheirHearts.blogspot.com

kmartin

Re: Tempura Paint? Can other paint be used for LHTH?

Post by kmartin » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:01 am

We just finished our first week of LHTH. I checked several stores for black tempura paint without success. Didn't get a chance to go to an art store - maybe they might carry it? Anyways, we wound up using the black paint that was part of a watercolor set we had and the project turned out fine. I'm guessing other types of paint would have worked as well.
Karen
ds-12yrs-Public school special ed
dd-9yrs-Using CTC
ds-6yrs-Public school special ed
Enjoyed using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, and Preparing

Candice

Post by Candice » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:30 am

Hello,

I just used Crayola Washable Kid's Paint or whatever was in our house at the time.
I think you will be fine with what you have on hand.

Candice :D

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:02 pm

Wouldn't you know, when I started this activity with my little girls, I couldn't find the black paint!!! :roll: So, I just used the black that was in our watercolor set. The same little black well for two little girls!!! :shock: It worked really well. I just kept adding a few drops of water every so often to keep the paint comin' ! They had a wonderful experience watching their pictures appear, and the black watercolor paint made for a nice looking picture when they were done. With HOD you can substitute for a lot of the supplies, by just using whatever you have on hand.

Blessings on your year!

In Christ,

Lisa

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:38 pm

We used the Crayola Washable Kids Paint from Wal-Mart, too. (It doesn't have the black that you need in Unit 1, but we found some Washable Poster Paint in Wal-Mart in the craft section. :wink: )

Happy Painting! My kids have LOVED the activities in LHTH!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:44 pm

We just used paint from walmart too. I think it was a crayola set but I can't remember.
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!