My plans would work for this year, but maybe not next year

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ShariCA

My plans would work for this year, but maybe not next year

Post by ShariCA » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:05 pm

I should probably take it one year at a time, but it's hard not to plan ahead. I have 4 and 5 year old boys who have language delays. I was going to start slow and do LHTH mainly with my 5 year old for his K year. He would be ready for it and probably for LHFHG next year. My 4 year old could do LHTH also this year and would really enjoy it, but I'm not so sure he would be ready for LHFHG next year. Since they are so close in age I would like to keep them together, but I don't want to hold my 5 year old back too long or stretch my 4 year old too much next year.

Any idea or suggestions? Should I just do LHTH this year and not even think about next year? (probably, lol)

acts29stl

Re: My plans would work for this year, but maybe not next year

Post by acts29stl » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:02 pm

I would not worry about it. Do LHTH and enjoy the year! I will be doing it as well (my third time around). It's soooo much fun and it's amazing how much the kiddos learn throughout the year :D So much maturing and growing up can happen in 1 year! There are plenty of options for next year, so "don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself." Blessings and have a great year!!!
Psalm 27:4 "One thing I desire of the Lord, that will I seek; that I may behold the beauty of the Lord and meditate in His temple."
ds(13)& dd(12) MTMM, DITHOR
ds(10) CTC, DITHOR
ds(9) PHFHG, DITHOR
ds(7) LHFHG
dd(5) LHTH
dd(4) LHTH
dd(2)
dd(10-3-15)

tjswaine

Post by tjswaine » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:47 am

You could do LHTH at half-speed (you could even get both Bible and devotionals if budget allows and alternate with them) with both boys. When your older ds is ready for more, you could add the right side of LHFHG. I think it would work out to combine them if you place them both at your youngest son's level and add more for your older if needed.
Blessings to you as you decide.
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}

MamaPajama

Post by MamaPajama » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:53 am

You're like me. I like to plan things out years in advance. I have kind of learned my lesson with trying to be too specific, but I don't think it's a bad idea to be thinking about it in advance. I too would like to combine my kids as much as possible. Right now they are one guide apart, only sharing the LHFHG story time. My hope is that by the time we get to Preparing we might be able to combine them, which may mean doing Bigger half-time with my son. We'll see. :wink:

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:20 pm

I think you are fine to go ahead with LHTH at full speed for both boys. When next year rolls around, you can evaluate, and you might decide to do LHFHG at half pace for both boys, which would be TOTALLY fine :D

They would each still have reading and math on their level. OR the youngest might not even have reading/math formally yet, but might continue with number and alphabet activities like in LHTH. Just wait and see how it plays out.

Most of all...Relax and ENJOY LHTH. It is SO much fun!
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

ShariCA

Post by ShariCA » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:21 pm

Thanks for the encouragement and ideas. I thought about LHFHG at half speed next year. That would be using it for my older son's 1st and 2nd grade year. It's doable, but I wanted to use the K options with him next year and didn't want to keep him in K workbooks into 2nd grade; just for 1st grade.

How could I do this? What would we do each day?
Left side stretched over 2 years (half speed)
Right side done full speed, but repeated. Once with K options, then second time with 1st grade options for my older son. And the second time through with K options for my younger son.
I would use easier books for storytime the first time through, and the scheduled stories the second time through.

KimS

Post by KimS » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:38 pm

Hey Shari. I think you just need to focus on this year and not worry about next year. Ben may come a long way in the next year. Just have fun. It has been quite a while since we have homeschooled little ones let's enjoy it. :D

ShariCA

Post by ShariCA » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:55 pm

Thanks, Kim. :) I know you're right, but it's so hard to think of him being anywhere near ready for that kind of work in just one year.

MamaPajama

Post by MamaPajama » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:56 pm

ShariCA wrote:Thanks for the encouragement and ideas. I thought about LHFHG at half speed next year. That would be using it for my older son's 1st and 2nd grade year. It's doable, but I wanted to use the K options with him next year and didn't want to keep him in K workbooks into 2nd grade; just for 1st grade.

Right side done full speed, but repeated. Once with K options, then second time with 1st grade options for my older son. And the second time through with K options for my younger son.
I would use easier books for storytime the first time through, and the scheduled stories the second time through.
If you wanted to do LHFHG for 1st and 2nd, I would get the Beyond guide for the second year and do the Language Arts, Math and Reading at full speed for both.

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:37 pm

ShariCA wrote:Thanks for the encouragement and ideas. I thought about LHFHG at half speed next year. That would be using it for my older son's 1st and 2nd grade year. It's doable, but I wanted to use the K options with him next year and didn't want to keep him in K workbooks into 2nd grade; just for 1st grade.

I am doing LHFHG at half speed with my son and this is very similar to what we do. We do math, phonics, and fine motor skills daily with the k options. When we get done with them we will go back and do the 1st grade options.

I also add in library books on the science topics for that week and history books from Carrie's list in the back. If our library doesn't have those exact books, I just do a search in their catalog for the history topic and can usually find a few books to substitute. It's a little hard to find the books right now because we are still on a lot of the Bible stories and our library doesn't have many religious books. So, since DS has several children's Bibles we will usually read the Bible story out of one or two of those also just to review.

This is basically what our schedule looks like:
Day 1
Rhymes in Motion
History Reading
Handwriting/Fine Motor Skills
Hymn Study (I add this in using books from the Hymns for a Kid's Heart series. DS loves it!)
Phonics
Math
Library Books (I have been using books from SLP3/4 because I had them before we started HOD)
Rotating Box

Day 2
Rhymes in Motion
Library Books from Carrie's history list or reading from another children's Bible
Handwriting/Fine Motor Skills
Bible Study
Phonics
Math
Storytime
Library Books on whatever science topic we did on day 1

It has worked great for us. I am not going to go full speed even though DS is capable of doing the work because he only turned 5 in March (he was 4 when we started) and I don't want him to hit the other guides too young. So, this has worked great for us. And honestly, if we were doing it full speed I don't know if we would have had time to add in all the extra library books that we do and DS really loves going to the library each week and checking out tons of books so it's been fun for him.
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

ShariCA

Post by ShariCA » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:51 pm

I thought about do the Beyond right side instead of the 1st grade options in Little, but my 5 year old would not be ready for some of that. Both of them are going to need to go a little slower.

Sameul's mommy, I'm Samuel's mommy too. :) My 5 year old is Sam. Thank you for breaking down your schedule. I can see how this can work now.

Thank you all for responding. I can mull and plan in my head during the coming year.

MamaPajama

Post by MamaPajama » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:48 pm

I will be Samuel's mommy pretty soon as well! :D

ShariCA

Post by ShariCA » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Samuel is a great name! :mrgreen:

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:14 pm

Too funny about all the Samuels!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

MamaPajama

Post by MamaPajama » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:12 pm

Samuel'sMommy wrote:Too funny about all the Samuels!
It really is, especially since it's not terribly common for little boys right now...at least not where we live. :wink: