HODing through the summer?? Anyone?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
laurabelle1317

HODing through the summer?? Anyone?

Post by laurabelle1317 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:37 pm

Anyone doing HOD through the summer? We just started but I see the weekly check-ins have stopped. It is hot here, so we are working through the tortuous heat so we can have some indoor fun!
JayBird, 4.5y/o using LHTH
JellyBean, 2y/o copying Big Brother doing LHTH

We're blogging! Check out my new (and first ever) blog as we share all that we are doing with Little Hands to Heaven, and more! http://www.IntoTheirHearts.blogspot.com

countrymom

Re: HODing through the summer?? Anyone?

Post by countrymom » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:28 am

We school year round so we are basically working. We are taking a week off here and there. We will be starting Beyond in 2 or 3 weeks.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:19 am

We school year round, but not in a classical so many weeks of school and then a small break kind of way... my kids are all still little, so we just do school when we do school, and if they are sitting down reading I don't make them stop to do school :) We take more breaks in the spring and fall.

With DD1 we will be finishing up the last 5 weeks of Beyond sometime before September. With DD2 and DD3 we are about 2/3 of the way through LHTH and will work on it throughout the summer and fall and finish sometime around December or January hopefully.

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:59 am

My plan was to continue through the summer, but our guide is not here yet (waiting to be moved from NY to FL) so we are just working on Math, English, Spelling, and Handwriting...and reading LOTS of books. We're also plugging along in RME with ds 7, hoping he'll be ready to start the emerging readers in Beyond...by Christmas, maybe before. We're kind of a year-round school family, too. :wink:

laurabelle1317

Post by laurabelle1317 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:16 am

Lora Beth - That is the same sort of thing for us. We do school when we do school. We are just going to go half speed with LHTH since we are starting in the summer. Some days we are not home because we are out playing with friends. No need to stress about doing school at such a young age.

We're blogging! Check out my new (and first ever) blog as we share all that we are doing with Little Hands to Heaven, and more! http://www.IntoTheirHearts.blogspot.com

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:25 am

Yeswe are here-but we will take acouple of weeks off in August- we have my sisters wedding and the kids have aweek at grandmas-
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

eachlee

Post by eachlee » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:55 am

We're schooling through the summer with LHTH half-speed (3 days a week). I got some great photos of my kids last week doing unit 6, but the couldn't find the time to post them... We are loving it, and everyone wanted to continue through the summer even though their friends are all done preschool for the summer. :lol:
Nancy, mom to 3
DS6 - LHFHG, ER and BLHFHG Spelling
DD5 - LHFHG
DS3 - My little climber

We have also loved using LHTH!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:32 am

We end later in the summer usually. I like the August September months here better to be outside than in the heat. It tends to work out that we are done the end of July and take August and part of September off. We might start a little earlier this year, but on the other hand I always think I will but then never do. :lol:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

brokenopen

Post by brokenopen » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:44 pm

We just started Beyond last week and will be schooling through the Mississippi heat. Full speed for a few weeks, and then we will be watching some friend's children 3 days a week, so we might go to half speed for a while... we'll see, since it only takes about 2-3 hours of our day to do Beyond and LHTH, we might just do it in the evenings! We'd rather break in September and enjoy all the zoos and parks that will not be so crowded!
Mom to 4
DS11 Preparing
DS8 Bigger Hearts
DD6 Little Hearts
DD1

psreit

Post by psreit » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:38 pm

I wish I could, but I don't plan to start until August 2nd. June and July are just too full with Bible School, Day Camp, family camping, and sometimes out-of-state trips that may be planned. However, I have been doing The Reading Lesson with dd and some Math, just to keep some things fresh in her mind that she learned while in K. I am anxious to begin HOD full swing. DD did need a break from being in a school setting until the first week of June. Since we are hs this year, maybe next summer will be different. We'll see how it goes.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

FiveLittlePeaches

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:01 am

My kids actually ASKED to do HOD over the summer! We'll see how it goes.

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:54 am

I know I"ve already answered on here that we do school year round, but I have to add... the reason I can do that easily is because only my oldest knows that kids are out of school during the summer time. She knows enough about time now that she knows we can do school like we do it, and still have time to play with her friends just as much as if we weren't doing school. MOST of her friends in the neighborhood go to some sort of daycare/summer camp stuff because their parents work. So she realizes that doing school keeps her from being REALLY REALLY bored :)

rainbowacreshs

Post by rainbowacreshs » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:37 am

laurabelle1317

I would love to know..peeked at your blog.. how did you...where did you..how much did you pay...for a magnetic wall?!!?? 8) 8) 8) Would love to know please 8) :D :D :) :D
~Jasmine~
Married to a wonderful hubby since '95
DD Kasey 14 RTR Sept. '11 - June '12
DD Typhoon Tiffy 3yrs old beggining LHTH

Lil Ruth born April 25 2011..and just a pure joy!

laurabelle1317

Post by laurabelle1317 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:01 am

I only painted it magnetic half way up the wall. Got the magnetic paint at Lowe's. I got two of the containers (quart size? not sure...but it only comes in one size). They were about $20 each....so $40. Of course then normal paint supplies like a small roller, etc. Then I painted the regular color paint over it a few times.

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:08 pm

We school year round. The summers are just too hot here. :lol: So year round we do school 4-5 days a week. We take Fridays to do "extras" (homeschool group, Spanish, art, etc) but then we often school on Saturdays since dh usually works. If he's home we don't do school, of course. We take breaks as need. During the summer we start school a little later. Most of the year we start when dh leaves for work, about 8 am. But during the summer we start at about 9:30 or 10 so we can play outside and work in the garden while it's cool. I'm a morning person so that's hard for me to do, but if we don't do it that we then we don't get outside time. But other than that, it's pretty much business as usual. :wink: We really don't know anyone in the neighborhood, so that's not a problem. Also, my oldest is only 6 and doesn't really understand that other homeschooled kids don't do it this way. She knows that the ps isn't going (her aunt is a ps teacher) but that's about the extent of her knowledge.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG