Do you have a laminator?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
laurabelle1317

Do you have a laminator?

Post by laurabelle1317 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:26 pm

In trying to decide what path we may take as a homeschooling family, I once thought I would make a ton of my own things and want a laminator. I might still want one, not sure. But for now, contact paper is probably fine (though there is a great laminator deal on amazon right now). Now that we have decided that our homeschooling path will be with Heart of Dakota (LHTH right now), I am wondering if I will still want a laminator or not...wondering if I should get on this great amazon deal that I keep hearing about on homeschooling blogs.

Thoughts? I know DH does not want me to buy another "thing" that I won't really use much.
Last edited by laurabelle1317 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
JayBird, 4.5y/o using LHTH
JellyBean, 2y/o copying Big Brother doing LHTH

We're blogging! Check out my new (and first ever) blog as we share all that we are doing with Little Hands to Heaven, and more! http://www.IntoTheirHearts.blogspot.com

smithdonnajo

Re: Do you have a laminator?

Post by smithdonnajo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:14 am

I have a small laminator (8.5x11) I purchased for a good price at walmart a few years ago (Before I even knew about HOD). We have used the laminator for my kids drawings or art things. They are always coming up with ideas. Sometimes they have made their own "ID cards" or placemats or wanted to laminate a map. It can have all kinds of uses. I've used it to laminate chore charts too.

Now, with HOD, I've used it to laminate the alphabet cards in LHTH, but of course, this is not necessary. I don't know what other uses it could have with HOD, because we just started using HOD about a month ago.

If you can get one at a really good price, I'd think you'd be glad to have it on hand and would find uses for it. I think every homeschool should have one!

Just my two cents!
Donna Jo

eachlee

Post by eachlee » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:05 am

I don't have a laminator but I have access to one. My husband works for a smaller company and they have a small laminator. I buy the pouches and can use it whenever I'd like. My husband brings it home for me when I ask, and then I have it for an evening. I do love being able to laminate things! If I didn't have access to one I would likely be in the market to purchase one. :D
Nancy, mom to 3
DS6 - LHFHG, ER and BLHFHG Spelling
DD5 - LHFHG
DS3 - My little climber

We have also loved using LHTH!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:22 am

I have a laminator and use it occasionally. I really like having it. It is handy. I have to say I use my comb binder more but love having both. I think I got a cheap laminator as well and it works well. In fact I have two uses for it right now that I need to get done. One is a craft thing and the other are chore cards to put in each room with the how tos.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Catherine

Post by Catherine » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:50 am

I'm sort of addicted to laminating, so I say go for it! It really makes things last a lot longer and I love how shiny and professional everything looks. :) I also think it's easier to save things for other children because laminating it makes it more durable.

I just blogged about the great deal on that laminator at Amazon if anyone is interested in seeing it. :)
~8 yr old DD
~6 yr old DD
~4 yr old DS
~2 yr old DS

annaz

Post by annaz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:10 am

I have a laminator. I use them for math (I use BJU). There are some visuals I laminate as my dh made me a flip chart stand out of pvc. I usually laminate things I want to keep or will get heavy use. I used to use BJU Bible and they have some really good things in the worktexts I used that I laminated as keepers. It's an awesome tool, although probably nothing I have laminated couldn't be stuck in one of those clear sheet protectors which have various thicknesses. It's just a fun tool! And probably more useful with a larger family. We are self employed, so it can be used there too.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:18 pm

I also got a laminator at Walmart , last year. It is my toy. So easy to use and inexpensive. I even did a few things for VBS to help me when i volunteered last week.
It was Scotch TL901, if i am allowed to say that. I love it!
Jenn
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

MamaPajama

Post by MamaPajama » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:36 pm

OKay, I have to ask. Is there a link to this extra-special awesome deal? ....'Cause I've been thinking about getting one too. :wink:

laurabelle1317

Post by laurabelle1317 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:49 pm

Buy the laminator plus a pack of 50 sheets and after rebate, its just $21 for both items total. Great deal!

I think I'm going to have to get one! It's an amazing price!

We're blogging! Check out my new (and first ever) blog as we share all that we are doing with Little Hands to Heaven, and more! http://www.IntoTheirHearts.blogspot.com

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:15 pm

I don't have a laminator, but use one A LOT. You don't NEED one for HOD. Yes, it is nice to laminate the alphabet cards in LHTH. Although this isn't necessary, I've made some extra activities to go with each letter to put in my 4 yo's workboxes for him to do while my oldest does handwriting, math, etc. It helps so much to laminate this kind of stuff so that it will last for when my 2 yo and any other potential children we might someday need it. :lol:
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

MamaPajama

Post by MamaPajama » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:46 pm

For the record, I ordered it last night and it's due to arrive tomorrow! Can't wait to play with my new toy. Thanks for the heads up!

laurabelle1317

Post by laurabelle1317 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:30 pm

So for those that got in on this laminator deal already, how does the rebate work? Is it automatic after you purchase the item? Or do you have to send away for it?

MamaPajama

Post by MamaPajama » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:59 pm

You have to mail it in with your Amazon packing slip and the UPC codes from both packages.

sw1ssm1ss

Post by sw1ssm1ss » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:41 pm

One thing you could do with a laminator is make magnets for the different boxes in your program. Because we sometimes had to be flexible with the order of our program, magnets worked better for us than a set schedule or a checklist. I photocopied the clip-art symbols from the guide onto different colors of card stock and wrote the subject name underneath. I laminated them (I used self-stick laminate and it took a long time to do 10 magnets perfectly), and I stuck a sticky magnet on the back. Despite some heavy usage by the kids *and* getting lost under the couch a few times :evil: they have held up well and I will be using them for Beyond!
Married to beloved dh for 11 years
DD7 - Beyond
DS4.5 - all boy :)
DD2 - sweet, petite toddler fun