Beyond or other program in double speed?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
4littleones

Beyond or other program in double speed?

Post by 4littleones » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi all,

I have ordered Bigger for my 7 and 8 yo. I am thinking of getting Beyond as a better fit. Do you think it is a good idea to do Beyond double speed rather than Bigger half-pace?

Has anyone done any program double speed?

Thnx

blessedmomof4

Re: Beyond or other program in double speed?

Post by blessedmomof4 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:06 am

Hi! I have never tried doing any guide double speed, but I don't think I would recommend it. The lessons in Heart of Dakota are meant to be taught in short blocks of time for maximum retention and minimum frustration :) Besides, your kiddos are right in the target age range for Beyond, which is ages 6 to 8, and if they fit better into that according to the Placement Chart, they will have a very full and pleasant learning experience. You can adjust language and math up or down for either of your students if necessary.
Lourdes
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:47 am

I think the only program I'd truly go double speed with would be LHTH with an older child, and that would be just to get them a LITTLE BIT OLDER for LHFHG.

Now, with finishing up Beyond for my just turned 7 year old, we are both ready to move on, so I'm doing 1.5 days of curriculum or so per day... I finish a week in 3.5-4 days... But we have 5 units left in it... we haven't been doing that all year... In fact, we started in late July last year.

I would definitely not do a whole program for older children double speed. I think if they fit in Beyond then just do Beyond as written... it's really an awesome program!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:00 am

I agree with Lourdes and MomtoJGJE - I wouldn't try to do a program double speed as you'll lose the beauty of short lessons savored and done well (a key CM style of learning component that is wonderful for keeping days balanced and the love of learning going). :D You can do Beyond with the 2 of them, but use the right side of Bigger Hearts if needed for whatever LA and math your older child may need. Once your dc begin Bigger Hearts, from that guide on up there are extensions, so at any point you can add those for your older child if you feel that child needs it. But, I would venture to say Bigger Hearts on up will be enough for your older anyway. :wink: Your dc are right within the target age ranges for Beyond, so no worries about doubling up there! Just enjoy it - it's a super way to begin learning American History and it sets the stage nicely for Bigger Hearts! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie