9 yo boy struggling with math...help!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MommyInTraining

9 yo boy struggling with math...help!

Post by MommyInTraining » Mon May 17, 2010 3:13 pm

My son will be 9 tomorrow. He is still having trouble with simple math problems such as 12-5, or even 1+3. He has done some of Singapore EarlyBird and I started him in Singapore 1A a while back, but stopped. I don't know what to use with him. He is left-handed, so I don't know if that has anything to do with his math issues. Should I just start over with him in Singapore 1A, or pick up where we left off in 1A. Do the 1st grade math with him? I really don't know what to try with him next. I would appreciate your wisdom in this matter!
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

Tansy

Re: 9 yo boy struggling with math...help!

Post by Tansy » Mon May 17, 2010 4:19 pm

Are you doing the hands on activities?
My suggestion would be to let him use blocks, raisins, pictures, any objects to do the problems when he gets stuck.
Let him do a whole bunch on a number line. I love Carries activity of using a car on the line to drive up and down to add and subtract.
If you want him to have instant recall than you can drill him. I love what my kids nuro-therapist does which is drill drill with flash cards then they just listen, then you say them while they write them down... but no testing just input. It's fabulous for getting instant recall. Cause there is no "test" they relax while doing it and it makes thing easier over all.

Yes leftyness can effect the kids ability to find information if the kid is righty in other aspects of their development. like right eyed, ear etc.... But being left handed normally give the kid an upper hand as they tend to be More logical.

Hope that helped.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Mon May 17, 2010 4:31 pm

I don't know what it is. It seems like it just doesn't "stick". Does that make sense?
Terri

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DS-1yo

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Mon May 17, 2010 4:36 pm

My DD8 (will be 9 in June) was having the same issue. I don't know why or what could have possibly caused it. We're still working on it though, and I'm seeing progress! We were using Singapore and finished up 2B, then I decided she wasn't ready for 3A (especially since there were no more hands-on activities). The beauty of HOD is you can use what fits you and your child!! We changed to another math program with similar methods as Singapore, but more practice, and smaller steps, as well as more traditional scope and sequence. My daughter has greatly improved!! I'm seeing her progress by leaps and bounds, and she is "getting" math!! So, that is to say, don't feel tied down if you've given the program a year or so and it's obviously not working. Either stop and focus on those certain skills using more hands-on, real-life, Ruth Beechick style of math in life, or find something that will work! I love HOD and all it's suggestions, but math is a personal decision in HOD b/c not one thing will work for everyone. I am loving HOD even more now that we found the right math!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon May 17, 2010 4:45 pm

yes it does. I have taught my DD1 who has many many problems retaining information, sensory issues, the list is long of learning issues she has.
I have also seen my DD2 Who doe not yet have instant recall but will tackle any problem because singapore has taught her how. She will draw a picture or use an abacus, count up, count down, she does all sorts of way to solve the problem. They are like Night and Day!

DD2 can't do instant recall of 12-5 is 7 but she can figure it out on her own, she just finished Singapore 1B. I'm going to do the Instant recall program my dd1's therapist uses over the summer with dd2 just so she can have instant recall. But drilling is not really necessary. I know she can get there on her own if she tries. Singapore really gives them a over view of math and an understanding of how numbers relate to each other to gain proficiency in handling problems. Not a parroting back of 13-8=5 tho that comes in time just like c-a-t turns into cat in the long run when teaching reading.

Clear as mud?

your boy may need much more input than say Sally does who lives 3 houses down but he will get there. double check where he falls in the Singapore chart and start him off there. I did move my DD1 into Math u See Singpore did not work for her. The beauty of HOD
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/

Josiah's Mom

Post by Josiah's Mom » Mon May 17, 2010 4:49 pm

My son had a hard time with math until we tried Saxon and now he really understands math. In the early grades they do a lot of hands on activites. They also do a lot of review so you know for sure he understands the material. Also they teach math in a way that it really sticks and they understand why 2+2=4. Hope this helps.
Rebecca

Wife to Marc 11-27-99

Mom to Josiah age 8 6-11-01

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Wed May 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Does Singapore teach the fact families?

If so, is it introduced in 1A?

Thanks!
Terri

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DS-1yo

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 20, 2010 11:12 am

I think the best thing to do would be to use the Singapore placement test and start there. The best thing you can do is start there and consistently do math each day along with the hands-on math plans in HOD. Singapore does cover fact families. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie