3 HOD Program at once? Am I crazy?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
1shortmomof4

3 HOD Program at once? Am I crazy?

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Sun May 16, 2010 1:08 pm

Long story short (I tend to tell looooonnnnggg stories): My upcoming 9th grade dd is going to work through RTR, mostly on her own (but I've learned with high schoolers that you never just assume and leave them all alone, kwim?) which is great and do-able. I was then considering my ds (5th grader) working through Preparing (this is where he places on the chart) and then my other little ds (2nd) would be doing Beyond (again, this is where his skill level is/maturity). Can I really handle 3 kids in 3 different programs in various "time zones" for the year - not mention my other high schooler who will be working through either the first half of American History or a compact complete set of American History for 11th! I've read over and over that it works better when you can keep your kids all in the same time period but that is just not possible - I don't think?

I really love HOD and missed it this year. My one ds worked through Beyond and it was his favorite year (he has repeatedly told me so) but we went with SL Core 1 last year because my 2 olders were working through WP Ancients (I stayed in the same time period) and it worked well for ME but I'm not sure that my ds got as much out of it as he had in the past with Beyond. We returned to Bigger this year but man, he was lost in the Eggleston books so we went with WP AS 1 (early American history) and I tried to have my youngest, 1st grade, study alongside - just didn't work out. My little guy was not engaged in the stories and there really were no activities that brought the program together (to me at least). So, here I am remembering the best year we had in homeschooling was when in Beyond (I took pictures and everything) and I so want bring that happiness and togetherness back in but THREE programs at once? Will be I a basket case by the end of the year? The only other option would be to have my 2 youngest work through a middle ages program that I would have to come up with on my own..... thoughts

Heidi
Mom to 4
Heidi - LEO wife for over 21 years
Mom to 4 - ds 21 (college), ds (RTR), ds (visual-spatial learner who needs to see the big picture first) and future educator dd 18 (college)

Mom2Monkeys

Re: 3 HOD Program at once? Am I crazy?

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun May 16, 2010 1:28 pm

I'm doing 3 guides right now, and mine are all young, plus I have a nursing infant. It's very doable...even with my 3yo being a very high maintenance child, and doing BIgger which is said to be the most teacher intensive guide. Now, my 3rd guide is just LHTH, but you could equate that with your 9th grader in RTR as far as your time commitment. :D So, no you aren't crazy! Just consider, I'll be doing FOUR guides soon! But, once you hit CTC where there's much more independence, it seems it smooths out well.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sun May 16, 2010 2:10 pm

Heidi I also do three programs. It works great. :D The older guides are really pretty independent so it does not really feel like three programs. I think you would be fine with three and to me that is so much easier than trying to do something on your own. As long as there are not major other glitches and your kids school well I think it is very reasonable. :D So no you are not crazy. :D

Oh and I should add I do three by choice. I could have them in two if I really want but three for our family has really been great. :wink:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun May 16, 2010 2:37 pm

Heidi - I do 3 guides at once and find it easier than combining due to the spread in ages and abilities I have. We did CTC, Beyond, and LHTH half-speed last year. My teaching time with CTC was around an hour, or at most 1 1/2 hours. I did use all of HOD's recommendations for LA and math, and teach the guide as is though. If you have more time intensive LA/math choices, then that adds to the teaching time and the length of the day. RTR will be very independent, as CTC was. I trained my ds to use the teacher's manual, check of the boxes as he finished, and gave him a routine order to do the boxes in. This training took around 2-4 weeks, and then he was off and running. :D I loved my teaching time with him as it kept us in touch. The CTC Student Notebook made it easy to see if he hadn't finished something. Empty box - what happened there hon'? :lol: RTR will have a Student Notebook too (they're beautiful). :)

PHFHG was a joy to teach. Dc have more independence in PHFHG than they had in BHFHG, and as long as they are ready for it, it's wonderful! I think you'd especially enjoy "Grandpa's Box". The science reading becomes independent in PHFHG, so that's one thing you won't be reading that you read in the earlier guides. Again, putting a few weeks into teaching my ds to use the manual, check of the boxes, routine, etc. all made it a cinch to get in.

Beyond - well, you know Beyond. Short, engaging, easy to get in. You'll enjoy it the second time around too - I sure did this past year. :wink: But, you will know what you can handle, Heidi. You could look at combining your younger 2 in possibly Bigger Hearts (with extensions for older) otherwise. The placement chart though really is very accurate and will help you know what is expected in each guide academically. Just so you can maybe visualize how 3 programs could go in your home, I'll put a link to my schedule I used last year:

Once we were in our groove about a month into school, we finished each day by noon or 12:30 PM. I did not do anything but homeschool from 8:15 to lunch though. :wink: Not so hard to do though, knowing we all had the afternoon free then! :D We loved our year. I think you could too! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

1shortmomof4

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Sun May 16, 2010 5:38 pm

Well, that gives me some support for sure in handling that much! ha ha! I would like for my ds who is in 5th to be more independent, he's still on the cusp. He was a late reader (starting finally independent reading this year) so I'll have to give some thought - especially on the science. We did do a week of Preparing as a test run and he did enjoy Grandpa's Box and we checked out the arctic and I think with some gentle care and encouragement, he might just be fine and surprise me once again next year in his growing skills. The littlest of my guys (not really little though, looks like a line backer!) seems to learn so much through osmosis when it comes to math and reading but I've had a hard time engaging him in science (he wants to be a pediatrician and take care of kids) and history - just can't figure out his learning style. He does enjoy the hands-on which I know Beyond offers and it is easy to do, no odd/unique/expensive stuff needed and he has definitely learned to sit longer and listen to stories. Hmmmm.....I agree it would be much easier to have each of their day's planned out without me coming up with some plan for each day. I just want to return to the cohesiveness I found when we used Beyond - that's all I want!!!! :lol:

Heidi
Heidi - LEO wife for over 21 years
Mom to 4 - ds 21 (college), ds (RTR), ds (visual-spatial learner who needs to see the big picture first) and future educator dd 18 (college)

momof4girls

Post by momof4girls » Mon May 17, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks Heidi for asking this particular question! I will be new this year with 3 guides as well (CTC, BHFHG & LHTH) It's encouraging to see others in similar situations. Julie, I also like your idea about starting early A.M and not doing anything else in between until lunch and then being finished for the day! We also stopped for lunch and then it seemed like I had a hard time personally get the wheel spinning again! Lastly, thank you for sharing your schedule, it's awesome!
Stacey
Married to my sweet DH (Kelly) for 15 yrs!
Blessed with 4 beautiful girls!
Klaryssa 11 (CTC & DITHOR fall 2010)
Savannah 8 (BHFHG & DITHOR fall 2010)
Victoria 5 (TRL and LHFHG fall 2010)
Isabella 3 (trying to keep up!)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon May 17, 2010 2:02 pm

momof4girls wrote:...We also stopped for lunch and then it seemed like I had a hard time personally get the wheel spinning again! Lastly, thank you for sharing your schedule, it's awesome!
This is what we found! :) We had a hard time finishing after lunch. When we started our year, the first 2 weeks we had to break for lunch and finish about an hour after it. But, with routine, the time just fell off the day, and by about 3-4 weeks in, we were done in 4 hours. I'm so glad my schedule may have helped some! It worked well for us, and I know it won't fit everybody, but I figure even if it gives some ideas to sound off of, it's worth sharing. :D Thanks!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Tue May 18, 2010 8:11 pm

I love seeing the schedules. I am so visual. Thank you so much for sharing!
Now I am waiting to see how you juggle Bigger at half pace and LHTH :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri May 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Heidi,

The ladies have already done a great job of answering your questions. I'll just pop-in to say that before separating my kiddos in their own guides (and letting go of having them all on the same historical tie period), I had heard everywhere in homeschool circles that it was absolutely important to keep the kiddos on the same history cycle or the parent would be stressed. Well, I discovered the flipside was true. :wink: When making the history cycle supreme, I WAS STRESSED trying to keep them all studying the SAME time period because I struggled to find material that matched their level and was constantly watering down or adding to the material. It was a constant search. :lol:

Once I let go of the history time period and cycle as being supreme and just focused on where my kiddos were at developmentally when choosing material, my year went so much better. So, last year I had a child piloting RTR, one doing CTC, one in Beyond, and one in LHTH (at half-speed). Our year was great, and we were done by 1:15 or so most days (and this included a recess or playtime with a younger sibling within the schedule). So, yes you can do multiple guides, because in all honesty if you're putting together your own program you'll be doing the equivalent work of multiple guides anyway, whether you do it through HOD or not. :D

If you do go the multiple guide route, I would likely start everyone at half-speed for one week (left side of the plans one day, right side the next) while you train the kiddos in what their guide requires. Then, I'd up the oldest to full-speed for a week and give her any needed guidance and training in using the guide (keeping the others at half-speed). Next, up the Preparing child to full-speed for a week (while keeping the Beyond child at half-speed) to work out any training and scheduling for the Preparing Hearts child. Last, up the Beyond child to full-speed. That way each kiddo has a week with you focused mainly on training them within their guide, and you know where your focus should be for that week. :D

Blessings,
Carrie