Question about adding more critical thinking books

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Michelle

Question about adding more critical thinking books

Post by Michelle » Fri May 14, 2010 10:31 am

Hi there!

We're only days away from finishing our first HOD school year and I still get excited to do it each day! That is amazing because I like change a lot and for me to want to continue with a program after half a year is a feat in itself! :D Still loving it.

Anyway, my dd is finishing up LHFHG and her all time favorite subject has always been the Thinking Skills book. She was disappointed to hear that we didn't have one scheduled for the next guide. So my question is......should I add in the next book (Thinking Skills Grade 2) or I was thinking of beginning a book called "Building Thinking Skills" the level 1, by The Critical Thinking Co. I think those books would be good for both my dd and ds.

I'm really interested in what any of you think!

God bless,
Michelle :)
12 yo ds using R to R for 6th grade!
8 yo dd using BHFHG for 3rd grade!

mrsrandolph

Re: Question about adding more critical thinking books

Post by mrsrandolph » Fri May 14, 2010 11:16 am

I LOVE the "Building Thinking Skills" books. I think if your daughter wants them for "fun" they would be good ones. Kinda pricey. You can get them from CBD for less that from The Critical Thinking Skills Co. :D
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

2littlemisses

Post by 2littlemisses » Fri May 14, 2010 11:23 am

My dd6 loves thinking skills and we are going to continue with them for first grade and beyond if she desires. They do not take up a lot of time and she feels such a sense of accomplishment. She also loves to color, cut and paste and sometimes that is enough to quench her craft needs. :D
DD 10
DD 8
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, using BHFHG & PHFHG this fall

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri May 14, 2010 1:13 pm

I'm so glad to hear about your happy year with LHFHG! :D I don't think there's any harm in adding the Thinking Skills book as long as it doesn't deter her from being able to do the rest of Beyond. :D If she can keep up with the copywork and other portions of Beyond and still do the "Thinking Skills" book, I say why not? :D You are going to enjoy Beyond as much as you did LHFHG. We just finished it last year and will remember our year so fondly. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Fri May 14, 2010 2:15 pm

we are going to do the thinking skills 2 book next year in Beyond.
i think the building thinking skills books look awesome,also, and i might do those if my son continues to like doing those type of books.

If your daughter really enjoys it ,let her enjoy that part of school again. That is my opinion :)

Jenn
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Fri May 14, 2010 3:54 pm

I used a different book from the Critical Thinking Company this year with my ds, and I already have the "Building Thinking Skills" the level 1 book as well. I will use it to fill in time for ds when I'm working with dd on Math or Spelling. My ds liked the book this year and I know he'll really enjoy the second one. I'm just not going to stress if he doesn't get to it everyday or complete it. KWIM?
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM