One more ?? Juggling 3 kids schedule

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
playschool

One more ?? Juggling 3 kids schedule

Post by playschool » Sat May 01, 2010 6:30 pm

For those who have used CTC with an older child, Bigger with another, and have a 1st grader doing his own work (this year, we are just going to really concentrate on the 3R's with this child), what does your schedule look like? Just wondering how doable something like this is? We tried Preparing with the 2 olders this current school year but ended up bombing because although the older child could handle the work, the younger of the 2 oldest (3rd grade currently) struggled and we had to wait for him to get things done which was quite frustrating for them both. He also would let his older sister answer all of the questions, etc. Wondering if putting them in 2 separate programs would be better. Thought that ds might even do better this year with Bigger than trying to repeat Preparing, which we already got rid of. Thanks!

kvmck

Re: One more ?? Juggling 3 kids schedule

Post by kvmck » Sat May 01, 2010 7:46 pm

I don't have 3 kids in 3 different programs... but just wanted to say that it helped both of my older ones to be in the program that was at their level. They are 16 months apart with my son being the oldest and in general they are close enough in their learning level for me to put them together. I started them off at too high of a level and school was torture for all of us. All that just to say that I think it would probably be less time consuming to have 3 kids doing 3 different things at a level they are comfortable with then having to struggle with slowness and complaining (well, I don't know about your house but that is what happened at mine! :oops: ) and I ended up having to do some of their work for them which made me frustrated and took up more time! Also, from what I understand, CTC has more independent work for the child which might give you more time with the youngers. I know I have also read somewhere that some ladies combine the story read-aloud for all the kids (use just one book) even though their kids are in different levels. My kids are doing Bigger currently and are 8 and 9 years old, it is a great fit for them. I have my 9 year old do some of the extension package work as well.

But I am sure some moms with the specific experience you are looking for will give you their insights soon. :D
Kristen

ds '00 PHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '02 BHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '07 LHTH

ncmomof5

Post by ncmomof5 » Sat May 01, 2010 8:27 pm

Playschool,

You just described what the first half of my year was like trying to combine my 8, 10 and 11 year olds in Bigger. My 10 and 11 year olds were really not challenged enough, and my 8 year old let them answer the questions, felt inferior because their notebook pages, drawings, etc., were better than his, and just generally did not participate fully.
After Christmas I felt led to put my older 2 in CTC (where they place in the placement guide), and it has been SO much better for all of us since then. My 8 yo is much more engaged and is learning so much better doing Bigger by himself. And my older 2 are being challenged at just the right level for them. It really was better to add another program than to continue to try to make one program work for everyone.
2013 - 2014
15 yo dd -- MTMM
13 yo ds -- MTMM
12 yo ds -- finish PHFHG/CTC
9 yo ds -- finish BLHFHG/BHFHG
5.5 yo dd -- LHFHG

"Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Matthew 6:32

brenm37

Post by brenm37 » Sun May 02, 2010 12:01 pm

I will have 3 in 2 different programs next year. This year, I had 2 in the same program. My oldest (fifth grade this year), got bored with waiting for her younger (3rd grade) sister to finish independent up, so we could move on to together things. She really wanted her own program, so I finally allowed her to start CTC this year. SHe is doing most of it all on her own, at her own pace, which she enjoys. I spend maybe about 20 minutes with her, going over questions and looking at her assignments - she even does the Teacher directed boxes on her own, but I make sure I read and discuss with her in those boxes. My rising 4th grader will start CTC next year also, but be behind her older sister and we will go half speed as well, realizing I will take more time in the boxes with her. My rising 1st grade will start Beyond, also half speed. I hope to combine story time and plan to pick a book each time from each guide, to vary our choices. I do enjoy combining as much as possible, but have found with HOD, it is easy to separate them out and each one feels like they have their own thing, something my oldest really needed at this point. :D
Brenda

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon May 03, 2010 5:29 am

My biggest problem with juggling kids is being patient with the baby during school time... or being patient with all of them if just one is having a bad day. The actual programs are so easy to do with multiple children. We did decide to combine my middle two just for me... they were doing great with having separate programs, but I was ending up just not doing it with someone each day just because of me being selfish and wanting to do other things for ME... So I put them both in LHTH and am doing right side LHFHG with DD2.

I would think that as they get older and more independent that it would get even easier even though you are teaching more during the day. Right now I have two that are completely dependent and one who is semi-independent on some things.