Questions about Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lovedtodeath

Questions about Bigger

Post by lovedtodeath » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:58 pm

I have the guide for WP AS 1 but I don't think I want it. I would have to add character training separately, I really wanted a one year program, not two, and I am not happy with the spine. HOD looks like the activities may be easier to implement as well. HOD is also less expensive so I can more easily rely on buying all of the books.

So... I have some questions.

How is Bigger Hearts providential? If I don't believe that America is God's chosen country or that He hasn't guided modern history can I still happily use the program?

I have WP AS1 and Beautiful Feet's Character guide... I am thinking of selling these to get Bigger with extensions. If you have an opinion on that I would love to hear it.

The guides look similar to what I want and am used to... actually doing something with the reading. Can someone explain if/how Bigger does any type of timeline and/or notebooking? What do we do after the reading?

Thank you!

lovedtodeath

Re: Questions about Bigger

Post by lovedtodeath » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:02 pm

Oh, let me know if there is enough on African American history... I didn't see supplemental books for that?

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi!

So good to see you here!

I am not sure about the providential aspect, but I am sure you will get some answers soon!

Welcome!
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

wow8kids

Post by wow8kids » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:38 pm

For reference in comparing - what is WP AS?
Stacey in MN
ds - 14 - high school '10-11 (yikes!)
ds - 13 - RTR '10-11
ds - 11 - CTC '10-'11
ds - 10 - CTC '10-11
ds - 8 - Bigger '10-11
dd - 6 - 3R's
dd - 5 - 3R's
ds - 3 - staying out of trouble...sometimes

lovedtodeath

Post by lovedtodeath » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:20 pm

WinterPromise American Story 1

Thank you.
Carmen, teaching Jake 3 and Emily 8
Third grade coming up:
HOD Bigger, Phonics Road 2, Math Mammoth.
http://www.thephonicspage.org/index.html

lovedtodeath

Post by lovedtodeath » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:12 pm

I don't know how to edit... I should mention that the main reason I chose Winterpromise is that they use a lot of books with pictures. It does concern me if Bigger does not have much.
Third grade coming up:

MommyMc

Post by MommyMc » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:20 pm

What ages are your kids? Would Beyond be a better fit?
Anita
Wife to a hard-working hubby
Mom to five great kiddos (4/98, 2/00, 3/05, 11/06 and 3/09)

lovedtodeath

Post by lovedtodeath » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:00 pm

I am so tired today. I knew I was leaving out pertinent information, sorry. I plan to start Bigger when my DD is 8 and a half. It is more about learning style and personality than age.

lovedtodeath

Post by lovedtodeath » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:31 am

I am going to get Bigger. When I fall in love with a program I can't pass it up. I love how all of the subjects are in the TM. Awesome! I can most likely add a few picture books much easier than totally overhauling WPs program.

I would love some reassurance if anyone wants to reply. I am impatient. lol
Third grade coming up:

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:02 am

I'll try to reply since I've looked at both programs and have had the manual and most books from each program in my house at some point.
I have the guide for WP AS 1 but I don't think I want it. I would have to add character training separately, I really wanted a one year program, not two, and I am not happy with the spine. HOD looks like the activities may be easier to implement as well. HOD is also less expensive so I can more easily rely on buying all of the books.
This was my problem with WP AS1. I like how HOD has great Biblical tie ins already done for me. I also wasn't sure I wanted to dive into some of the topics of WP AS2. DD didn't like all the coloring and cutting for the activities in WP. I was hoping that the MYO notebook pages would be fun for her, but they were very disappointing. Most were paragraphs reviewing the same info we had read in other books with a picture on top you could color. She does enjoy most of the HOD activities we've done in Beyond and I assume Bigger will be the same since the activities are the same type. I certainly do like the price of HOD better since that means I don't have to feel guilty about buying all the books or rely on the library (which I've found I don't care for).
How is Bigger Hearts providential? If I don't believe that America is God's chosen country or that He hasn't guided modern history can I still happily use the program?
We don't believe America is God's chosen country and yet so far HOD has been a good fit. Though I can't give you a definite answer on this in Bigger since we have not used it yet. Our family does believe that God has had in hand in our world throughout all time, not just Bible times so maybe I'm not seeing things that may be questionable to you.
The guides look similar to what I want and am used to... actually doing something with the reading. Can someone explain if/how Bigger does any type of timeline and/or notebooking? What do we do after the reading?
I do like that there is a key idea to help me discuss the reading more. And we like that science and the activities tie into our history readings. In Beyond, there were directions to make your own small timeline for the time period being studied. I assume the same is true for Bigger since I've seen some pictures in the week in review section.

ETA: Here is a thread that has a picture of a timeline that Julie (the author's sister) made for her DS. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5531&p=40569

I certainly hope others who have used Bigger can help out more, but I hope this gets you started.
Last edited by crlacey on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:04 am

Oh, I forgot to address the picture books. That was what was drawing me to WP. From what I see, Bigger is not very visual. Though my DD has not seemed to mind the lack of pictures since the activities are great. And the science books Bigger uses are very visual, so that will probably take care of our visual needs for the year.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

lovedtodeath

Post by lovedtodeath » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:16 pm

Thanks so much for addressing my concerns.
We don't believe America is God's chosen country and yet so far HOD has been a good fit. Though I can't give you a definite answer on this in Bigger since we have not used it yet. Our family does believe that God has had in hand in our world throughout all time, not just Bible times so maybe I'm not seeing things that may be questionable to you.
I just don't want someone telling me that God was definitely behind a specific historical event, as they don't really know that. KWIM?

I think that with maturity Emily has been able to handle more read alouds, so it should be okay with the one picture book and a few that I already bought from AS 1.

My other questions can be answered when I order. Thank you!
Third grade coming up:

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:37 pm

I am sure Carrie and/or Julie will pop in with an answer. I know they are extremely busy right now with conventions!

I am glad to hear you are going to be giving HOD a try! I am still not sure what we are going to go with, but, I will be deciding hopefully in the next few days!
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

lovedtodeath

Post by lovedtodeath » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:34 pm

I am loving the HOD guide so I am really wanting to try this... but it appears that Bigger doesn't cover much after 1913... it claims to go to 1970 but only the Wright Brothers book does this? In that case it is not much different than using Winter Promise's American Story 1?

It would be much simpler if I just did Middle Ages... but DH wants us to do American History.
Third grade coming up:

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:41 pm

I've been sitting here going over my Bigger supplies for next year and trying to figure out what else I still might need. I looked at the history books and the guide to see what is covered beyond 1900. It looks like in addition to the Wright brothers, the building of the Panama canal, Louis Armstrong, migrant workers, and the Vietnam war are looked at using Journeys in Time and A First Book in American History. Bigger doesn't delve into modern American History of the 20th century and beyond, but I imagine this is something that is planned for a future guide.
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1