Waiting on recommending Teaching Textbooks...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MommyInTraining

Re: Waiting on recommending Teaching Textbooks...

Post by MommyInTraining » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:24 am

Hi Carrie,

I was wondering if you had an update on this subject. I saw that you didn't mention TT in the new catalog. I am currently using Singapore and MUS with my oldest. I am finding it hard to get time to grade her work and was thinking TT would help to solve that problem. She would be using TT5. Would you say that it would be better to stick with Singapore or do you feel TT is fine at the lower levels?

Thanks so much!
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:21 pm

Carrie, have you seen Life of Fred. It's independent for the student, and very complete. He is working on Pre-Alg now (with 1 of 3 parts done) and already has Alg 1 through college level maths. It's not video or computer based, but has clear, concise lessons and looks like something any child educated with living books would really enjoy! :D He also has two levels that could serve well as a transition from Singapore to algebra for kids that finish 6B in 6th grade amd need to fill some time before starting it.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:47 pm

I have heard good things about LOF also. I look forward to hearing what Carrie thinks of it too!
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:54 pm

Ladies,

We are currently underway with Videotext Algebra with my oldest son and are really liking it so far. However, we will have to go much further into the program before making a firm decision on whether to recommend it. :D Videotext has finished testing a Beta version for an online option of the Algebra I and II program and is in Beta testing for the Geometry/Trig. portions too. This makes Videotext much more affordable, as the cost is half the price of the current hard copy/DVD's. :D We did order the hard copy/DVD's for Videotext, as the program was still in Beta testing when we ordered. The program was easy to open-and-use and made more sense to me once I had it in hand. The sampler was good, but the papers were a bit hard to sort out. Once we had the actual program in hand, the books for the various components were easy to figure out. :D

We are finding the program easy-to-use and the instruction to be straight-forward. I will admit that it is taking time for me to watch the lessons with my son and to correct the quizzes, but the lessons are short (5-8 minutes). I also am choosing to make sure I do it with him, so I will know it for my next kiddos in line (as 8arrows mentioned earlier in this thread). I think this is an important thing to point out, as no matter which math program you use it will be important to be involved in the higher level math with the child. :D The presentation/lecture notes are so helpful with Videotext, especially if I would happen not to have time to watch a lesson with my son. :D The teaching is very well illustrated on the DVD and taking a quiz each day ensures the child knows the material prior to progressing, which is a missing component in many programs. The material within Module A of Videotext is challenging, as it is an overview of all skills needed for Algebra (in essence a rigorous pre-algebra course). So, it's important to go slowly through the first module and make sure your child understands. :D We will keep you posted as we journey. :D

As far as Life of Fred goes, I find it to be an interesting read and the math explanations to be fairly good overall. However, I feel it is better as a supplementary program rather than as the spine for math. This is because, from my perspective, it doesn't seem to give the parent the guided help that is needed to jump in and help the child if the child is floundering with a concept. I've also felt some of the content throughout the series is not as God-honoring as I'd like to see, even though the more blatant parts have been changed to be a bit more conservative. I do think the stories are funny and interesting and that kiddos will be entertained while doing math that way. I just wouldn't be comfortable with it as my only upper level math program, so we've chosen not to use it with our own kiddos. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Thu May 27, 2010 4:56 am

Carrie wrote:We are currently underway with Videotext Algebra with my oldest son and are really liking it so far. However, we will have to go much further into the program before making a firm decision on whether to recommend it. :D Videotext has finished testing a Beta version for an online option of the Algebra I and II program and is in Beta testing for the Geometry/Trig. portions too. This makes Videotext much more affordable, as the cost is half the price of the current hard copy/DVD's. :D We did order the hard copy/DVD's for Videotext, as the program was still in Beta testing when we ordered. The program was easy to open-and-use and made more sense to me once I had it in hand. The sampler was good, but the papers were a bit hard to sort out. Once we had the actual program in hand, the books for the various components were easy to figure out. :D

We are finding the program easy-to-use and the instruction to be straight-forward. I will admit that it is taking time for me to watch the lessons with my son and to correct the quizzes, but the lessons are short (5-8 minutes). I also am choosing to make sure I do it with him, so I will know it for my next kiddos in line (as 8arrows mentioned earlier in this thread). I think this is an important thing to point out, as no matter which math program you use it will be important to be involved in the higher level math with the child. :D The presentation/lecture notes are so helpful with Videotext, especially if I would happen not to have time to watch a lesson with my son. :D The teaching is very well illustrated on the DVD and taking a quiz each day ensures the child knows the material prior to progressing, which is a missing component in many programs. The material within Module A of Videotext is challenging, as it is an overview of all skills needed for Algebra (in essence a rigorous pre-algebra course). So, it's important to go slowly through the first module and make sure your child understands. :D We will keep you posted as we journey. :D
Hi all,
I'm in the process of discerning what math to do as my oldest comes to the end of Singapore. I would be interested in knowing thoughts on Saxon at the higher levels. Also, It seems that so many math programs advocate algebra in 8th grade. Why? It appears to me if you begin in 9th you still have plenty of time to do all you need to do.

Thanks.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

KimS

Post by KimS » Thu May 27, 2010 5:36 am

Can I respectfully say that if you are not good with math you will NOT want to use Video Text? We have used Video Text Algebra and TT Algebra. My son was so frustrated with VT. It gave you the answers but no explanation of how you got that answer. TT works out every problem for you. We personally loved TT for Algebra 2. That is all we used it for.

My plan was to go from Singapore to TT in 3rd grade. I will rethink that now after your review. I have a friend who is starting her children in lower level TT this year so I will wait on her review too.

Thanks for all your time and effort in this.

Kim

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Thu May 27, 2010 7:46 am

Teri, you talked about having a hard time grading your oldest's MUS work, let me tell what we do. I don't grade anything! My 11yo grades his own work. If he misses something, and he doesn't understand how he missed it (simple math error) then he brings it to me and we go over it. He's been doing this since he was 9.

I can't tell you the last time that I even at looked the teacher's manual. :)
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH