LHFHG without LHTH first?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tukata

LHFHG without LHTH first?

Post by Tukata » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:39 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am deciding which books to order for my dd. She will be 5 in June, so K in the fall. I think she is ready for LHFHG (she can read, so I think doing a letter of the week thing would be very boring for her)...but, we haven't done anything *formal* yet. Is there anything from LHTH that would be good to do over the summer for her or will she be fine to just jump into LHFHG in the fall? I have two other littles so eventually, I would use LHTH with them. Thanks for your advice!
Erin
Mama to
dd 5
dd 3
ds 1
All three growing up way too fast!!

Catherine

Re: LHFHG without LHTH first?

Post by Catherine » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:01 pm

Hi Erin!
I think that if I were in your shoes, I would just go with LHFHG in the fall. LHTH is a fun and sweet program. I'm glad you'll get to do it with your other little ones! :)

Catherine
~8 yr old DD
~6 yr old DD
~4 yr old DS
~2 yr old DS

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:07 pm

We started off with LHFHG with our son and had no problems. If you wanted to do something you could do a few of the action rhymes to get her used to them. My son struggled with those at first, as he is a child that doesn't just jump into something and it was new and different for him. Other than that, we have done great!
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

MamaPajama

Post by MamaPajama » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:16 pm

I have no experience yet with HOD, but I can tell you that we will be starting our 6 year old son on Beyond to start out because he's already (almost) completed K in a different curriculum. :D

ncmomof5

Post by ncmomof5 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:19 pm

I have to agree with the other moms. I, too, started my 5 yo ds in LHFHG this year without having LHTH before it. He is doing just fine. If your daughter is reading (you go, girl), then she should really enjoy LHFHG.

Just my 2 cents. :lol:
2013 - 2014
15 yo dd -- MTMM
13 yo ds -- MTMM
12 yo ds -- finish PHFHG/CTC
9 yo ds -- finish BLHFHG/BHFHG
5.5 yo dd -- LHFHG

"Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Matthew 6:32

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:50 pm

I plan on starting my daughter who will be 5.5 in September and K in the LHFHG guide. I think you could do that with yours, too. You can always start out a little slow if you need to get her used to it. If she can read , i think she is definately ready for it.

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:17 pm

If she can read, I would definitely without out any hestiation put her in LHFHG.

Enjoy!
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Erin,

I just wanted to say "Hi"! :D I'm glad to see that you found your way over to this board. Best wishes with HOD.
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

Tukata

Post by Tukata » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:02 pm

Thank you everyone! I think I will go with LHFHG in the fall without doing LHTH first. That was what I was thinking based on the info on the website, but I feel better about the decision after seeing responses from those of you with experience. Thank you so much!
Mama to
dd 5
dd 3
ds 1
All three growing up way too fast!!