LHTH question.........

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
christyg

LHTH question.........

Post by christyg » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi ladies! I posted a few days ago about the handwriting in LHTH. I got some great advice about possibly doing the kindergarten handwriting book K and the kindergarten workbooks with LHTH and then doing the 1st grade handwriting book A and the 1st grade workbook with LHFHG. My son will be turning 5 in October and I think that LHTH is a perfect fit for everything else, but I was thinking that him being 5 during the school year, it might be better for us to do a little more handwriting. I was thinking about my daughter doing LHFHG this past year (we did the Kindergarten options) and I think that she probably could have easily handled the 1st grade options, but she was a perfect fit for the rest. I just haven't seen any of the 1st grade books to get an idea. I was just wondering how many of you have done this and how has it worked out? I am hoping to decide and place my order at the end of this month. :wink:

Thanks so much!
Christy :D

ShariCA

Re: LHTH question.........

Post by ShariCA » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:52 pm

I'm going to do the LHTH with my ds who will be 5 in May. I'm just adding the K options from LHFHG. Then when he is in first grade, we will do LHFHG with the first grade options. So we will be doing the K handwriting while he is 5. I think it will be enough for my ds. I want to give him practice without overwhelming him. You could always do the K writing, and if he finishes early, just order and start the 1st grade workbook.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi Christy! :D If you do the Kindergarten handwriting for your ds when you do LHTH, I think whenever you finish it, you could easily have him do the First Grade handwriting. We did "A Reason for Handwriting K", and then when we finished that we did "A Reason for Handwriting A". I did modify "A" a bit, and told my ds that as long as he had about 3 neat letters on each line, and traced the word and wrote it very neatly 2 times on each line, that was enough. I wanted quality over quantity. He did very well with that, and always tried his very best to write very neatly, as he knew he'd have to do more if it wasn't done well. So, that may be something to have in the back of your mind when you have him do the first grade handwriting later. As far as the first grade "Thinking Skills", he will do just fine with that. "Finding the Answers" and "Do It Carefully" will be a good stepping stone for "Thinking Skills" and will easily prepare him for that. For science, I'd personally choose the K science. I think both of the sciences are excellent, and I got them both because I couldn't decide. :oops: They are not all that different, and the "K" science plans are in the daily two page spread, so I'd go with the "K" for that reason - though either one is very good. :wink: HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

christyg

Post by christyg » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:18 pm

Thanks ladies, for all of your help! I LOVE this board! Everyone is so kind and helpful. I really feel blessed to have found HOD. :D

Thanks, ShariCA! Looks like we will be in the same situation next year. Looking forward to it! :D

Julie, you always seem to say exactly what I need to hear. :wink: And that goes for all of your "everyday life" words of wisdom as well as your curriculum words of wisdom. I always love reading your responses. :D Thanks so much for taking your time to share your helpful hints with us!

Have a blessed evening!
Christy :D