Question about Binding

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
AwaitingHisReturn

Question about Binding

Post by AwaitingHisReturn » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:40 pm

I want to change my binding to spiral and have the cover laminated. The reason I want to do this is because I love to fold my manual back to one page and have it sit on my lap. Is this not recommended?

crlacey

Re: Question about Binding

Post by crlacey » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:36 am

I'm not sure the thickness of the manual would lend itself to being spiral bound very easily. I know the binding that was chosen for the manuals is a special lay flat binding. Which means you can push the binding flat so the book stays open on the table without breaking the binding. That being said, I do tend to cut the bindings off and put them in a 3 ring binder so that I can grab just the plans I need when we travel to my parents house during harvest time or spring planting.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:07 am

Here is a link to a previous post on this same topic :D

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2278&st=0&sk=t&sd=a ... al+binding
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

annaz

Post by annaz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:31 am

AwaitingHisReturn wrote:I want to change my binding to spiral and have the cover laminated. The reason I want to do this is because I love to fold my manual back to one page and have it sit on my lap. Is this not recommended?
Adding the spiral also makes it hard to fit into a shelf if you have them there. I have a bunch of BJU TM's and they're huge because of the spiral and they scratch my shelves and won't fit into my magazine holders either, because they make the TM wider. This may not be an issue for you though, just a heads up.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:02 pm

I did this with one of my HOD manuals and I wish I never did. It just does not wear very well this way. They take a beating when you use them every day like this. What I found is the perfect binding the way they come is the best and they do lay flat in very little time at all. I do cover the book in contact paper and that has worked great. I need to use most of my manuals three times so I really need them to last and I found the way it comes with a little clear contact paper really is the most durable. HTH :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:50 pm

With Little Hearts, I pulled the manual out and put it in a 3-ring binder. I like it that way, sort of. It is big when I go to put it on my lap (worse than the regular manual would have been). With Beyond and CTC, I am going to leave them bound and just go ahead and crease the binding. I hate creased bindings, but I shall survive it! It is better than tearing my whole manual up!!!
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.