CTC my dd wants to read the Story Time box herself

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
water2wine

CTC my dd wants to read the Story Time box herself

Post by water2wine » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:59 pm

Should I let her do this? She keeps on begging me. I have her listening into Preparing so she gets the History and Story Time from Preparing each day. We are having her listen in because she skipped that program and I did not want her to miss out on it completely. She is in 7th and a major book worm. Any thoughts on this? Thanks! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

NoodleMom

Re: CTC my dd wants to read the Story Time box herself

Post by NoodleMom » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Good question.
My daughter wants to read the read-alouds to the boys. They are all in Preparing. Waiting along with you for answers.

K

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:11 pm

I let my daughter but I pick another book for a read-aloud. For example, right now she is reading Archimedes on her own and I'm reading Children's Homer to her. I don't want to lose out on read-aloud time with her, but don't might her reading a book if she wants to.
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

Himfirst01

Post by Himfirst01 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:22 pm

I'm anxious to see what Carrie (and others) have to say as well. Personally, we have the same thing go on in this home. My children would much rather read on their own. Which is a great benefit to me at times, because I work. However, I do see the the benefit to them to read aloud (listening skills, the opportunity for us to discuss and interact with the material, etc.) So, we try to find a balance. I don't see anything wrong with the children (My youngest is almost 12) reading some titles on their own and others aloud with me. Or, sometimes we will take a chapter and read together and then let my daughter go back to completing it on her own. She is also an avid reader and very visual. She tends to remember more detail when she reads to herself than when she is listening to me. Different learning style than me! So, we try to accomodate and not rely soley on 1 method. It would be easy to let them read it all, and take for granted they understand the material, whn in realit they may not. So, I would say, if you want to let her read it on her on, go ahead, then have her either orally or in written form narrate back what she has read.

At this age she may feel she is getting enough of the "Together" time with the Preparing material and may need the independence of reading her other history silently.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:37 pm

Himfirst01 wrote: So, I would say, if you want to let her read it on her on, go ahead, then have her either orally or in written form narrate back what she has read.

At this age she may feel she is getting enough of the "Together" time with the Preparing material and may need the independence of reading her other history silently.
That is a good point the few times I have let her do this I have had her narrate to me either orally or written depending on what else we have going on for her day. She is getting the Preparing books read aloud to her and in addition we are reading through the NT chronologically and commentary together. I have them narrate on that and what is the deeper meaning of the verse type thing as well. So she is getting quite a bit of read aloud time. I think if we were not also reading Preparing plus our Bible time I would not consider it. And I would not hand over the Bible time portion because that I really want to discuss with her. But I want to make sure I would not be messing anything up in the program by allowing this. :D I also do not want to mess up next year for her in RTR starting with habits that may be off. At that point my other older kids will be doing CTC so she would not be listening but the Bible reading time would continue daily for our family. I think she is the only one of my kids that would want it this way. The rest would rather have me do it. :lol:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:58 pm

Part of the reason the parent is reading aloud Storytime is to model good reading skills. If you are reading aloud to your dc from PHFHG already, I guess I don't see any reason that your dd couldn't read the CTC Storytime on her own. However, I do think it is very important to do the Storytime plan's follow-up activity with dd, which requires some skimming on the parent's part if the parent hasn't read the book before and is unfamiliar with it. I often have my ds read me a few pages of his DITHOR book and then I skim the rest for our follow-up activities. This works for that and would work fine in your Storytime scenario too. So, in a nutshell :D - I'd say as long as you are still reading aloud something to your dd, your dd is a strong independent reader, you skim the reading to know what's going on, and you still do all of the follow-up activities - I think this would be fine! In fact, in the next guide, RTR, the plans will say that if you are doing multiple HOD guides and are already doing the Storytime from another guide with all of your dc together, than you can choose to have your older child read their Storytime independently (as long as as they are able). :D So, YES! I think your dd can certainly read her CTC Storytime on her own! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:09 pm

Thank you! I did not want to mess anything up. She loves CTC so much it is like she does not want to give any of it away. :lol: I'll make sure to do the follow up with her and have her narrate to me what she has read. We'll give it a try anyway and see if it works. I am a pretty good skimmer so I think that it might work. I just did not want her to be missing anything she really needed to have or be messing up future guides. She and I are working on giving our best to everything so I am really keeping a close eye on what she is doing now pretty closely anyway. :wink:

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:13 pm

water2wine,

The ladies have given you terrific advice, and I fully concur! It sounds like you have an excellent plan that will work well! :D

Blessings,
Carrie