Carrie, a question about foreign languages.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Alison in KY

Carrie, a question about foreign languages.

Post by Alison in KY » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:30 am

Can you share with me if you are doing any foreign language with your children and if so when do you think is the best time to begin? I'm struggling with a certain latin program right now with my oldest and I've come to the conclusion that I'm just wasting our time. Other than learning a few vocab words I do not think we're getting anywhere with it...which leads me to the question is it this program or are we just in a place where adding anything else into the mix is just not going to work. I plan on starting CTC this fall with my non-independent guy and I'm thinking it looks like an extremely full program. I'm just thinking out loud here, but trying to figure out how to fit it all in and possibly find a latin program that we are satisified with. I also keep thinking that it would be nice to cover some Greek in the upper levels and definitely Spanish....but for THIS house, it just might be that I should settle for a really good vocabulary program and do a few years of Spanish for high school. :roll: Any thoughts?

Alison

Mom2Monkeys

Re: Carrie, a question about foreign languages.

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:07 am

I'm not Carrie :D but just a thought...what about a roots program. Like English From the Roots Up? It covers Latin and Greek roots and would be a great foundation for later deeper study into another language (latin, spanish, whatever), great for english vocab, and without the stress of feeling as if you are getting no where fast. There are also notebooking pages for it here... http://www.theoldschoolhousestore.com/i ... s_id=12263 I saw where Carrie mentioned she is considering optional Latin instruction in one of the later guides. EFRU could lead quite well into that.

Or you could just wait until you get to it in the guide and take a latin vacation!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:14 pm

Alison,
Speaking from experience here...have you considered that the vocab you HAVE learned is good enough for now? I mean, some seasons in my life, doing *something* in the foreign language department is good enough! We will have seasons where we work diligently and learn vocab and maybe even a conjugation and then seasons when we are just maintaining what we've learned. I might buy a DVD in the language we are working toward (like Berenstein Bears :). I tend to stick to the same language but mix it up with different computer games or different CD's. I think Latin is so versatile and regular that you have chosen well. Maybe it's just time for a change in program. Why not shelve the current program and try to do online games for the Spring. You could maybe devise a very simple plan if you want to continue using your same book. For example, we've spread the first 6 chapters of First Start French out over a year so that we know the vocab and a few conjugations well. And, by the way, this is at the advice of a French Teacher (just work hard at memorizing small pieces and finally, the kids will have a desire to pick it up on their own and move forward with vigor). If they don't, then deal with that in High School when they can do it independently. I'm giving you a hug! I've definitely had similar frustrations with languages in the past! It's tough trying to do everything well!...actually, it's probably impossible :)
Amy
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

Alison in KY

Post by Alison in KY » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:29 pm

Well, unfortunately we've only been over about 15 words and that just doesn't feel very successful. I've definitely thought about doing a roots vocab program of some kind, but that's when I just decided to do Latin :) . I'll have to do some searching. I'm thinking it might be a lot of the Latin program I'm using not making sense to me. I'm considering buying Prima Latina and seeing how that goes...who knows, I'll probably change my mind a few times. I have definitely decided to just stop on the Latin program that we have.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:52 pm

Alison,

This past thread may help. Link: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5385

Blessings,
Carrie

Alison in KY

Post by Alison in KY » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:28 am

Have you ever looked at Prima Latina? I was wondering if I should use it first, before trying something like Getting Started With Latin....which does look simple and good.

Thank you,

Alison

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:07 am

I've used Prima Latina, and it's a little bland, but effective with the DVD's. But, it's time consuming...may not lend well to balancing the days school load b/c it must be done daily. We weren't doing HOD then and I didn't really do much more than basics and Latin. We only used about 5-6 units. But if you have a good reader and independent worker, with the DVD's it can be done independently.

My DD's opinion about PL were that is was boring, but after trying a "funner" Latin, it was PL that she learned the most from and she wants to do it again some day. My young ds still goes through playgrounds telling children hello in latin (and uses the right word depending on one or more than one person!). And I didn't' do the lessons with him, only DD. LOL
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling