Off topic question..........loose tooth

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
christyg

Off topic question..........loose tooth

Post by christyg » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi ladies! I have a question for you that is a little off topic. Carrie, please forgive me. :) My daughter is 6 years old and has her first loose tooth. We are not doing the tooth fairy, so I was looking for ideas to still make it fun for her. What's the going rate for a tooth these days? :lol: Also, do you know of any good little books on this topic that we might like?

Thanks so much!
Christy :D

Jennifer

Re: Off topic question..........loose tooth

Post by Jennifer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:45 pm

We do not teach about the tooth fairy either. However, we do let our children put the tooth under their pillow and wake up to see how much money they got. They just know that it is mommy and daddy putting the money there. In my opinion it is just as fun. I think we have always done about a dollar in the past.

frankesense

Post by frankesense » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:19 pm

We don't do the tooth fairy either but we do give our kids $. $1 is the going rate at our house, but the first tooth gets $5!
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:45 am

Wow, I'd love to be a kid in your houses! Our DD gets 50 cents per tooth. The first tooth got $1. We also put the tooth under the pillow, through DD knows it's mom and dad that put the money there.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:52 am

When my first son lost his first tooth I did NOT see it coming. I didn't know it was loose.
He was shocked and a bit scared; we'd never talked about it.
I opened my mouth and these are the words that came out, "Stewart! That is WONDERFUL! Do you know how we celebrate when a tooth comes out!? We go to the store and the person who lost the tooth pics out a flavor of ice cream for us all to share!"

It has been the BEST thing ever here. The kids are all so excited when another one has a lose tooth. It was a bit much in November/December thought... both of my boys each lost two teeth in that span of time. The girls thought it was wonderful though. It's a cool way for them to pick out a new flavor.

HTH

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

HappyMama

Post by HappyMama » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:50 am

Jennifer wrote:We do not teach about the tooth fairy either. However, we do let our children put the tooth under their pillow and wake up to see how much money they got. They just know that it is mommy and daddy putting the money there. In my opinion it is just as fun. I think we have always done about a dollar in the past.
I really like this idea! Even though you don't do the tooth fairy, you could still let her wake up to a little suprise under her pillow. How fun! :)

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:21 am

So far, only my 6 yr old dd has lost any teeth. She knows that it is Mama and Daddy not the tooth fairy who leaver her some $ under her pillow and she still looks forward to it. We have gone to the bank and changed in some dollar bills for the gold Sacagawea dollar coins so we always have some on hand and that is the dollar that goes under the pillow. She thinks it is so fun because it is a gold coin! We thought it would make it just a tiny bit more special than the same dollar bills that they see all the time!
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

threegreatkids

Post by threegreatkids » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:32 am

We do a "tooth fairy" but they all know it is mom and dad. Our rate is $1, but if the "tooth fairy" forgets there is inflation...$1 per day. We used to forget quite often, and one child got $6 !!! :oops: We've had such a steady stream of lost teeth in our home over the past four years, with our dc being quite close in age. Oh, and we've had two cases of teeth needing to be pulled by the dentist with novocaine, so that gave a bonus, too.
Guess this makes us "tooth fairy traditionalists", but with dc not thinking she is any more real than Santa.
Last edited by threegreatkids on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mom of three great kids
7th grade dd, 6th grade dd, 4nd grade ds

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:58 am

Christy,
We don't do the tooth fairy, either, but also wanted to make it fun. We do something similar to another mom who posted above. We celebrate by going and getting a Frosty from Wendy's! That way, everyone celebrates. And like the other mom said, everyone gets so excited and gets to share in the fun! Our kids love it! :-)
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)