LHFHG Singapore math question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
rainbowmama

LHFHG Singapore math question

Post by rainbowmama » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:20 pm

Hello. :D We are planning to use LHFHG next year. This year for math we are doing Singapore Kindergarten Standards Addition, which I really like. We also use the activity book that we ordered from Singapore directly and that has proven to be a nice supplement because Singapore Math moves quite fast! Here is my question: Are the math activities that Carrie includes in the LHFHG guide geared towards Singapore Kindergarten Math or Primary Math or both? Do they tie in to the specific math lesson for the day or are they just fun math activities that will compliment any math program? I am sooooo excited to begin LHFHG. :mrgreen: Thanks!

Tmisek

Re: LHFHG Singapore math question

Post by Tmisek » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:04 pm

The LHFHG guide has activities geared toward the Singapore Earlybird Kindergarten math (2A/2B), but there is an alternate schedule in the Appendix if you will be using Primary Math 1A and 1B. You will need to purchase the texbook as well as the workbooks if you use the schedule in the Appendix.

Another option is to use the activities from the Beyond manual which correspond to Primary Math 1A and 1B. That is what we will be doing next year. My son will be using LHFHG with first grade options for everything but math. And we will work from the Beyond manual for that. :D
Tammy

Mommy of 3 treasures:
dd14
ds12
dd10

:) Enjoyed: LHFHG through MTMM!

rainbowmama

Post by rainbowmama » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:45 pm

Thanks Tammy. That helps alot! I didn't even think of using the Beyond manual. :D

HappyMama

Post by HappyMama » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:58 pm

Tmisek wrote:The LHFHG guide has activities geared toward the Singapore Earlybird Kindergarten math (2A/2B), but there is an alternate schedule in the Appendix if you will be using Primary Math 1A and 1B. You will need to purchase the texbook as well as the workbooks if you use the schedule in the Appendix.

Another option is to use the activities from the Beyond manual which correspond to Primary Math 1A and 1B. That is what we will be doing next year. My son will be using LHFHG with first grade options for everything but math. And we will work from the Beyond manual for that. :D
This is what we're doing this year too... my son is doing LHFHG except that we're doing Singapore 1A/1B using the Beyond manual. It's working out great and I plan on doing the same thing next year (he'll do Beyond, but use the Bigger manual for math). :)

rainbowmama

Post by rainbowmama » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:09 am

Hi Sara. Thanks for your input. HOD moms are priceless because I would have never thought to do that!!! How do you and your son enjoy 1A and 1B? Do you use the teachers guide? I really like Singapore math and my dd5 likes it most of the time. We are having a little difficulty with subtraction right now and some of the pages are difficult to "think" through (for both of us). But for the most part she really graps the concepts ie: "I got it mommie!! I can do it by myself. You can go do your thing." :D

HappyMama

Post by HappyMama » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:48 pm

rainbowmama wrote:Hi Sara. Thanks for your input. HOD moms are priceless because I would have never thought to do that!!! How do you and your son enjoy 1A and 1B? Do you use the teachers guide? I really like Singapore math and my dd5 likes it most of the time. We are having a little difficulty with subtraction right now and some of the pages are difficult to "think" through (for both of us). But for the most part she really graps the concepts ie: "I got it mommie!! I can do it by myself. You can go do your thing." :D
We like Singapore a lot! When you say teachers guide, do you mean the textbook? I'm not using the textbook, just the 1A/1B workbooks and the daily acitivities in the Beyond manual. This is all I feel like I need at this point. :) I agree, some of the addition/subtraction pages were a little difficult and tedious, but we just stuck to the schedule and worked through them. I always have counters on hand for my son to use to help him "think" through the problems. Now we're past the addition/subtraction section and on to shapes and it's a nice change. :)

rainbowmama

Post by rainbowmama » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:24 am

Singapore does have a teacher's guide in addition to the workbook and text book. For Kindergarten Earlybird the activity book usually has short activities that my dd can do mostly independently. I think they help build her confidence. I enjoy math but I'm not gifted in it. :) DD usually picks up fast. There have been a few times (not many) with Earlybird that I wish I had more guidance or ideas when we get stuck. Maybe that is where the activities that Carry plans will help.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:31 pm

I just wanted to clarify that our guides use the Primary Math U.S. Edition, which is different from the Standards Edition that it sounds like you're currently using for Kindergarten. The LHFHG guide uses the Earlybird Kindergarten U.S. version, which is different from the Standards version. So, if you're desiring to use the hands-on plans in the HOD guides, you'll need the Primary Math U.S. Edition to correspond with it. :D

If, however, you desire to use the Standards version, you can certainly continue do that however the math plans in the HOD guides won't be of help to you then. Perhaps you already knew this, but I just wanted to be sure. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

rainbowmama

Post by rainbowmama » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:06 am

Hi Carrie. Thanks for clarifying. :D I've only used the standards version of Singapore Math and so it's all I have experience with. Have you had an opportunity to look at the standards addition and compare the two? If you have, what were your thoughts and reasons for keeping with the US edition? Thanks!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:08 pm

rainbowmama,

This past thread should help answer your question: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=727

Blessings,
Carrie