should we drop math?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
EmmaLismom

should we drop math?

Post by EmmaLismom » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi everyone!

This board has been so helpful to me already so I hope you don't mind one more question.

My daughter is 5.5 and we are just beginning our homeschool journey this year. We are using Horizon's K math, things started out great but I have noticed that she is not "getting" it right now. She can come up with the right answers but has no idea how she did it or what it means. She really can't count past 14 so it seems crazy to me that I am making her add 17 + 2 etc. She also doesn't understand the concept of skip counting so she is just repeating what I am saying. Should we just put it away for now? I just ordered Little Hands to Heaven to add to our Lapbooking through the alphabet (which was our choice of ways to "ease" into schooling). I'm trying to keep things as simple and pleasant for her as possible so she doesn't get discouraged but I also don't want her to think we can just quit when things get hard. I was just diagnosed a few months ago with MS so energy levels on my part are not very high right now so I don't know if it is worth the "fight".

Should we put math away for the rest of the year or should we just keep going because one day it will just click? She is starting to really stall when it comes to her math papers lately.

Dawn

Daisy

Re: should we drop math?

Post by Daisy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:59 pm

How about thinking a little outside the box in regards to math. Set aside the curriculum for a while and pick up

MathStart books at the library (picture books that teach math concepts in a fun living book type way)
Family Math by Stenmark has tons of great math game ideas in it.
M&M math, Cheerio Math

Play math war with a deck of cards.
Roll two dice and let her add them up or subtract them.
Play games with a 100 Chart.

Make rice krispy treats and have her count out the marshmellows by twos and then in groups of ten, etc.

I'd just concentrate on cementing those basic skills. Here's a helpful website...

http://www.livingmath.net/
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:01 am

If you want to stay with a workbook approach I would recommend the Singapore K set that HOD sells.

Blessings!!!
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

EmmaLismom

Post by EmmaLismom » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Thanks, I think it would be wise to let that program go for now. I think I will just stop at Walmart and see what kind of workbook they have for the 4 year old set to keep her working on something until I get things figured out. I don't want her to be frustrated so early on in her school career. I'd much rather drop down a level or 2 and let her get it than just do it because we paid for it. Money is tight but she is wayyyy more important!!!!

In Christ,
Dawn

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:12 am

In LHFHG, the math is linked to awesome hands-on activities HOD's written. I'd definitely do that when you begin LHFHG. It is outstanding, and it totally fits the needs you've outlined... helping dc think about the "why" of math rather than just the "how". :D I can't remember if you are doing LHTH now or not, but if so, there are nice general math concepts in there as well, so you don't have to feel like math is dropped if you're doing that. :D HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

EmmaLismom

Post by EmmaLismom » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:28 am

Thanks Julie, I just ordered LHTH on Wednesday so we will start it when it arrives. I'm getting very excited and knowing that I won't be stressing her out over math should help both of us!!

Blessings,
Dawn