Anyone use "A reason for Reading" books for beginning reader

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
countrymom

Anyone use "A reason for Reading" books for beginning reader

Post by countrymom » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:44 am

I have tried the search, but no matter what I type in I get 1,186 responses :shock: So, has anyone used the "A Reason for Reading" beginning books? I plan to start "The Reading Lesson" if it ever comes (no, we did not order from HOD, it was an thought after we had already ordered). My son understands how to sound out words and can work on his own in Explode the Code book 2, but he struggles when applying it to actually reading a book. I plan to start in TRL where it will be quite easy for him and just work our way through the whole book, but I am looking for something else too (and maybe I shouldn't be). A friend of mine explained the "whole language" philosophy behind the "A Reason for Reading" program, which makes sense, but I tend to lean towards the phonics approach. I do however, like balance, and am wondering if it would be worth the money. Any thoughts? BTW, my son is 4 1/2 so on the younger side of things.

Edited to add we are brand new to HOD, but I have been flailing around with phonics and reading for awhile with our son, as he learned his letters and sound very early on. We were fine until he had the lightbulb moment on how to sound out words, now we struggle with moving that forward (and I am not pushing hard because of his age).
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

my3sons

Re: Anyone use "A reason for Reading" books for beginning reader

Post by my3sons » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:47 pm

Personally, I'm with you on the whole phonics approach. I had several years of the whole language approach (which means different things to different people, or course), but in the ps I taught in, whole language was dropped and phonics added back in after a handful of years and the results of many dc struggling with reading and only knowing sight words. So, I'd encourage you to make your emphasis of instruction The Reading Lesson, possibly add in some BOB books when ds is ready, and move slowly through ETC workbook part only. However, there are many roads to reading well, so should you choose a different path - totally understandable! :D Good luck in deciding!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie