State Requirement -- social studies

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
FiveLittlePeaches

State Requirement -- social studies

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:35 pm

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone could help me figure this out. I was looking at the paperwork I need to turn into the state, and on the form it lists social studies as a required subject, but not history. Does the History portion of HOD cover the social studies aspect, or do I need to find a separate social studies program? Are they considered the same thing?

I homeschool in Wisconsin if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance,

Joy
Finished LHFHG, looking forward to Beyond

WigglesMom

Re: State Requirement -- social studies

Post by WigglesMom » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:43 pm

This link has a great answer to the question of what is the difference between social studies and history...
http://www.thehomescholar.com/blog/hist ... dies/1341/
Val

FiveLittlePeaches

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:50 pm

Thank you for your quick response, and for the link!

Whew, one less think to worry about. :D :D :D

Joy

mamaduke

Re: State Requirement -- social studies (& health)

Post by mamaduke » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:51 am

I'm amazed that I found the exact topic I searched for! :D :D but I didn't find my question answered. I too am in WI (HI JOY!) and have noticed on the state form that history is not included but social studies is. I read the link provided and while it did provide an overall comparison of the two categories for college requirements, I still wonder how I am meeting this requirement for my 1st grader with LHFHG.

I don't see things like economics and government being studied at the lower grades (for obvious reasons). So what do they expect us to be teaching about how people live currently (as opposed to historically)? I know HOD is designed to be complete, so .......... how do I answer my conscience to this agreement to the state to teach social studies at this level, as well as health. (Do I record normal household procedures in hygiene and nutrition as school hours?) Does HOD teach health and social studies at some point?

Anyway, I saw there where other topics included in my social studies search, so maybe I'll peruse those.

Thanks so much for this board and a place to ask such questions.

I'm very happy with HOD. :P :P :P :P
Julie
9yo ds completed Little Hands, Little Hearts, Beyond, and currently in Bigger
6yo twin girls completed Little Hands, currently in Little Hearts
4yo ds alongside
1 yo darling dd, stuffing crayons in her onesie
#6 due in April!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:24 pm

Hi Julie! According to the 11th. edition of Social Studies in Elementary Education book by Walter Parker, these are the over-reaching goals of "social studies":
*a focus on using technology to teach social studies
*expanded focus of using integrated thematic teaching
*coverage of voting and citizenship
*continued emphasis on teaching a diverse society

We're doing CTC and have done the previous HOD guides, so I can say confidently that all of these goals are met with HOD. :D Many technology forms are used to teach social studies (research on the Internet and audio CD's to name a few). As far as the thematic teaching, the entire left side Learning through History part of the plans for each guide embodies integrated thematic teaching - which we love! :D As far as voting and citizenship, the American history done in HOD has made my dc very aware of this and proud Americans as well. :wink: Studying American history from both an events focus and a biographical focus over 2 years sure does deepen our love for America and our understanding of why the voting process is the way it is, and what it means to be an excellent citizen. Last, emphasis for teaching a diverse society - the way history is studied in HOD is so living and includes such diverse people. I am amazed at how much empathy and compassion my oldest ds has for our diverse society - past and present - and it is definitely due to the way we have studied history in HOD. I agree with the other link, social studies and history are interchangeable terms. In ps teaching, we referred to the subject as Social Studies, but in homeschooling, the subject is almost unanimously referred to as history. They are one and the same overall. It will put your heart at ease to to look at the first week of plans for each guide, especially noting what is covered on the left side Learning Through History plans - it will impress you, I'm sure!!! :) So much more is there than what I taught in ps for 7 years. Our kiddos are really receiving such an in-depth education. HTH! :D

Oh, and for personal hygiene, I remember we talked to dc about the following things in ps third grade: washing face and hands, combing hair, brushing teeth, how germs are spread (i.e. cover your mouth when you sneeze), beginning to wear deoderant, etc. All of this is covered in HOD over the years. In CTC, human anatomy/body systems is covered very thoroughly. As far as physical education, large gross motor skills and some basic calisthenics are part of the plans in HOD's younger guides. As far as physical activity, we just have outdoor recess where the dc need to be actively playing each day, or we do an exercise video if there is inclement weather. We may enjoy joining an exercise facility when my dc are teenagers, but for now, this is more than enough. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

mamaduke

Post by mamaduke » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:27 pm

Julie, Thank you so much for taking the time to respond so thoroughly to how HOD meets the social studies and health requirements. I'm impressed and encouraged! :D
Julie
9yo ds completed Little Hands, Little Hearts, Beyond, and currently in Bigger
6yo twin girls completed Little Hands, currently in Little Hearts
4yo ds alongside
1 yo darling dd, stuffing crayons in her onesie
#6 due in April!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:41 pm

Julie,

I am also thankful for this detailed response! :D