Preparing using both History packs

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
water2wine

Preparing using both History packs

Post by water2wine » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:58 pm

Just have a question for those of you that used the Independent History that is written into the program and the extension pack for older kids. I am looking through and it is going to be perfect for us becasue the one using the lower level one that is written into the program needs more time with her books and the other two can easily share. But I see some activities and things that my older kids are going to want to do because well they just look fun. The upper level has them doing a written narration or your choice of some narration in different ways. Did you have them do whatever they wanted from the lower level as well or did you just maybe have them draw pictures or embellish things as they did the extension pack and create your own fun so they would not feel left out. My kids are give it all to me type kids. I can see they need to do the Draw and Write Through History because that will be a must but anyone else do anything else as a sort of ritual or activity with the upper level extension pack beyond the narration just for fun? I am only asking because my kids complain when the younger kids get to do something fun in their program that they never got to do becasue they missed that year of HOD. :D They are I want it all kind of kids. They will not be bratty about it but just do not want to steal their joy type thing. :wink: Anyone else do anything extra when they had two kids using both history packs for the older kids?

Thanks! :D
Last edited by water2wine on Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Benelli

Re: Preparing using both History packs

Post by Benelli » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:39 pm

I'm glad you asked this, because my oldest is going to feel sad when she has to miss out on the Draw Through History that her younger brother gets to do as well. No answers for you, but I am in the same boat! :|
Lisa, Mama to 7 -

PHFHG with Ben (9) and Ellie (11) with extensions
BLHFHG half-speed with Sophie (8) and Anthony (7) with Emerging Readers and Draw*Write*Now
LHFHG with Thomas (7) and Nicholas (5) with Emerging Readers
and Lily Jane (2) tagging along

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:09 pm

I am thinking letting them do Drawing through History is a must. 8) That is easy to just let them do. I am trying to kind of look at it. I am thinking there are a few of the books they just might want to read for fun and if they want to do the activities they can. I just can't have the two that are ahead holding up the one who reads slowly. So I think I have an idea. I have started this wonderful thing in my house called evening quite time. It is a time when everything gets turned off and all we do is read or you can draw or quietly play a game (the exception is me this is not my time to play games with them becasue I need the quiet time to myself is the whole idea :lol: ). My dh works late so we start at 8:00 and do it until he comes home around 9:30 or 10:00. This is brand new for us but it is a blessing. I get to read my Bible or a book and they get to have some quiet time of their choice so long as it brings me sanity. :lol: We all stay in the same room so things stay quiet. This can be the time I guess for the other kids to read if they want any books that are not part of their program or do activities that do not require me from their program. I have the luxury of having both sets so I might as well just do that. Just was getting stuck on the how do I not hold up the one that is a slow reader or have them fighting about it during school. I think I will just let them do Drawing Through History during school though because that one looks easy to share. Anyway that is what I am thinking now. :lol:

Another thought I had is when the scheduled independent history had them draw a picture or a copy a verse they could do the same but have them try to come up with something that matches what they are reading from the extension pack. :idea: That kind of puts nothing more on me and allows them some freedom and independence. But if anyone has a BTDT or even a better suggestion I would still love to hear it.

I am huge about not letting them do parts of a program that is not their own so that remains special to the child doing it and builds anticipation, but this is within the same program so it is kind of different since it is their program just a different part. On a side note it is good to have kids that actually feel left out if they do not get to do all of school that everyone gets to do. That is a blessing! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13

brenm37

Post by brenm37 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:18 pm

We are in Unit 6 of Preparing and I have a 10 year old and an 8 year old using this. The guide as written is plenty of work for the 8 year old, but not enough for the 10 year old. So, the 10 year old does ALL the guide as written, PLUS reads the extension material and we talk about it a little. I have not been requiring any written narrations yet, but plan to add these, as that is a new skill for us. We are working up to it by just doing the written narrations so far in the guide (once a week). This is our first year of HOD and I am very happy with the program and how things are laid out and how things are varied each week. My two really, really enjoy the independent work. I am really looking forward to CTC next year! I am pre-reading (and pre-listening) to all the books this year, as I don't want to miss any of it either. :D
Brenda

DHT1999

Post by DHT1999 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:07 pm

My 5th grader is using both sets of history books. He does the ones that are scheduled in the box in the TM and whatever else is assigned in that box. He is also reading the Extension Package books. For those, he only does oral narrations. I've kept it minimal on those... he just reads and then has to tell me in a few sentences what he has read about. He doesn't have siblings in Preparing, so he isn't stealing any thunder from them :D . He loves to read, so it's not too much. If I required written work on the Extension Books, he would have a heart attack. That would definately be too much for him.
2011-2012: Creation to Christ & Bigger Hearts

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children." - Psalm 113:9

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:03 pm

I am just reading the instructions in the actual manual :oops: which I had really but then just came up with a new question in my head. :roll: Carrie has them with the option of doing written narration and drawing pictures already for the upper extension. I think I will go for that and let them do Draw and Write Through History and then if they want to read any of the other books they can do that as free reading. Really want to get to that written narration skill for my two that are capable of it. I think that will be plenty. I know there are a few books in that lower history pack though that they are really going to want to read. That gives them something to do during our quiet time.

I don't know why I am over thinking this year. I know when I start it that everything is going to flow just like it did last year. It always does. :D

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:06 pm

water2wine,

It sounds like you have a good plan forming! My older sons are such avid readers too that they do read each other's books. We do try to keep some just for the oldest child to read that are more mature in content and language. However, when we were testing Preparing Hearts, my oldest son still enjoyed reading the Deluxe Package books in his free-time even though they were far beneath his reading level. He just loves to read! :wink:

I agree that the follow-up for the extensions can have any combination of oral narration, written narration, or notebooking that each family deems most suitable for their kiddos. This will vary from family to family and is the reason we left the follow-up to the extension pack more flexible. :D

Many families do the Draw and Write even with their extension pack kiddos too! I know my oldest son didn't want to miss it. 8)

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:50 pm

Thank you Carrie. I appreciate you helping get my thinking clear. :D We are really excited about this year. Just getting our life in gear before we get started. But I think my heart just want to get into it so much that I keep on looking at things. Then I realize of course it all there and I just need to stop looking and start doing. :lol: I know it is going to be a great year for us! :D