A Child's Geography

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
billswife

A Child's Geography

Post by billswife » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:32 pm

I am using Preparing with my oldest and Beyond with my 7 year old. I'm thinking of adding "A Child's Geography" by Ann Voskamp. Is it possible this would be used in a later guide? I noticed that CTC is using "Explore the Holy Land" (which I am very excited about). Has anyone else added it in?
Ann

DS 17 New American History
DD 13 Rev to Rev
DD 11 CTC

water2wine

Re: A Child's Geography

Post by water2wine » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:47 pm

We used it with Bigger. There is so much there if she puts it in a guide we will use that chance as a refresher course. We really enjoyed it. There is really a lot of information there so two times would be fine with me. I guess I would just go lighter if she uses it but a refresher would be good and I know my kids would go for it. They loved it. It's the danger of HOD she writes all the good stuff in to the program and you just never know if she will hit something on your shelf. So far she is helping me get done much of the great stuff I have found but not implemented. :lol:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Polly

Post by Polly » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:10 pm

We are using it with Preparing this year. I've been making Friday's geography day. I do a ACG lesson over 2 Friday's. I'm also adding in there a missionary focus, using Windows on the World, Heaven's Hero's, etc. So far so good. I really like the idea of doing geography drills during the week but I've yet to incorporate it. Charlotte Mason did that, as I understand it.
Polly

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Ladies, here is an e-mail I sent to Carrier earlier asking her this exact question and her response. Hopefully by posting it I will save her the time of re-writing it. :)

Hi Carrie,

We are absolutely loving Bigger and Little Hands so far this year! My boys (and I) are settling in and thriving. Everything just feels right. I was looking ahead and noticed that you use Child's Geography of the Holy Land in CTC. I am so excited to use that resource in a couple years. What I was wondering is do you plan on incorporating Vol. I into any guides? I have it and want to start using it, but will wait if I'm supposed to use it later on in other guides.

Thank you so much!

In Christ,
Heather

Heather,

I'm so glad that you're getting a chance to use and enjoy Bigger Hearts and Little Hands this year. As far as A Child's Geography Vol. I goes, we are still weighing whether or not to include it in a future guide. So, I can't honestly tell you yet whether it will be included.

I'm sorry I can't give you a more firm answer. Often the resources we plan to use within our guides and those we ultimately end up with change quite a bit as a guide is written. We pray often and much over the resources and leave the rest in God's hands!

Enjoy your year!

Blessings,
Carrie Austin
www.heartofdakota.com