Next level after CtC

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Polly

Next level after CtC

Post by Polly » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:00 pm

I just keep marveling at the wonderful book selections. Carrie, can you give us a preview (even just a couple of them) of some of the books used in the next level?

Thank you for selecting such wonderful literature to share with our children.
Polly

Cynthia828

Re: Next level after CtC

Post by Cynthia828 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:03 am

I would love to know this too!

I noticed that there are plans for the next book. Does that mean that it will be ready in time for us next year, since I am using CTC this year?

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:15 am

Cynthia828 wrote:I would love to know this too!

I noticed that there are plans for the next book. Does that mean that it will be ready in time for us next year, since I am using CTC this year?
Yes! :D I'll be using it as well, so that gives me such a peace to know. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:19 am

Polly,

I'm so glad that you are getting a chance to enjoy the literature found within our guides! My boys love the books too, and I must confess that I thoroughly enjoy sifting through books to find the "best" ones. :D

At this point, we have not completely pinned down the storytime selections or the extension pack for our newest guide which will pick up with the time period after the resurrection of Christ and go forward to the time of Columbus and the early stages of Jamestown. We are very close to having these in place, but are still working to find a few key books which can then affect the other selections. :wink:

We are, however, fairly certain of our spines for the history portion of the program, so I will share those (but bear in mind that there may be some tweaking among the resources as we utilize them this year with my oldest son). :wink:

For our history spines for the new guide we are currently planning on the following books:

The Discovery of New Worlds by M.B. Synge
http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com/previ ... review.pdf
Description on this page: http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com/catal ... alog=world

The Middle Ages: Streams of History by Ellwood Kemp http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com/previ ... review.pdf

Monks and Mystics: Volume 2 by Mindy and Brandon Withrow
http://www.historylivesseries.com/?page_id=5

The Mystery of History Volume III (Reader only) by Linda Lacour Hobar
http://www.themysteryofhistory.com/volumeIII.shtml

I cannot tell you how excited we are about this combination of resources. We are overjoyed with the combination of the first 3 books for the period from the resurrection up to the renaissance. Then, with MOH III coming out as a full-color student reader (separate from its companion volume), we fell in love with the design, content, and layout of this fascinating book. It is Linda's best work to date, and she has truly outdone herself with this one! :D

These 4 resources will provide a Christ-centered narrative view of this important period in history, and we know the Lord led us to these book choices, two of which were just released (or brought back in print) in 2008 and the other two released (or brought back in print) in 2005 and 2006. We are grateful to be writing and planning at a time when the Lord has brought forth such excellent material. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

jewel7123

Post by jewel7123 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:37 am

Wow, thanks for the preview Carrie! Any idea what the science selections might be?
Jennifer in TX

Polly

Post by Polly » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:06 am

Carrie,

I just got chills reading through your selections! What I love about HOD is you seem to pick what I would pick myself (along with wonderful others) and put it all together for me! Many of the books in CTC are ones I have on my shelf already. I love MOH and am excited to be able to use it in conjunction with your wonderful guides! Thank you so much!!! All your hard work is very much appreciated in my home!
Polly

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:25 am

I just want to say a great big thank you!!! to you and your family. I love that you are so choosy and careful with what selections you offer and put together. I feel completely at peace knowing that I can trust your judgement. And, I am also thankful for the sacrifices your family must make in order for you to put such a wonderful, thoughtful program together.
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:42 pm

Thanks so much, ladies! :D We're excited too! :wink:

We're still pondering the earth science options for the next guide but are looking in some interesting directions there as well.

Blessings,
Carrie

DHT1999

Post by DHT1999 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:24 pm

WOW!! What wonderful selections! I have always wanted to incorporate Synge's book into our homeschool! All of the titles look great. I'm so excited!

Thank you, Carrie. I am blessed beyond measure to know that I can just sit back and enjoy homeschooling and not worry about anything. I know whatever you put together is doing to be fantastic!
2011-2012: Creation to Christ & Bigger Hearts

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children." - Psalm 113:9

threegreatkids

Post by threegreatkids » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:23 pm

I'm sad, so very sad :cry:

If CtC and RtR are mainly independent, then how am I going to read all these fabulous books? Aren't you considering the educational needs of homeschooling parents?

Just kidding :lol: Guess I'll have to stay up late reading at night to keep up.
Mom of three great kids
7th grade dd, 6th grade dd, 4nd grade ds

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:37 pm

I know! My hubby says he's jealous of our kiddos' education. It's the one he always wanted to have! :wink:

Seriously though, there will still be some wonderful things for the parent to lead in RTR, without it being overwhelming. :wink: We're looking at having the Storytime in RTR be a choice for the parent to read-aloud or for the 5th-6th grade student to read on his/her own. In this way, parents who have kiddos in other guides, will be able to choose one of the storytimes to do with all kiddos (if desired), yet their students will still have a chance to read the wonderful books that are scheduled as possible read-alouds in RTR.

I also visited with Linda Hobar about an upcoming audio for MOH III, which she will eventually complete. However, it will take time. So that will eventually be one other potential avenue for parents to listen to their kiddos books (if desired) and will also be a possibility for kiddos who would rather listen along than read MOH III on their own. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:09 pm

threegreatkids wrote:I'm sad, so very sad :cry:

If CtC and RtR are mainly independent, then how am I going to read all these fabulous books? Aren't you considering the educational needs of homeschooling parents?

Just kidding :lol: Guess I'll have to stay up late reading at night to keep up.
Hahahaha! I am feeling your pain too.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)