Bigger extension advice for my 6th grader

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gracelikerain

Bigger extension advice for my 6th grader

Post by gracelikerain » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:21 pm

Hi, Carrie I would love your input if you get the chance!
I will be doing Bigger with my dd who is (will be 12) in 6th grade this year. She is an avid reader but needs help in writing & takes awhile to grasp math concepts. We will be really focusing on catching up in math (she still cannot handle long division as well as other things) & writing. All that to ask about the science extensions in Bigger. Do I need to add another program for her or do you feel the extensions will be sufficient? I was going to buy Apologia Botany but I don't want to overwhelm her.....school is not her strong point. Also, do you think I should buy another history spine to go along with the one already scheduled? I was going to get The Story of the Great Republic but if It will be too much I would rather have her focus on what is scheduled & absorb that. I hope I am making sense! With HOD school enjoyment really exploded with her & I am so pleased. I really need to help her work on the basics though & I don't want to burn her out. Any advice from you wonderful moms, I would love to hear it!!

Thanks & God Bless!
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

Tree House Academy

Re: Bigger extension advice for my 6th grader

Post by Tree House Academy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:17 pm

I am not Carrie, but for a child who struggles with the basics, I would definitely NOT overwhelm her with the extras. Like you said, focus on the basics this year and do Bigger with Extensions. I am doing this with my 5th grader and he also struggles with English/Writing. Carrie gave me some wonderful advice on how to use Bigger's dictation and assignments to help my son become a better writer. You can view her response here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4624

As for needing more History and Science, the extensions are created for 5th and 6th graders and they definitely live up to that, IMO.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:50 pm

Rebecca, :D
Thank you for your reply. I tend to get worried that we are not doing enough. Unfortunately, I sometimes read other posts about all the stuff they are having their kids do & I think to myself....wow, I don't do that. My dd is difficult at times to teach b/c she would rather be playing or reading. She will be 12 early Oct. & I worry that she needs more. She does very well on her NY state tests but to me that doesn't say much. I don't know, I just want her to be her best but she has to want it too. I know some kids are just more academic minded. HOD has helped her like school much more. I am thankful for that. I really cannot see pushing her with extra science & history when her basics really need attention. Your response has helped me realize that it is ok to do what my gut says.

Thanks again! :)
Georgette~
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
ds-5 months

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:46 am

Georgette I agree with just staying with the program as written. I do not add anything extra for my child that struggles except to focus more on the basics. I am guilty of being one of those moms that may have posted adding extra. I have a child that was outside of the age limit really of the HOD program and I have a tendency to throw extra things in as I get inspired. :roll: It is here and there and I am almost never consistent on it except for a few things. But It is all within the knowing that HOD is enough and I can focus and that and add as I feel directed. The problem is when we look at people on posts and get to know them that way it is easy to see the good and simultaneously focus on what we see in ourselves as short comings. We don't talk about the things we blow so much or the things that we missed on that are far worse than history or science. I fall into that comparison trap myself. One thing that I have to pray often because I have a child that struggles and an ego myself that struggles with "enough" is to pray Lord show me how and what you really want me to use and let me have peace in that and please remove from my plans what are not your plans. Not perfect on that but it helps a lot to pray that. :D

I think your plan sounds great. Forget about the grade number and focus on what your child needs knowing that HOD as written is more than enough and allows you the freedom to focus on what you really need to while catching all the other stuff as well. :D I have a whole pile of stuff that all looked good that was thrown after what we used before HOD in search of enough. And it was never enough in fact it was always too much and much of it sits unused. So speaking from my own failure in this area. :roll: You are doing great and it is perfectly enough. :D
Last edited by water2wine on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:31 am

Water2wine, :)
Thanks for the encouragement. I hate the comparison trap. That is a good prayer you suggested. :D I am afraid sometimes to talk about my dc & the lack of academic prowess or difficulties they may be having. I know God has plans for each of our dc & they are ALL vastly different! I think it is so important to share our struggles so we can bless each other & find comfort knowing we are not alone & also to see how wonderful the Lord works in our lives. I am glad I finally opened up & shared a bit. It only took me all summer. :shock:

God Bless!!
Georgette~
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
ds-5 months

creekmama

Post by creekmama » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:22 am

Georgette I agree with just staying with the program as written. I do not add anything extra for my child that struggles except to focus more on the basics. I am guilty of being one of those moms that may have posted adding extra. I have a child that was outside of the age limit really of the HOD program and I have a tendency to throw extra things in as I get inspired. :roll: It is here and there and I am almost never consistent on it except for a few things. But It is all withing the knowing that HOD is enough and I can focus and that and add as I feel directed. The problem is when we look at people on posts and get to know them that way it is easy to see the good and simultaneously focus on what we see in ourselves as short comings. We don't talk about the things we blow so much or the things that we missed on that are far worse than history or science. I fall into that comparison trap myself. One thing that I have to pray often because I have a child that struggles and an ego myself that struggles with "enough" is to pray Lord show me how and what you really want me to use and let me have peace in that and please remove from my plans what are not your plans. Not perfect on that but it helps a lot to pray that. :D

I think your plan sounds great. Forget about the grade number and focus on what your child needs knowing that HOD as written is more than enough and allows you the freedom to focus on what you really need to while catching all the other stuff as well. :D I have a whole pile of stuff that all looked good that was thrown after what we used before HOD in search of enough. And it was never enough in fact it was always too much and much of it sits unused. So speaking from my own failure in this area. :roll: You are doing great and it is perfectly enough. :D
Kelley
Peter (12, Res to Ref)
Betsy (9, Preparing)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:30 am

Georgette,

I completely agree with the ladies wise advice! :D The extensions in Bigger Hearts will be enough in both science and history for your daughter, especially as your focus is where it needs to be this year (on the 3R's), which is so wise!

Don't worry about adding anything to Bigger and enjoy it as it is. There is much meat to Bigger Hearts and rushing through it by adding to it, may make you miss the gems that are found within having time to deeply enjoy what is woven within the progam itself. :D

Enjoy!

Blessings,
Carrie

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:31 pm

Carrie, :)

Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate the time & care you put into your users of this WONDERFUL curriculum.

Blessings, :D
Georgette~
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
ds-5 months

Teena6

Post by Teena6 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:48 am

Such great advice from the Ladies here... I was also encouraged. We started HOD last year...in October. We didn't finish our HOD so this past week we just picked back up. I too, have a 6th grader doing Bigger w/ extensions. She loves it... We have home schooled for 19yrs but the Lord sent me HOD at just the right time! My two youngest boys are 17months apart and I was overwhelmed not knowing what to do with them. God is so faithful...his timing is perfect!
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL
using BHFHG & MTMM (in the fall 2012)