Question about pencil grip............

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sharonb

Re: Question about pencil grip............

Post by sharonb » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:26 pm

My 6 year old wraps his thumb around over his fingers, so I got him the Crossover pencil grips. I really should have done something sooner, because his handwriting is not very good! The grips force him to hold his pencil correctly, plus I keep reminding him to take his time and try to write as neatly as he can. I am already seeing some improvement, and it's only been about a week. :D

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:27 pm

By the way Christy- the golf pencils are those short pencils they give you on golf courses to keep score. Or like the short pencils in the pew at church.

Geo

Post by Geo » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:38 am

We use "The Pencil Grip"
http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Pencil-Grip-Pen ... 286.c0.m14

If you find yourself nagging, these are the cure. Can't help but hold the pencil correctly.
Geo
married forever to one man
hsing for 22 years:
6 children:
Eric (34) (not a typo)
Ian (26) leader
Lauren (24) steel magnolia
Sally (17), senior in phs
Zoe (10), administrator
Oskar (7), dead ringer for Thomas Edison

Geo

Post by Geo » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:42 am

Tansy wrote:my dd holds her pencil all wrong.. and a lefty to boot.
One reason is her grip is not strong. We are using techniques to strengthen her hand like resistance to her fingers as she presses out. I can already see a shift in her grip as her hand becomes stronger. she also says its not as uncomfortable to hold now.
Montessori schools have youngsters work those little muscles by squeezing big, wet ,squishy sponges over buckets of water, Fun!
Geo
married forever to one man
hsing for 22 years:
6 children:
Eric (34) (not a typo)
Ian (26) leader
Lauren (24) steel magnolia
Sally (17), senior in phs
Zoe (10), administrator
Oskar (7), dead ringer for Thomas Edison

christyg

Post by christyg » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:04 am

Ok, can you tell I'm not a golf person? :lol: I know exactly which ones you are talking about. Thanks for all of the tips! Have a good day!

Christy :)