Testing and HOD....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LeAnna

Testing and HOD....

Post by LeAnna » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:26 am

It seems to me there was a discussion about this one time or another, but I can't put my finger on it... I am wondering when testing generally starts, and what your feeling is of it. Is is necessary? My oldest is just in 1st grade, but I have some persistent family members who think it is very important. I on the other hand, don't know that it is... at least in the early grades. But, I am wondering if I really need it, since I know that they are learning, right? And, how does that work for some of testing in the area of phonics, etc. because my kids just learned to read, using The Reading Lesson... didn't learn concepts such as "long vowels", "short vowels", etc. Know what I mean? Also, history is going to be different too. As, in public schools, it is more social study type learning, rather than history, right? Anyway, help?!?! :?

LeAnna
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

happy@home

Re: Testing and HOD....

Post by happy@home » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:42 am

I asked about testing some time ago and forgive me I don't know how to link anything, but I can copy and paste! :lol:

This was Carrie's response to my question if I should test if not required by my state:

As far as testing goes, we've found that standardized tests given prior to grade 2 aren't really all that helpful in giving much useful information. The tests are pretty time-consuming to give and really test a child's listening comprehension more than anything, because they are assuming the children aren't able to read the test questions yet (so the parent gives all questions orally).

Once you get to grade 2, it is helpful to give a standardized test every few years, just to have your kiddo have the practice/experience. It helps prepare the children for future test-taking and also gives them another reason for their learning throughout the year. It has the added bonus of showing any weak areas and sometimes gives a little push to be more consistent in any areas that may need it.

You can be approved to be a test adminstrator for the Iowa Basics Skills Test or the SAT's through Bob Jones University, if you have a college degree in any area. If that doesn't fit you, you can easily give a different standardized test through any of the many umbrella schools. There's quite a few moms on the board who can chime in and give you information on that.

Blessings,
Carrie

Hope this helps a little, I am sure other more seasoned moms will reply!!
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG
We have completed: LHFHG & BLHFHG

"For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me and guide me."

zookeeperof3monkeys

Post by zookeeperof3monkeys » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:12 pm

In my state (NC), we only have to test for Language Arts and Math. I only test at all because my state requires it after age 7. I think when you are with your kids all day you know if they are "getting it" or not. As to well meaning friends and family, you could make up a report card every term for your children to show off. I personally, would not test before my test requires it. It stresses out my son( testing),it stresses me out trying to keep the 2 yr old quiet during testing. We use CAT-5 test because I can administer it.If you want to do a pre-test to see how your child is doing, you can purchase the Spectrum Test prep, I believe it's about $9. I hope that helped you some!
Kim
Greensboro, NC
ds 10 Beyond
ds 2 LHTH

kiloyd

Post by kiloyd » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:02 pm

I did the Woodcock-Johnson test for ds at the end of 1st grade, mostly b/c dh wanted him tested. that was when we were in NC. Now we are in NH and I did the CAT test myself this year at the end of 2nd grade. It was very easy! I was so nervous. DS loved it!
Katherine
ds 9, Preparing
dd just turned 6, LHFHG
dd 3
and 15 mo old 3 days a week

LeAnna

Post by LeAnna » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:31 pm

California doesn't require it, but I was just kind of wondering how many do and for what reasons.:) Where do I get the Cat-5 test?

Thanks,
LeAnna :D
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

zookeeperof3monkeys

Post by zookeeperof3monkeys » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:40 pm

You can buy the CAT-5 test ( full battery) from Christian Liberty Press or Seton Books ( short version)
Kim
Greensboro, NC
ds 10 Beyond
ds 2 LHTH

sewpeaceful

Post by sewpeaceful » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:52 am

I agree that tests, in general, aren't that necessary from a teaching standpoint as homeschoolers. HOWEVER, given the anxiety that comes with tests in general, I also believe that occassional tests (weekly or otherwise) in areas like math, spelling, even grammar (like R&S review pages or test booklet) are good, not because it tells you what the child learned, but gives them practice and gets them comfortable with taking tests. I would hate for my child to go into standarized testing never having seen a test before - how stressful! I think small tests along the way sends the message that tests are not a big deal or something worth worrying over. That is just my two cents.