Common Place Book--favorite styles?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MommyInTraining

Common Place Book--favorite styles?

Post by MommyInTraining » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:50 am

In reading the introduction to Preparing I saw it mention the need for a Common Place Book. A bound composition notebook was suggested. Does anyone have any other form of notebook that they use and like?

I also noticed that there were several areas that needed either a spiral notebook or a bound composition notebook. Do you prefer one over the other, and, if so, why?

Thanks!

Terri
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

Jen in Va

Re: Common Place Book--favorite styles?

Post by Jen in Va » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:57 am

I have a common place book of my own--quotes from books, sermons, etc. from as far back as 1985 or even earlier. I have a Moleskine http://www.moleskines.com/?gclid=CPip_e ... agod-VnI_A book for mine, but I've also seen a nice leatherbound journal type book at Walmart that would work equally well. It is very similar in shape and size to the Moleskine and comes in a black or rich brown leather--runs around $8-9, I think, half of the Moleskine books. Pricey, but I view a commonplace book as something one would want to keep. We haven't gotten to Preparing yet, and I'm not sure how Carrie uses them in the guide, but I'd want it to be something that would hold up well and be nice enough to keep.
Jen
Hsing mom of 3:
DS (20) college, home educated k-12
DD (17) 12th grade (2009-10), home educated
DS (6) Beyond (2009-10, have already started--loving it, btw!)

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:06 am

In CTC, it is mentioned also. I wonder if this is just for Bible verses?

My daughter really doesn't like writing in bound journals (especially if she is doing cursive). She prefers spiral bound because they lay flat.

She really wants to write her Bible verses in CTC on index cards and put them on a ring. I'm not having a big problem with it BUT if the Common Place book is used for other copywork then we should rethink it.
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:33 am

We bought a special Common Place Book for my ds last year when doing PHFHG, and he'll be able to fill the next half of it this year for CTC. We got the Journal of Creation for my all boy ds. Here's a link to it:
http://www.nlpg.com/store/advanced_sear ... al&x=0&y=0

He loved writing in it and felt very "grown-up" to have this special book. Here is a description I copied from the PHFHG introduction for those of you reading this and not knowing what a Common Place Book is used for in HOD:

Students also need a Common Place Book for their copywork. A
Common Place Book is often a bound composition book with lined pages. It
provides a common place to copy anything that is timeless, memorable, or
worthy of rereading. It is for copying text and not for original writing. Bible
verses, classic poetry, and passages from excellent literature with beautiful or
vivid wording are often included. Students will add to the Common Place
Book throughout the year.

We used composition books from Walmart for the rest of his subjects that required notebooks. We'd used wide-lined spiral notebooks before, and he thought it was pretty neat to use composition books instead. We'll do those again this year with CTC. Have fun picking out your CPB and notebooks! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:06 pm

Jen in Va wrote:but I've also seen a nice leatherbound journal type book at Walmart that would work equally well. It is very similar in shape and size to the Moleskine and comes in a black or rich brown leather--runs around $8-9

Jen,

Could you please tell me what section of Walmart you found these in?

Thanks!

Terri
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:29 pm

Terri,

My Wal-Mart doesn't have anything that would work for a Common Place book. So, maybe Jen's WM is better stocked than ours. :wink: I do happen to live in a very rural area though. Very rural. :lol:

Just last night we were out of town, and went to Staples. They had a whole aisle full of options for our Common Place book, ranging from $7-14. Grant had a great time picking his own Common Place book! He picked a nice leather-bound journal with a magnetic clasp. He was really debating between one with brown "soft" leather and the black one with "hard" leather. He went with the "hard" leather so that he wouldn't scratch it up. :D It's called an executive journal, if that helps your search.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Jen in Va

Post by Jen in Va » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:41 am

It's one of those big Walmarts--in the stationery section, where they have the day planners and stuff. About the size of a dvd box in width, but a little taller. The first one I found was at Target in a similar section of the store, but I noticed them in brown and black leather at Walmart less than two weeks ago. Good luck.

I love those books--I use them for everything--sermon notes, common place book, book journal, knitting journal, you name it. They are a nice size and sturdy, and the paper feels nice, which is an absolute must for me--can't stand rough paper for writing or reading, for that matter.
Jen
Hsing mom of 3:
DS (20) college, home educated k-12
DD (17) 12th grade (2009-10), home educated
DS (6) Beyond (2009-10, have already started--loving it, btw!)

SouthernMrs

Post by SouthernMrs » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi,
I also bought our Commonplace book from this site:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/nth2ht
I purchased the pink one for my dd for Preparing. I see it is not available at this site any longer. She did copy more than just Bible verses into it. There were instructions in the Preparing guide to copy from her history books, poems, or quotes and she also decided if there were some other things she just wanted to add, etc...
We will just continue to use this same book for this year in CTC.
Charlene

Rev2Rev (8th gr. ds)
World History (11th gr. dd)
HOD Users since 2007