DS's retelling of RLS poem

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gotpeace91

DS's retelling of RLS poem

Post by gotpeace91 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:31 pm

Just thought I would share a poem that my son worked on yesterday in Preparing Unit 4. They were encouraged to take some lines from RLS's poem and retell it using some of their own ideas. I know that it has a few issues and a lot of "there"s but I am so pleased because this is my boy who hates to do any kind of writing and he did this cheerfully and was very proud of it. :D

In this house an old story is
of a child playing there.
Through the windows you can look
at the child there.
But the child has grown up
and gone away.
Leaving this story
a broken book.
But legend says that if you look
through the windows there
you can see a child of air
lingers there.

Thinking of skipping the poetry box? Don't do it! Both my dc loved this activity yesterday. I really thought they wouldn't and that they would struggle and take forever with it. Just the opposite! It didn't take them long at all.

Leah
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

my3sons

Re: DS's retelling of RLS poem

Post by my3sons » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:55 pm

Please tell your ds we loved his poetry on the HOD board! :D I completely agree with you about the poetry. Doing the PHFHG's poetry lessons gave my ds the confidence he needed to enjoy creative writing. I really found out a lot about what makes my ds tick. His poems are something he's very proud of - and I am too. :D You are going to have such fun seeing your dc's poetry throughout the year!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

mamaloves4

Post by mamaloves4 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:08 pm

Thanks for sharing this! I really like it!
We did Preparing last year and the Poetry box and my dd surprised me. I must admit some fear and apprehension when we got to that box because my dd has difficulty with 'never seen/done' before activities. However, Poetry, became her favorite subject and she started writing poems for fun. Have fun with this 'box' ! My dd can't wait for the Poetry in CTC.

Jess
Jessica
married for 12 years to Chuck
dd10--Creation to Christ
dd7--Beyond
ds4--LHTH
dd2--filling our days with joy and LHTH fingerplays and stories

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:57 pm

Leah,

Thanks for sharing that! :D Your ds did do a great job! I am so excited to get going with Preparing...it's right around the corner.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

mariaw

Post by mariaw » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:10 am

Tell your son I love it, too! All this poetry writing will make our sons romantic for their wives someday, huh? :lol:

We just finished week 2, and I am also so pleasantly surprised at how well poetry is going! Yesterday, dd wanted to recite her poems to her grandparents and I loved how she got the meter right and did the inflections in her voice. Then she proceeded to tell them everything she knows so far about RLS. I'm so excited--I never knew how to teach poetry before! It's been her favorite box so far (all 8 days :wink: ).
dd9 - Preparing with R&S 3 and Singapore 2
ds7 - LHFHG
ds5 - LHFHG
dd1.5 - in charge of hiding all our pencils

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:58 am

Part of what drew me to HOD was the poetry. My children love poetry!! Oh well, so do I.

I think (partly in jest) that when God created the world, he used poetry. ;-)

We've always saved our daily poetry reading for tea time (snack time). Crack out the real tea cups, sugar cubes, and berries. Then take turns reading poetry aloud (wonderful diction practice). Nothing more fun.

I've heard the Jabberwocky by Carroll, There is No Frigate by Dickinson, and a Shakespeare sonnet all in one tea time. :lol:
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:03 am

Thank you all for your kind words! I told him about it and I could see that it made him feel really good about himself. I love this board where we can all encourage each other! :D
Leah
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:41 pm

Leah,

I loved reading your son's poem! Thank you so much for sharing it! :D Great poets like Robert Louis Stevenson just inspire poetry writing! :wink:

I was never exposed to classic poetry during my school years and have now fallen in love with it as an adult! My boys love poetry, and I'm grateful to Charlotte Mason for prodding me (through her writings) to add it into our school day. Enjoy your writing lessons. :D

Blessings,
Carrie