schedule for emerging readers

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
zuzuspetals

schedule for emerging readers

Post by zuzuspetals » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:41 pm

I see there is a schedule for the emerging reader books in Beyond and the appendix of Bigger. What does this exactly entail? Is it basically an easier version of DITHOR or does it just schedule out the books and include comprehension questions re: the books?

Thanks!

Jen in Va

Re: schedule for emerging readers

Post by Jen in Va » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:00 am

Schedule of books with questions to ask (comprehension, analysis, knowledge, narration, etc.). Huge help to have them right there at your finger tips. The schedule is in the appendix in Beyond and Bigger.
Jen
Hsing mom of 3:
DS (20) college, home educated k-12
DD (17) 12th grade (2009-10), home educated
DS (6) Beyond (2009-10, have already started--loving it, btw!)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Ditto to what Jen said! :D The Emerging Reader's Set's questions are based on Bloom's Taxonomy, which provides an excellent balance of questions. DITHOR questions are also based on Bloom's Taxonomy, so the Emerging Reader's schedule gives a nice foundation for DITHOR to build upon. My dc both had a blast doing the Emerging Reader's set! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Shimmer

Post by Shimmer » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Is there an emergent reader schedule in the back of LHTH or LHFHG? I decided to go with LHTH for my oldest with additional phonics/math work. It sounds like this could be helpful to her, but didn't know if it's available in the lower level guides. I haven't gotten my book yet, or I wouldn't be asking. :) Are there any other resources that would essentially meet the same purpose?
2016-2017
dd1 - ResToRef
dd2 - Preparing
dd3 - Beyond
dd4 - LHTH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:27 am

Shimmer wrote:Is there an emergent reader schedule in the back of LHTH or LHFHG? I decided to go with LHTH for my oldest with additional phonics/math work. It sounds like this could be helpful to her, but didn't know if it's available in the lower level guides. I haven't gotten my book yet, or I wouldn't be asking. :) Are there any other resources that would essentially meet the same purpose?
The Emerging Reader's Schedule is in both the Beyond Little Hearts and the Bigger Hearts guides, but it is not in the LHTH and LHFHG guides. My ds was an early reader, and he finished phonics and was reading books like Frog and Toad, Amelia Bedelia, etc. well on his own when we were halfway through LHFHG. I got the Beyond guide and the Emerging Reader's set at that point, and it worked great! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Shimmer

Post by Shimmer » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:44 pm

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind that I'll have to get Beyond or Bigger to get that schedule.
2016-2017
dd1 - ResToRef
dd2 - Preparing
dd3 - Beyond
dd4 - LHTH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:34 pm

I'll just chime in to mention that the Emerging Reader's Schedule is intended for use when the child has completed phonics (or is on the very tail-end of phonics instruction). :D It is meant to be a transition between phonics and independently reading beginning chapter books. :D

Blessings,
Carrie