Beyond Bio: Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims sequel

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jen in Va

Beyond Bio: Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims sequel

Post by Jen in Va » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:31 am

We've just wrapped up unit 4 of Beyond and have finished our bio--Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims. This week while at the library I was picking up our adventure title for units 5-8. I'm trying to keep to historical figures/places we've read about already or will read about in the near future. Went with A Lion to Guard Us (Jamestown), also by Clyde Bulla. While finding it on the shelf I saw another book by Bulla, John Billington, Friend of Squanto. I pulled that out to bring home, and ds went right for it that night as our bedtime reading. He keeps asking when Squanto will come into the story--gotta get the Pilgrims to America first, babe :wink: Anyway, I thought this might be a title some may be interested in as a follow-up to Squanto.

I love HOD and Beyond!
Jen
Hsing mom of 3:
DS (20) college, home educated k-12
DD (17) 12th grade (2009-10), home educated
DS (6) Beyond (2009-10, have already started--loving it, btw!)

Mommamo

Re: Beyond Bio: Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims sequel

Post by Mommamo » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:15 am

Oh very cool. We actually read the Squanto book last year when we were doing LHFHG because dd always craves more books and we added a bunch. Anyway. She would LOVE that other book. We love Bulla's books. We just finished Sword in the Tree and are reading Lion to Guard Us. Thanks for sharing! We'll see if our library has that book.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:12 pm

My ds loved Squanto - I will definitely have to look for that. He also loved A Lion to Guard Us - so I hope that's a big hit at your house too!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mamma Joy

Post by Mamma Joy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:40 pm

My son absolutely loved the Squanto;Friend of John Billington book, it was a very good read.
Wife to Mr. Wonderful for 18 yrs
Priviledged Mama to be able to homeschool 4 great kids
DD T.O.D. to be a Keeper
DD bigger with ext. & TOD
DS bigger
DD bigger
Tutor to many
DITHOR for all

O God Your Word has given me life.Psalm 119:50

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:15 am

Thanks for telling us. My DD loved Squanto and wanted to read it again. So this will be great news to her. :D
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:37 pm

What fun! The John Billington book by Bulla has been out of print, as it was originally published in the 1950's, so I had to go see if it is back in print. It's not :x , but any book by Bulla is worth having if you can get your hands on it. :D Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Carrie